The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #76
ChrisDollins

Re: My 66 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic67 View Post
I know you lowered the drop 2/4 but If at all possible could you elaborate as to what was done in front & back, Tire sizes would be a great help too. I just purchased a 1966 C10 and I'm going for that exact look, that info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No problem, but there are a ton of trucks on the board that are nicer than mine!

On the front I used '79 BBC suburban ball joints in the original '66 a-arms. Attached the '79 spindles to that with '79 tie-rods and center link to the '79 steering box attached to the frame with CaptainFab's bracket. Used '79 rotors and calipers for the front, as well as the metering/proportioning valve. The booster and master cylinder are from a 95ish C10. I made my own lines which are in dire need of rerouting and cleaning up. The power steering pump was a factory one taken from a 70's blazer I believe with a 250 I-6. The factory steering shaft had to be cut down to attach with captain fab's adapter for the rag joint. Front springs are 2.5" lowering springs, unsure of brand. Rear is all factory with 4" lowering springs from same brand I do not remember. I haven't installed the adjustable track bar yet, and my drivers tire rubs a little in hard turns. Wheel and tire sizes are: Front 225/75-15 on a 15x6; Rear 275/60-15 on a 15x8 with a spacer since the backspacing is incorrect. Sorry, I don't know the backspacing on the wheels, it has been too long. Hopefully that will help ya. Anything else, let me know!

Have fun with the truck!
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #77
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Late to a build thread again but glad i found it. Very nice truck, theres just something about a black truck with white.

missed talking with you at the cruise-in but there will be other adventures especially since you'll got kin in my neighborhood. i also love eureka springs, its like out of place around here, should be in switzerland or someplace else. very cool artsy town.

nice growing family you've got… you are a lucky guy.
Thank you Clem! I got lucky with the color, that's what it already was. The cruise-in had so much going on, really enjoyed it. The truck will make the trek next year, hopefully me and Justin (my brother) will be able to slip away for the evening and hang out more. Eureka is crazy, hard to believe it's where it is! A European city just comes out of no where in the middle of Arkansas mountains, pretty funny. Thank you, I'm proud of my little family! Ready for our little girl to get here!

Chris
Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #78
ChrisDollins

Had a fun little cruise-in today with the local car club. First thing this morning I had to either fix the brakes or take the wife's Charger. So I swapped out my master cylinder with a new one since I didn't have the fittings to install the new adjustable p-valve and the more I thought about it, I thought the master could be the problem. Didn't get to bleed the system as much as I would have liked, but it is MUCH better! We expected quite a bit more of a turnout for the cruise, but I think deer season and the "long" cruise turned some away. It was only an hour cruise (one-way), but you know how some are lol. We left from the local NAPA at 11, and took the back roads to a cool place to eat in southern MO called Crumpie's. Great place to eat. Couldn't have asked for better weather! It was gorgeous out. After we ate and had enough car talk, the last four of us to leave took an even longer route home and stopped to look at the river. I forgot to take pics at the restaurant of all the cars that were there, but did grab some on the way home. Truck did well, and new master cylinder is doing great. Here are a couple of pics from today.

Chris

Car list was:
'55 Chevy
80's Cadillac
Classic VW bug convertible
50's Plymouth business coupe
Prowler
'72 C10
'66 C10
Two bikes

Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #79
dwcardfan

Looks like a good time. Maybe I can go to the next one.
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #80
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcardfan
Looks like a good time. Maybe I can go to the next one.
Yea hopefully! Torrey Stevens said there is a cool Ma and Pop restaurant in Lynn that is really good. Maybe the weather will cooperate and we can take a cruise down your way. I'd like to stop by and check the truck out too if possible! May just drive the 66 down that way one day and hang out or lend a hand when you're out there working on it.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic67
I know you lowered the drop 2/4 but If at all possible could you elaborate as to what was done in front & back, Tire sizes would be a great help too. I just purchased a 1966 C10 and I'm going for that exact look, that info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No problem, but there are a ton of trucks on the board that are nicer than mine!

On the front I used '79 BBC suburban ball joints in the original '66 a-arms. Attached the '79 spindles to that with '79 tie-rods and center link to the '79 steering box attached to the frame with CaptainFab's bracket. Used '79 rotors and calipers for the front, as well as the metering/proportioning valve. The booster and master cylinder are from a 95ish C10. I made my own lines which are in dire need of rerouting and cleaning up. The power steering pump was a factory one taken from a 70's blazer I believe with a 250 I-6. The factory steering shaft had to be cut down to attach with captain fab's adapter for the rag joint. Front springs are 2.5" lowering springs, unsure of brand. Rear is all factory with 4" lowering springs from same brand I do not remember. I haven't installed the adjustable track bar yet, and my drivers tire rubs a little in hard turns. Wheel and tire sizes are: Front 225/75-15 on a 15x6; Rear 275/60-15 on a 15x8 with a spacer since the backspacing is incorrect. Sorry, I don't know the backspacing on the wheels, it has been too long. Hopefully that will help ya. Anything else, let me know!

Have fun with the truck!

EDIT: Forgot, used CaptainFab's bracket for the booster to firewall, and then added length to the brake pedal pushrod. I haven't lowered the mounting point on the pedal yet. The pedal feel is really light, but just glad my brake situation is hopefully over haha.

Chris
Old 11-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #81
Erratic67

Thanks for the info. It makes it much easier when there is a direction you want to go and instructions to follow. I will begin ordering the parts needed from ECE and hopefully installing them shortly after, as time permits.
As you mentioned, "there are many nicer trucks" but I've done countless hours of research, viewed thousands of pics. and your truck stays in my memory bank. Don't know if it's the color combination, great pics. or the story along with its history. This is my first restoration and I'm excited about experiencing what is in store for me, as I will be making this my daily driver. Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with the info.

Sincerely thankful,
Erratic67
Erratic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #82
ChrisDollins

I've drove the truck to work the past two days and am planning on taking it tomorrow too. Wanting to get all of the little bugs worked out and dd it for a little while I sell my wife-hand-me-down car. Wanting to replace it with a 4th gen Z28 like I use to have. Think I'm going through an early mid-life crisis. That's what my wife calls it anyways lol.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 AM   #83
Grizz1963

I really do love this truck as well.

The whole story and as you have evolved it, things like the bed wood, starting out and then just doing the lot.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #84
dwcardfan

Oh yea that truck is looking good. I have to come see it in person soon. The mid life crisis has started but I don't think it ever ends. Lol
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #85
ChrisDollins

Took the truck on a nice cruise yesterday to Donnie's place in Strawberry. Such beautiful country out that way! A friend of mine rode with me that loves old trucks too. He's working on a '61 Ford unibody. Anyhow, we wound up taking the wrong section of hwy on the way down. Anyone that's from here knows that the road system is kinda funny at times. There are like 3 hwy 115's, 117's, and 166's. And some of them are pretty far apart. So needless to say, we took the wrong one lol. Ended up seeing a lot of nice country and a bunch of old cars and trucks out too. Made it to Donnie's and checked out his sweet pickup. Super slick truck! So many cool things with it and great attention to detail. I wish I would have felt a little better and could of actually spoke more lol.

The reason for the trip was my Mom had been to a restaurant or something that had a tailgate bench out front. She decided that was what she wanted for Christmas. So the hunt for a 60-66 tailgate was on. I knew surely one of our local truck guys would have one I could buy. But of course good-guy Donny wouldn't let me buy it. Wish we would have had time to cruise the trucks somewhere to eat so I could buy your lunch. Anyways, I'll post pics of the process with the bench. Here's a few pics of the trip, tailgate bench, and a pickup for sale on the way home with a keg gas tank. Pretty cool.

Chris
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisDollins; 12-06-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #86
ChrisDollins

Finished the tailgate bench today for Mom's Christmas. Thank you again Donnie for the tailgate!!

Chris
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisDollins; 12-12-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #87
dwcardfan

You are welcome Chris. It looks good. I am sure your mother will love it.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #88
Ta2Don

Looks great Chris...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #89
ChrisDollins

Thanks guys! It went together pretty quick. Thankfully had the boards laying around. Want to make another one for the shop. Might make a few small changes next time, but I'm happy with it.

Chris
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #90
clemdaddy

bench looks great and what a nice thing for your mom. the fact that she wanted one is the coolest part. but watch out, she'll be wanting a truck next...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #91
ChrisDollins

Thanks Clem! You're probably right, I'm suprised she hasn't asked for one yet. We get to go for a truck ride every once in a while.

Chris
Old 12-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #92
ChrisDollins

I was in the tinkering mood I guess haha. Put this lamp together using stuff laying around. Giving this to Dad for Christmas. Everyone is getting car parts haha. Kinda want to keep both of then for the office though! Have to build some more. Sorry for the crappy phone pics. It's an aluminum Corvette valve cover, copper line and a rearend cover.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #93
ChrisDollins

Finally switched the truck over to floor shift. Bought the old indy shifter off of eBay and had the handle lengthened 6". I polished all of the wear sections and greased them to help make it smoother working. The linkages were difficult to get just right. They could still use some adjusting to get the stick placement just right, but it works good for now haha. If you put it together like it looks like it's suppose to be, 2/3 and R/1 are reversed lol. It really changed the dynamic of the truck, I like it much better in the floor. Now just have to find a boot for it.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #94
Ta2Don

Diggin the lamp and the shifter...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #95
ChrisDollins

Thanks Don! I'm ready to get the 283 ready to drop in now. Believe it or not, I'm still having a little brake issue. It just comes and goes. I need to start completely fresh with the new layout.

Chris
Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #96
dwcardfan

Shifter looks right at home!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #97
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Lamp and shifter are sweet!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #98
clemdaddy

dig the shifter... why would anybody want it on the column? really good addition. and the lamp, rocks. hope that was not a staggered bolt pattern valve cover as they are rare and i would be hitting you up for it.

very cool...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #99
ChrisDollins

Thanks guys! I'm really liking the shifter. It's not perfect, but it fits the cheap 60's hotrod style of the truck.

To ease your mind, it wasn't an offset pattern. It was aluminum, but looked like normal pattern. A section of flange was cracked and broke upwards. It was left in the basement of one of my rentals, so I took it to the shop. Would love to find a set for the 283. But the script covers will work for now. I'll post some pics of it here soon as well.

Chris
Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #100
Bomp

Read through the build. Awesome history and love the bench/light project. Following along from here on out.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote