The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2018, 11:48 PM   #26
Problems

Re: Rattle Can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
That looks good. U said u used satin. Satin 2k or rustoleum??

Also, I’m in California so any paint kit I would get would require LOW VOC. Not sure if there are any flat low voc kits out there. Probably are but I didn’t see any.

I just put this on this evening. It’s the color I’m going with on my truck. Haven’t decided if I’m gonna rattle can the whole thing or get a single stage kit in a matching color or somehow get rustoleum in a gallon matched to the color and spray with a gun. Just wanted to get the color on before putting the bed on.

It’s Krylon Satin Sea Glass out of a rattle can.
Nice color! I used a urethane 2k I bought off eBay, hot rod flats or something.
Problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #27
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Problems View Post
X2

You certainly don’t need to tear it down and do a frame off resto. But a cheap HF paint gun and some single stage paint will look better, last longer, and probably be cheaper than all the rattle cans you would need to paint it.

People fear the paint gun, it’s easier than a rattle can IMO
Don’t you need a pretty powerful compressor to run a paint gun?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #28
Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
Depends on how fast you want to paint. If your fine doing a bedside, waiting a few minutes, and repeating all the way around the truck an 8 gallon should be fine. To your point if you want to paint continuously you need a lot of air, my compressor is 80 gallons so I guess I take that for granted.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #29
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
I have a 60gal compressor, 10.2 scfm @90psi.

Not sure it will run a paint gun well, it had a heck of a time keeping up with a blasting cabinet.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #30
Jason Banks

I bought this compressor at harbor freight to spray some cabinetry in a house I was working on. It runs the harbor freight purple gun fine. I have used the purple gun to spray acrylic enamel and some urethane with no problems and a nice finish. I got it for $149 and they frequently have a coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-61454.html

5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI

Purple Gun: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-fl-...gun-62300.html

Says Average Air Consumption 6 CFM @ 40 PSI which is really close to what the compressor can put out. Like someone said above sometimes you have to let the compressor catch up.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
Mollzyie

Well *#• dammit . This thread has me right back at square zero
Paint gun Rattle can paint gun rattle can paint gun ...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #32
Coley

Smile Re: Rattle Can?

I think the rattle can thing works....but it is a last choice within reasonable choices for that particular task.

Rattle cans are great for smaller areas, detailing etc....but when you start to have to cover the square footage of an 18ft truck the scale of advantage vs. effort and results disappears in a hurry I think.
I think once you start buying a box of 16, 20, 25 cans of rattle paint.....it starts to become clear that you aren't on the best road for a paint project, lol.
Let alone the putz around time shaking cans, grabbing the next one, paint-appearance continuity, etc, etc.

At that point, a compressor (even renting one), a spray gun and some basic paint will go faster, farther....for not too much more money I think...and this was well mentioned by Problems and others.

My two bits.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 05-10-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #33
Coley

Maybe think of it this way:

If you end up with a result thats 2 or 3 times better and it cost you $150-$200 more.....would that work?.....and to build on that.....the result also comes a lot quicker noting that it will probably take you 1/4 (or faster) of the time to paint the truck once you start.
I'm pretty sure you'll be out there for hours and hours with rattle cans and a very sore arm and shoulder, lol.
So if you pay yourself even $10/hr for your hobby trouble...that too starts to offset the costs of the compressor driven paint job.

Now....I've never painted a truck with a compressor etc and I am familiar with the 'rattle can' advantage but I've always wondered about the tipping point in this.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 05-10-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #34
Problems

Quote:
I have a 60gal compressor, 10.2 scfm @90psi.

Not sure it will run a paint gun well, it had a heck of a time keeping up with a blasting cabinet.
That’s plenty, my gun says 7.1cfm @ 50 PSI. I run my regulator at the compressor at 90psi and then a regulator at the gun pulling it down to 30-40psi depending on what I’m spraying.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #35
67chevemall

Rattle can 4 life
Spare can in the back pocket
I can paint a whole car in an hour on the side of the road with Minty results. 6am no wind. Washingoing by noon.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #36
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I bought this compressor at harbor freight to spray some cabinetry in a house I was working on. It runs the harbor freight purple gun fine. I have used the purple gun to spray acrylic enamel and some urethane with no problems and a nice finish. I got it for $149 and they frequently have a coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-61454.html

5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI

Purple Gun: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-fl-...gun-62300.html

Says Average Air Consumption 6 CFM @ 40 PSI which is really close to what the compressor can put out. Like someone said above sometimes you have to let the compressor catch up.
Does anyone know if HF sells different fluid tip sizes for these cheap guns ? High build 2K primer sprays better with larger tips.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #37
Swar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
Rattle can 4 life
Spare can in the back pocket
I can paint a whole car in an hour on the side of the road with Minty results. 6am no wind. Washingoing by noon.
This is too good. Made me lol for real. My buddy had a 1986 Pontiac Parisienne (Chevy Caprice) that was grey and we flat blacked the whole car with 4 cans from Walmart. $4 paint job. Rattle can 4 life
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #38
CUDA8U

remove rust
2k prime bare metal
sand the whole area with 180 grit
buy a wagner electric sprayer
quart of olympic gm white
quart of clear

now you have an electric sprayer for all projects
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #39
CUDA8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mGQNrNRzbg
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #40
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I think the rattle can thing works....but it is a last choice within reasonable choices for that particular task.

Rattle cans are great for smaller areas, detailing etc....but when you start to have to cover the square footage of an 18ft truck the scale of advantage vs. effort and results disappears in a hurry I think.
I think once you start buying a box of 16, 20, 25 cans of rattle paint.....it starts to become clear that you aren't on the best road for a paint project, lol.
Let alone the putz around time shaking cans, grabbing the next one, paint-appearance continuity, etc, etc.

At that point, a compressor (even renting one), a spray gun and some basic paint will go faster, farther....for not too much more money I think...and this was well mentioned by Problems and others.

My two bits.

Coley
I agree with everything you said. I'm not going with a basic color (balck/white/red etc). So that adds to painassery of getting the right paint color etc.

I want to paint with my gun, compressor, mask etc. I have the major components but zero experience. I'm ready to give it a shot though.

Major hurdles for me are:

- Cost (paint is more expensive, primer is more expensive too)
- Availability of paint (in the color/sheen I want)
- Time tracking down all the needed stuff (mixing bowls, something to clean the gun, etc etc)
- Time figuring out the process of mixing, spraying, adding new paint to continue the job etc etc
- Time figuring how to clean the gun, then cleaning it
- Time doing proper prep of existing paint to accept primer
- Time doing a proper primer job

I would spend the same amount of time on the bondo body work that needs to be done either way. I've never done body work so I'm not expecting much in the quality of finish (but it will be miles better than how it currently sits)
Farm fresh if you know what I mean. But, rattle canning, you can pretty much scuff with red scotchbrite existing paint then spray right over that. Rattle can I'm looking at using is primer/paint combo.

I know rattle canning is a cheap crap way to paint a car/truck. This truck will NEVER get a professional paint job (not while I own it). Just not that important to me. I have about $3500 into it so far and probably another $800 to get it driving and functioning safely. At that point spending $60 and a morning rattle canning sounds pretty good haha. A couple hundred bucks more would be doable, just have to do more research on finding a satin single stage in Sea Glass color in California.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #41
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper View Post
Does anyone know if HF sells different fluid tip sizes for these cheap guns ? High build 2K primer sprays better with larger tips.
I don't think they do. I have a separate cheapo gun for primer with a larger tip.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #42
hotwls13

Haha, found this while googling:

https://jalopnik.com/why-you-should-...job-1795704984
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #43
binford

I've done both and still do both.
For quick repair, say fender, rattle can is great. Tape it off and shoot. Obviously prep was done.

I use painters touch made by Rust-Oleum sold at home Depot. Drys fast and under $4 a can. Coverage is great too.

Painting my whole truck or just the bed. Then buying by the gallon is more cost effective.
$40 for a gallon at tractor supply.
$10 for hardner.
$8 Naptha for thinning.
$15.00 harbor freight HVLP gun

A gallon of paint really becomes 2 gal
So you able to lay down a couple of good coats.

Don't forget to wet sand the whole truck first.
I spent a week on prep and a couple hours to paint it.

Good luck
binford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #44
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by binford View Post
I've done both and still do both.
For quick repair, say fender, rattle can is great. Tape it off and shoot. Obviously prep was done.

I use painters touch made by Rust-Oleum sold at home Depot. Drys fast and under $4 a can. Coverage is great too.

Painting my whole truck or just the bed. Then buying by the gallon is more cost effective.
$40 for a gallon at tractor supply.
$10 for hardner.
$8 Naptha for thinning.
$15.00 harbor freight HVLP gun

A gallon of paint really becomes 2 gal
So you able to lay down a couple of good coats.

Don't forget to wet sand the whole truck first.
I spent a week on prep and a couple hours to paint it.

Good luck
Nice info there. ANy tips for doing a 2-tone with gun or rattle cans?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #45
Robznob11

If you can get your hands on a gun and compressor it is easy and will have good results. I epoxy primed mine with Eastwood epoxy. I got 2 k high build local for like 100 bucks. I sprayed it all with a HF gun (34$ 2 pack) used the large gun with the largest tip. The 2k high build was rough to the touch but sanded nice. A buddy of mine carried it to his shop and shot the paint (side job hes the painter for a custom rod shop) it does have a few imperfections but not bad for never being in a booth.
Attached Images

,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS

Last edited by Robznob11; 05-10-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #46
Robznob11

Now this is what it looked like when I finished my part maybe 400$ and hours of labor. And the second pic is it now with a 2800$ side paint job. It's all in what you want. I could have rolled it in primer and still grabbed eyes!
Attached Images

,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #47
binford

Cool Re: Rattle Can?

Quote:
Nice info there. ANy tips for doing a 2-tone with gun or rattle cans?
I did a small white stripe at the bottom of my doors. Its less than 6" high. I came up 5" added 1/2" of tape and then came up another 1/2" as the top stripe. It looks good. Rattle can. Red body with a white stripe

The pickups normally have a wide strip, like 18" in the middle or the doors. one can do rattle can.
The issue with rattle can is keeping the edge wet. The wider the area the harder it will be.

The real issue for me is clean up. With a rattle there is none. spray gun take a little more time to clean up.

I've done nice paint jobs too, but your looking about $150 for a qt of paint / qt clear coat /qt thinner / pint of harder. When I'm spending that kind of money I go to my friends shop and he paints it.
binford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #48
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by binford View Post
I did a small white stripe at the bottom of my doors. Its less than 6" high. I came up 5" added 1/2" of tape and then came up another 1/2" as the top stripe. It looks good. Rattle can. Red body with a white stripe

The pickups normally have a wide strip, like 18" in the middle or the doors. one can do rattle can.
The issue with rattle can is keeping the edge wet. The wider the area the harder it will be.

The real issue for me is clean up. With a rattle there is none. spray gun take a little more time to clean up.

I've done nice paint jobs too, but your looking about $150 for a qt of paint / qt clear coat /qt thinner / pint of harder. When I'm spending that kind of money I go to my friends shop and he paints it.
I am planning to do 2-tone (white top of cab and white below lower bodyline). I was thinking spray the white first, give that a few days to harden, then come back, tape off white I want to keep, spray the rest the green color. I imagine there will be a noticeable line/ridge where the green lays on the white??
Old 05-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #49
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Now this is what it looked like when I finished my part maybe 400$ and hours of labor. And the second pic is it now with a 2800$ side paint job. It's all in what you want. I could have rolled it in primer and still grabbed eyes!
Beautiful, bad-ass truck!!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #50
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat69 View Post
Rustoleum Appliance epoxy works good. warm the can up before you spray it.
If you don't have the access to a paint gun/compressor, you CAN use this, and it come out pretty nice. I used it on my bumpers with great results. I'm curious to see what you decide. I have to replace my windshield and was going to cut the edge off my old gasket, then spray the pillars before I take it in.
One aspect you don't have to worry about with the cans is the moisture in the compressor. In the end, if you see any rough areas, color sand it, and polish.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote