The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
Driver_WT

Assembling Doors and Components

My truck is a 53 Chevy, but it came with 1950 doors (no vent window) plus all of the parts for the door (window parts, door latch parts, etc.). Also came with new repop window regulators. Anyone have any instructions on putting all the parts in the doors, what comes first, etc. I am not even sure if I have all of the parts, so any diagrams would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Wade
Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Assembling Doors and Components

an assembly manual is great to have for these projects that you didn't take apart yourself (even if you did take it apart yourself actually). they are available at a lot of places that sell parts or on ebay, amazon etc. maybe somebody on here has a digital version they could send you or send the part you need for the doors.
here is an example of the 55-59 assembly manual just so you can see what to expect. I quickly checked online but didn't see a free download for the 47-54 models. maybe if you spend a few minutes you could find one like this one though.

https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
jweb

Here's a link to the 48-51 shop manual, most of the door info is on 1-9 & 1-10. I think there's a different assembly manual available, but this might help.

It's been a few years since I did mine but it seems like the important part is to do the latch and exterior handle before the glass run channels.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
mr48chev

The assembly manual won't have instructions on it.

The service manual does. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...ruck/index.htm
Click on BODY
Click on door window replacement 1-10 and then scroll to the one piece glass replacement section that is after the section with vent windows.

That isn't an extreme amount of help as it is just about replacing a broken piece of glass.

The regulator and it's hardware need to be in place and if memory serves right you want the piece that the glass frame fastens to low but it doesn't need to be all the way down.

As with most door glass with a tapered front side you put the front in first and then rock the glass back level after the back side is in the door and the bottom corner of the glass is in it's channel bringing the front up into it's channel and then either set it on the the regulator arm channel or raise the channel to it.

Remembering back to the 70's when I last put glass in my 48 after replacing the channel it can be a bit of a challenge to get the glass to turn to level with new channeling and you might want a helper with strong hands to hold the glass up while you reposition your hands.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 09-23-2020 at 02:06 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
Here's a link to the 48-51 shop manual, most of the door info is on 1-9 & 1-10. I think there's a different assembly manual available, but this might help.

It's been a few years since I did mine but it seems like the important part is to do the latch and exterior handle before the glass run channels.
Thanks, but I can't see a link in your post. Can you retry?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Driver_WT

Ok, makes sense to start with latch and exterior door handle. Thanks for the other info. I will take a look and give that a try. And I will try to find an Assembly Manual and a Service Manual too.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
Thanks, but I can't see a link in your post. Can you retry?
Sorry, I don't know what happened to the link. It looks like MR. 48 gave the same one I was thinking of.

Not sure what the difference is but here's the 1947 also
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...ruck/index.htm
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
mr48chev

Those instructions are a bit vague as they only cover replacing a window in a truck. They are detailed for changing a window but don't cover putting in the felt channel or tracks for the channel.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Those instructions are a bit vague as they only cover replacing a window in a truck. They are detailed for changing a window but don't cover putting in the felt channel or tracks for the channel.
Yes, and I have to install everything. I will start with the exterior door handle and latch first, then the tracks and felt channel and then the regulator and glass. Hopefully that is the right order of installation.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
Yes, and I have to install everything. I will start with the exterior door handle and latch first, then the tracks and felt channel and then the regulator and glass. Hopefully that is the right order of installation.
You can find several YouTube videos that show what you're looking for step-by-step. I'm too lazy to look them up, but here's a search that will get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...pickup+windows

Just be grateful you don't have the vent window to complicate things!