The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #76
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: How did you find your Truck -and-Why did you buy your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavenner13 View Post
i found the truck on ebay... listen to the sound clip in my signature if you wanna know why i bought it

LOL!!!

My '71 LWB C10 had (up until very recently) Texas tag # 7DJ N84, only a few removed from yours! Thats funny as hell.

Haven't completely registered it in Arizona yet, but I'll keep my Texas plates for now. Especially since the only road time that beast will see for a little while is getting towed out to Luke AFB so I can use the Auto Hobby shop on base.

Thats awesome!

I actually own two of these guys, and have had a third in the past.

1968 Cali limited edition LWB CST. The truck I was brought home from the hospital in when I was born in 1975. Buddy buckets, console, 78" Laker pipes with shields, Earl Sheib Ochre paintjob (old man himself had been wielding the spraygun), 11" Deep dish chrome reverse cragars with Baby moons and L60's, curb feelers, matched black vinyl rooftopper and tonneau cover. 307 4b with a three speed and no power anything and no A/C.

When I was very young and couldn't sleep, my mom and dad would put me in my carseat (strapped to the top of the console, mind you, lol) and drive me around the block until I went to sleep. Did I mention that this was my Mom's truck?

Loved my Mom's truck then (Dad had a Gremlin station wagon), love it now, especially since it's mine. I call it Spot, because in High School when I got the truck from my grandmother (long story) the Early Scheib paint job would come off with a pressure washer and leave exposed metal. To cover the exposed metal I'd hit it with whatever rattlecan primer I had handy so it had spots all over. My friends would make fun of the fact that it was constantly needing some kind of work done where the truck would be out of commission
for the weekend and I'd get "See Spot run, See Spot Die, See James spend money, See Spot Run, See Spot Die" jokes.

I had (very briefly) a 1967 LWB 3/4 4x4 with power brakes and steering, A/C, Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear, NP 205 transfer case and that top loading, granny geared Muncie 4 speed. The truck had a 3 inch suspension lift with 33" Super Swamper TSLs on plain old chrome 16.5" steele wheels (not factory but not worth remembering, either). It had a pristine body on it. No Bondo, little if any rust that I can remember. It needed brakes and a stepstool so my short ass could get up into it, but other than that it looked good and ran real good. I had that truck for exactly a month when I had to go to 29 Palms for two months while in the Marine Corps. When I came back the asshole PMO guys on Pendleton had towed it away as it had outdated registration and was parked in barracks parking. It had outdated registration because I didn't want to register that monster in Southern California and had sent my paperwork to Texas and was waiting on it when I got sent to 29 palms. When I showed the PMO (THE Provost Marshal, not one of his lackeys) my paperwork he at least attempted to find my truck but the paperwork had mysteriously gotten lost somewhere between the base and the wrecking yard. I'd see it around town occasionally in Oceanside for the next three years before I got out but could never catch the Marine that was driving it.

Which brings me to the 71. Bought it with the check that I eventually wrangled out of base legal from a Buddy of mine. The truck is nothing special, just a plain old orange and white LWB C10 power brakes and steering, no A/C. After market el cheapo CD player and a slightly warmed over 350/350 powertrain.

Love these trucks and plan on continuing the hobby until they put me in the ground (or I can't afford parts anymore, whichever comes first).

Last edited by JVictor75; 08-12-2007 at 06:35 AM.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #77
jott_06
Camaro Club

I had seen the ad for my truck for months and thought it sounded like a cool truck. It said 1968 GMC, 327, th400, B&M truck shifter $1200 obo. I didnt really have the money to buy it and i wasnt really looking to buy anything right then. But over the winter i redid my camaro and planned to race it this summer so i needed a truck to haul it with so i started looking through the classifieds and i called about many trucks and that one was the closest so i though i'd at least check it out so i went to see it and it didnt look the greatest because it had sat for 4 years but it was really solid for a 68. The man told me he bought it in california in 1998 right before he moved back to ohio and he drove it all of the way home and continued to drive it untill 2002 when he got a newer truck. I ended up talking him down to $900 and i went and got it the next day. It isnt going to be for pulling my car though now. i plan to do a hot rod style shop looking truck out of it.
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #78
truckgal_1971

about 10 in the morning some guy pulled into my driveway with a beat up old blue gmc and boy did that thing rumble. well about twenty minutes later my dad called me into the shop and said that he was going to trade our motor home for my truck and to see if i wanted it and if that was what i was looking for to redo. I was so excited i absolutly loved it. that truck was ment to be mine, it fell right into my lap, and i plan to show it off the the extream.

1971 GMC Long Step Side
truckgal_1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #79
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Well here we go...I had a 1999 S-10, finally got it paid off, decided I needed a boat. I went to an auto dealership and there sat a nice red/white 17' Nitro, good price...Only problem was my little 4-banger stick would have fits pulling it. So I aksed them to put together a boat/truck package for me...they did. I left with a new boat, a 2005 F-150, and for the first time NOT a chevrolet/GMC. I drove it home, quickly decided I hated it (the boat was fine just didn't have time to use it). So I decided I wanted one of those cool old trucks late 60's early 70's, you know one of those bad-ass trucks. I started watching, seeing them in yards, finally I saw one on Ebay. It looked rough, but I could tell it was straight and essentially rust free, and close. Ended up buying it with a last second bid of $242. Drove 70 miles to a place called Bandana (right down from Money's Elbow or eyebrow I forget which), picked her up and brought her home. Been sanding, bondoing, sanding, and primering ever since (its only been about a month). I promptly ordered replacement seats at a price of $242, bought a 307 a guy took out of his '69 for $20, and a guy at the race track gave me a 700r4 transmission. Can't wait to get her on the road and sell that thing I drive everyday!!!

Last edited by Brock; 08-13-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #80
Deuce

Bought my truck off this board from PJMoreland for $3500 plus I paid him to drive it from Colo to Calgary, Alberta.

Heres a OLD pics Patrick sent me of when he 1st built the truck..............

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #81
NICK3757

I found my truck in the old pontiac dealership. I was visiting the body guy who was renting one part of the garage. Myself being a curious 14 year old started to explore he building. Then I saw the truck resting there. A few years passed and I finally convinced the owner to sell it to me. Now being 17 and dying for a truck I wanted this one really bad. It had 39,000 miles with a 307 and a 3spd, plus it was a short box. While i was helping the body guy close up his shop i asked the owner how much for the truck. So he goes to the other guy there and asks him if he still wanted the truck. So he says "hell yea. I got first dibbs on it!" The owner says $600, and the guy says "sold." I thought I was going to die. He wanted to cut it up for the engine and trans, then he said he wanted to put a 90's stepside bed on it, and then he said, "as soon as this goes in my basement, i'll never sell it until i die." After a few days of going down there and bothering him about the truck, He didn't show up one day. I was stopping by between school and vo-tech when i asked the owner where he was. He said he didn't know and that they were supposed to go transfer the tittle today. So I got his phone number and gave him a call at tech. I told him, "i'll give you $800, just don't touch the truck." It seemed like an eternity of the phone for him to decide what to do but he sold it to me. ( The guy was really sheap and about 70 years old.) So now i have my truck and i'm happy with it. I've had it about 4 months and put about 1000 miles on it so far. That truck runs like a top. Thats it, Sorry for the long story though, I just like telling it alot.
NICK3757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:55 AM   #82
NICK3757

Forgot pics.
Attached Images

NICK3757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #83
BraveDave

Nearly 6 years ago, I was driving a 1999 S-10 pickup that was nearing 130,000 miles. I am a land surveyor and thought it was about time to think about getting a new truck. I considered getting a '71 or '72 chevy with an updated drivetrain. I knew the gas mileage wouldn't be as good, but I thought I could find something decent for 8-10K so that would more than make up for the difference. I logged onto eBay, looking for something with disc brakes, and found this '72 Cheyenne Super. It only had two pics and they were not very good. Blurry and from the back, they didn't give a very good depiction of what this truck really looked like. I sent the seller an email and asked for more pics. What he sent really got me excited. They were very clear and it was easy to see that this was a truck worth owning. He had bought the truck a couple of years earlier from a guy who tried to fix it up. They had installed a Vortec 350, Turbo 350 with a shift kit and painted the truck and had the interior re-done. The only bad thing was that they had tried to mate the '72 AC to the new compressor and got the wiring all wrong..that, and they heated the coil springs with a torch, so the truck sat lop-sided. When I got the truck, it was much nicer than what I had originally thought it would be and there was no way I was going to used this for a daily driver. I bought the truck for 9K, added Vintage Air, and dropped spindles and dropped springs, front and rear, and the Torq-Thrust II's Other than that, I have done nothing but drive it and enjoy it.

Last edited by BraveDave; 08-13-2007 at 01:00 AM.
BraveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 AM   #84
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK3757 View Post
Forgot pics.
Don't paint that sucker - those signs are cool!!!
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #85
aventur1

See post for more photos and information, maybe I should have posted here? " Just getting started" Saw a local add, looked it over and bought it. I'm tired of new trucks. Seems like a good start and for $1300.
Attached Images

aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #86
alschevy
Account Suspended

went down a diffent road and found my truck in a guys yard it is a 1967 chevy one ton tow truck home made the guy was useding it to up in egines
in cars and trucks i have had it for to years last time it was towing was 2002
she is a short wheel base 4 speed it has a 305 in it but will have 68 327
i will be puting on a lot better 67 chevy truck cab and a 500 holmes wrecker
boom rear gear is 411 now but befor it was 456 than befor that it was 513 and the engine befor was 250 i only pay $ 267 for her i am still useding it is a
wrecker
alschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 AM   #87
67shortie
Green club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
Don't paint that sucker - those signs are cool!!!

Just what I was thinking too, drop it, nice big wheels, large disk brakes and a decent interior and engine. Leave the body/paint like it is

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 AM   #88
Canadian694x4
Born To Lose Club

Location: Calgary, Alberta/Oxenden, Ontario, Great White North

Great Thread!

I Found My Truck In The Local AutoTrader When I Was 21. I Was Holding Out For A 4x4 Of The 67-72 Vintage. At The Time I Didn't Care What Year Exactly (I.E. I Wasn't Strictly looking For Say A '72 Chev). So I Called On It And I Arranged With The Owner To Have His Girlfriend Show Me The Truck As He Was On The Road (Long Haul Truck Driver).

That Next Morning I Drove 2 And Half Hours To See The Truck. When I Got There I Didn't See The Truck Outside (Owners Girlfriend Had Said She'd Pull It Outside To Help Me Find The Place). After Confirming I Was In Fact At The Right Place She Said She'd Open The Garage And Pull The Truck Out. I Remember Hearing The Beast Fire Up, And As The Garage Door Opened And The Truck Pulled Out In The Noon Day Sun, I Instantly Fell In Love. I Knew I Had To Have It. Just Something About A Feeling I Had When I First Saw It In Person, Undecribable...It's A Feeling I Haven't Yet Duplicated.

In Hindsight, I Will Say I Paid Too Much For It In Reality And Not To Mention I Prolly Should Have Tried Shopping Around A Little LOL, But Its Been Worth Every Penny To Me And Always Will Be.

I Love My '69 Chevy K10
Attached Images

1972 GMC K2500 Custom LWB Fleetside - Proud Owner For 2 Yrs - 1 of 571 Built & Sold In Canada! - 350 V8/SM465/NP205, 4” Rough Country Lift, 33” Interco TSL Thornbirds
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 4x4 - Proud Owner For 15 Yrs
- 6.6L V8 Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000, 2" Lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700r - Proud Owner For 13 Yrs - ITP Mud Lites.
2015 John Deere 1025R - Proud Owner For 6 Yrs - 24HP Diesel/H120/54D/260B/SB1154.
Canadian694x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #89
Crazy14720

I had just taken a new job and had received a huge sign on bonus. I was going to buy what I thought was my dream car. On the way to the dealer I drove by and saw this one parked with a for sale sign off a big street.

I thought my wife would be mad when I came home with a mistress instead of the IS250 we had been speccing for 2 months. She was actually just as happy as I was... and we have never looked back
Crazy14720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #90
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

My first Suburban came after a search for a classic large enough for a family of 5. I always loved the 67-72 vintage trucks as my dad and step dad both owned a few. I found a 72 sub locally and bought it only to find out it was rusted worse than I thought and I paid way to much. I decided to turn this into a parts Sub and a few years later I found a 70 Sub that originally came from Cali. This Sub was in much better shape and partially restored. I probably paid to much for this one too in hindsight. My last purchase was just a few weeks ago when I saw a friend at the local ice cream stand and he told me there was a 72 Jimmy at his place for sale. I stopped by to take a look purely out of curiousity but was stunned by how rust free it was. I let it sit for two weeks before I made an offer. Finally I think I bought a classic for a great price. Wisdom comes with age.

Here are some pics of my toys.

Aaron
Attached Images

- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #91
mnunn454

As a teenager in the early 70's I had a 61 Apache that I just loved. Wore it slap out. Played with Camaros and dragsters and after getting married owned a few F150s. Always kept my fondness for Chevy trucks. After the kids were raised and married, started windowshopping for my next hobby to see if it would scratch my "never left me" motorhead itch. Sent a few pictures of Ebay candidates to my very sneaky wife, who bought mine in secret as a 25th wedding anniversary present. The rest is all parts lists, busted knuckles and empty bank accounts. (No, I don't recommend this approach. The truck needed a lot more work than indicated in the ad)
Attached Images

29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #92
Lugnutt

I bought my 72 Chev. from the original owner... GM.

Back when I was 21, married and waiting for my first son to be born, I had decided to buy a new truck as soon as things calmed down. He was born healthy and mom was doing great so a month later I ordered it to my specification with all the upgrades I could think of. The only thing I regret is the tall 3.07 gears. As soon as the one year warranty was up I mounted 12.00x16.5 tires and rims (dealers back then threatened to void the drivetrain warranty if you mounted large tires on them).

Now after 35 years and almost 90,000 miles the old girl (my truck) needs some fixin-up. Thanks to all of you for the help and advice; not done yet though.
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #93
1970bowtie

ever since i saw copperhead on trucks when i was about 12 or 13 i fell in love with this body style. i went through about 400 auto traders looking for the right truck, and didnt have any luck finding something in my price range.one of my friends had told me about a 71/72 short fleet setting in a field with a bunch of other old vehicles. i figured the guy wouldnt sell it or would want to much so i didnt pay much attention to it. i was sitting around one day with nothing to do, so i decided to go look the the truck.i drove by and just had to have the truck. it was a 72, lowered and tubbed with a 4 inch cowl hood.so i turned around and knocked on the door...found out the truck had no engine or trans, but had new tweed interior and NO RUST, anyway i asked the guy if he would sell it.he said no..and told me someone offered him $2500 for it. and he turned them down. so i was heading back to the car when i thought to ask him if he knew anyone that had a truck for sale and he gave me a number, i called it and bought 2 trucks from the guy.
as of now im trying to put one together out of 2 before i have to go back to school

then i ended up with the gmc, and i havent had much joy out of it...just lots of wasp stings...
WTT 2 15x10 american racing outlaw 2 wheels for 2 of the same in a 15x7 or 15x8

Last edited by 1970bowtie; 08-16-2007 at 10:33 PM.
1970bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #94
Peter82
Everything is Custom

Cool Re: How did you find your Truck -and-Why did you buy your truck?

i had finished 5 years in the Marines and moved back to Ohio. i relized all i had was a motorcycle and that wasnt going to count for the winter. my buddie told me that he had a truck that had just been setting around for a few years. i got it for $750.00 and now i am looking to make this thing a show truck, with lambo doors. ha ha...
Attached Images

Peter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #95
roughedup72

after I bought my 70 from my brother it caught on fire and I bought it back from the Insurance comp. It was sitting in the driveway and I was trying to decide where to start and waiting on the insurance check to come in when my other brother said he would buy it from me, sso I said o.k. now the search began for another truck and my wife found my 72 sitting at a gas/ service station. She called me and said it looked as if it was in decent shape and that it had a camper on it. I went and looked at it and noticed that it was pretty beat up but that everything looked like it had been serviced frequently especially when I open the hood and it popped right up. On the hood it had stickers from all of its oil changes from 3500 miles untill when I bought it. I called the owner and she told me her father had bought it in 72 to go on camping trips and that the service station was his and his brothers, He had passed away and she was selling it, It has alot of potential and alot of good stories behind it so I bought it. It still needs alot of work but since its a daily driver, it still needs alot of work.
Attached Images

1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #96
GKsport67

I found my first C-10 while passing thru a small town in South carolina.

My second C-10 i found on www.oldride.com i was the first 1 to offer the guy a down payment for it!

WHY i bought it...TO PAY HOMAGE TO MY GRANDFATHER!! He raised me in a 67 c-10 small window stepside! powder blue!
and because of this one...

i saw this one in May 2003 in the classic section of truckin! from then on i was determine to build one

Last edited by GKsport67; 06-04-2008 at 07:28 PM.
GKsport67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #97
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Got my K20 from the original owner that lived across the street. He and his wife retired, sold their house and are motor homing it. I was heading out the door to work one day and he stopped me and asked me to come over after work. When I came home I walked over. He asked if I would like to have all his garage type stuff and both his trucks. Welders air compressors etc etc etc and a 73K20 and a 71K20. I wasnt really looking for anything at the time, but he made me such a smoking deal...everything for less than just what the 71 was worth I snapped it all up. I did promise him I wouldnt sell the 71, which I wont. I really love that truck.

Last edited by CG; 06-04-2008 at 07:37 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #98
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

My Dad found our truck for sale in june of '07 sitting in a driveway on one of the main streets of Almonte. price tag $500 on his way home from work he stopped in but no one was there, an hour later Dad and I went back caught the owner, and my dad offerd him $400...actually he pulled the old trick of only putting $400 in his wallet. Next day I woke up and there it was sitting infront of our Garage. The past summer/fall, and this spring have been a struggle to get our shop ready, we now have real Electricity to run a welder, and we pretty much re-did the whole interior of the garage. we're ready, i just need to get the FORD out of the garage...its liek the needy child that gets the attention, when it should be focused on the Patient one, the 71 GMC. yeah its GMC but it has a chevy frontclip...and it will probably stay that way.

I dont care what anybody thinks, im proud of my truck

the frame is bad, but we have a new one. and a donor truck. Let the good times roll! :GMC:
Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #99
69RAT

After having 10 or 12 of these trucks over the years (some of which I really kick myself for getting rid of) I finally got the only one I hadn't had and had always wanted. 25 years ago a guy worked for me that had bought a 69 CST 396 w/air new. Needless to say I bugged him for the 10 years he worked for me to sell it to me. In the meantime his daughters learned to drive in it etc etc. I lost track of him in the early 90's when I moved to Boise Id., there I bought a 69 GMC Sierra Grande and drove it several years. I moved back and sold it (like a dummy) because my new wife couldn't start it with a manual choke. After a year I started looking for another truck in earnest, I'm hopeless on 67-72's. Anyway, through a friend of a friend of a friend, Gary found me. He called on thursday eve and asked jokingly if I still wanted his truck (he remembered promising me first shot at it). I couldn't get off work early enough on Friday!!!! I drove the 3 hours and there sat the 69 CST in her faded black original paint, NO RUST (dry eastern Washington), 102,000 original miles, one small dent, and WORKING AC! He said "I rebuilt the engine about 10,000 miles ago, and was going to repaint her. My wife came down with cancer 4 years ago and I need a newer truck to take her and the trailer south for the winter". As we reminisced about old fishing trips we'd taken in the truck came the bombshell. "If you'll keep it black, modernize it a little-but keep it basically stock, you can have it for $1500". I got home at 1:00 in the morning and left at 6am with my son to go get it! Drove it home in 95 deg weather in comfort with the ac on and no problems. It's been a long slow process to redo suspension, steering, adding disks, rewiring, power windows and doors, lowered2-1/2 and 4, and replacing the interior. Next comes a new tranny and rear end, then paint and she'll be done hopefully this year! My wife has complained about the "money" I'm putting in it but when she remembers what a new truck payment is, and that mine will be "NEW" when done she quiets down. Now she wants a green 68!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #100
bdydrp97s10

well thos is my forst 67-72 truck.. like most i think they are the best loking truck out there as far as a classic goes.. but this past winter i started looking for a new project.. i started looking for a 67 cadillac deville but when i saw a 68 c10 in the trading post i thought i would look at it because i always liked the steel dash.. and i love short bed fleetsides..

so i went to the owners house and the bed was perfect no rust in it anywhere.. A PERFECT short fleet.. other than that it had the ussual rust(rockers, cab corners, a pillars, and door bottoms) It already had a 350, and a nearly perfect interior that had been redone at some point.. so i figured with the engine, interior, and the perfect bed the truck was a steal at $1500. I came and picked it up the next day

then once i got it home i decided to rip out the good interior and trash it.. toss the engine in favor of a crate engine and start on body work..

right now its almost ready for paint.. thats my story of how i enterd the 67-72 chevy truck world.. and i have found this site useful for finding parts and just generql info..
bdydrp97s10 is offline   Reply With Quote