The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
78 K5

Newer than 06 dash swap

Not new here by any stretch. Just been busy with life and had to start a new account. Going to do either a turboed LS 5.3 or 6.0, 4L60E swap into my 78 K5 (has a 500hp 400 that I built and a 400 turbo but kills me on fuel!) and I am looking to swap in a newer Chevy dash and creature comforts into the Blazer. Heated seats, newer heater and air controls, etc. I know I know... Basically what my 05 GMC Sierra has. Bought the truck at an auction with only 80,000 miles and three years later it has been the best truck I have ever owned next in line to my many square bodies. Swore I'd never need them. But..... Got used to them and want the same in the Blazer. I am a seasoned builder and fabricator so no sweat there. I have seen the later 90's interiors. Just don't care for them. I have measured the dash on my 05 and it will get in the way of the window cranks. Don't know any body with a truck newer than 09 and just walking up to someone and saying, Hey can I measure your dash just seems a bit off. Has anyone here heard of, seen, or heard rumors on any swaps out of a newer than 06 truck into the square bodies? I was told about a diesel swap that has a newer dash but can not find it on the web. I am not scared of work but I do not want to spend 200 plus hours trying to fit a dash in the Blazer. Like to drive it too much. Pics, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated! I can go with the 05 dash if I swap over to power windows but anybody with them knows why I don't care to. Thanks guys!
78 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Newer than 06 dash swap

I saw a pic recently of a square w/a later model dash in it (05-up). Like you mentioned the end of the dash protruded into the pass compartment a lot. The edge was in the vicinity of the manual window crank which just did not 'flow' visually for my taste.

Not sure where I saw the picture. I believe it was from a C-list ad. I'll see if I can find it again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
skyphix

I gathered up a few threads for you

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=newer+dash
EDIT: Apparently the "gmsq..." site is banned from being linked here, hah! Sorry about that.

And here's an excerpt from what I believe is the diesel swap you're looking for
Quote:
- DASH MOD

If you are planning a swap like this, DO NOT cut the stock dash out and try to install the dash from your donor truck. It caused us countless hours of additional work to replace the factory dash and upgrade the cluster. A perfect example of why it is so important to have a plan for the entire project before you get started. If this had stayed a sled pull truck from start to finish the dash mod made some sense. With a truck this clean though, we are confident we made the right decision when we swapped it back.
source: http://blog.calibratedpower.com/blog...-640hp-duramax

Doing the seats, etc, will be easy... the AC and heat, your best bet is likely to look at something like VintageAir and their AC/heat and control units.

In my LS swap, I'm using a standard tablet for my gauge cluster simply because I work in IT and it will be free for me (already have the tablet and a bluetooth OBD2 sender, and own Torque Pro) besides a little fabrication for a mount.

Good luck and post pictures!
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
78 K5

Thanks guys. The truck I heard about was red. I was told it had an 08ish dash in it along with all of the creature comforts. They hooked up all of the controls, perimeter lights, steering column, etc. in the, I believe the guy stated 85, red square body. Still looking for the truck. It was built in Missouri. That much I do know. I once made the mistake of stripping the stock dash out and it truly made everything harder. I had to fab brackets, shims, etc. It was not a fun job. Anyone one else know of one or have success or failure in this area? Any information is welcomed and appreciated.
78 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote