The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #476
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
My guess is the carpet was put there to keep the springs from punching through the foam. I just might have to try that on mine to see if it works

On the radio, there are some companies that rebuild your original with all new internals to have a modern system with that original look. That's what I would do if I had an original radio, but I don't think Frankentruck came equipped with a radio, and the PO hacked my dash a little
Thanks Christian...I will look into that and see if I can find a vendor that doesn't want an arm and a legs to refurbish the radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I think the tags are cool...

I would do as Christian said...I would get the radio rebuilt to modern conversion...to have the old school look with modern technology. That is what I am planning on doing one day.
Yeah Andy will have to see if I can find someone to do it and a cost....may not be cost effective but doesn't hurt to check.

Not a lot done today...we had Church work day so spent most of the day doing spring cleaning around the Church......But when I got home the ole mailman brought me my refurbished locks and new keys from the Lockdoc...Mr Leon.

The key on the right is the original key...Mr Leon had some original blanks and cut me two keys along with redoing my lock cylinders and re keying the glove box lock I got from Winston...definitely no slop in the locks now....
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #477
Johns 66

A Lil Update...Pretty much torn a part...all that's left is steering column and brake booster. Got the firewall cleaned up. Put POR 15 on all the firewall seams and painted the wiper trough area with POR 15, Also painted inside the fresh air vents.

When I sanded the dash I noticed I had some surface rust on the inside of the dash near the windshield in the trough near the windshield...I guess it was from condensation from the windshield so I also gave it a coat of POR 15. Started cleaning the frame as well.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #478
Johns 66

Few more details.

Took the front cradle out. Its amazing at how dirt and rust seizes bolts and nut...but I guess after 50+ years its to be expected. I only had to cut one bolt off which I didn't think was too bad

Started cleaning the frame......Slow process but itll be worth it. Once the frame is cleaned up then Ill get the cradle torn apart, cleaned up and then painted. Trying to decide if I wanna do the brakes now or wait till a later date....If I do the brakes now I will have to get new wheels since mine are 6 lug and the discs will be 5 lug. Much easier to do it now but have to think about the cost of all of it.

I did get the underside of the dash cleaned as well, all the old "Stuff" was taken out and cleaned up. I will epoxy it when I prime the inside of the cab.

Will get the steering column and brake booster off tomorrow and that should be it for the cab as far as dis-assembly
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #479
cwcarpenter98

Dadgum, you've been putting in some work! Why not keep the front 6 lug? That's what I did with 6 lug rotors

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #480
Johns 66

Quote:
Why not keep the front 6 lug? That's what I did with 6 lug rotors
Christian I am wanting to put some 5 spoke wheels on it when she is done and I cannot get those with 6 lugs discs.

A little update. Was able to get some things done. Took the steering column completely apart and ordered new bearings...got it all sanded down and put in primer...coat of epoxy and high build.

Also decided to go ahead and put primer on what I could. Got the interior into both, and the majority of the outside.

Am working on the drivers side rocker area. Having to fix what has been repaired since the door wouldn't shut with the weather stripping on it....kind of aggravating if ya know what I mean.

I will say I learned some valuable things when spraying the primer which will help when it comes to getting color on it. I did see a few places that I will need to work on when I sprayed the primer on it
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #481
cwcarpenter98

Ah ok, that makes sense. The primer is looking good

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #482
straight6chevyguy

Nice progress John.
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #483
kdad

Looking great John. gonna be a show truck before you know it... LOL

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #484
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
Nice progress John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Looking great John. gonna be a show truck before you know it... LOL
Thank Yall...its does help. My learning curve is steep at this point but better than paying someone. If I think about ALL that has to be done it can tend to get overwhelming.

Before I primed the cab I put the weather stripping on and the drivers side door wouldn't shut. After looking at it for awhile I realized the rocker was put on wrong...the flange is too close to the door..Looks like it should be about 3/8 from the door.....Im so glad I paid a professional to fix that for me.....(Sarcasm Dripping) so Im in the process of fixing that.

I did get the dash and remaining part of the cab blocked down to 180. Of course I missed a few places and will have to do some filler to fix the low spots but that's ok...its only a couple. . Ill get it blocked down to 220 then Im thinking about putting another coat of primer on and doing the final block at 320 before adding color.

Ordered parts for my steering column and waiting on them to arrive so I can put it back together...….and lastly I ordered the front disc brake kit with stock spindles.....figured it was easier to do it now than later.

As far as the Show Truck....Its gonna be as nice as I can make it which will leave a lot to be desired in the show truck realm...BUT I think it makes it a lil more special knowing that I did it myself. I will say that I am very grateful for all the help and knowledge that I have received from the board.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #485
kdad

Completely agree that the board has helped immensely. I am really proud to see you dive in even when your not quite sure what to do or how to do it. Your can do attitude and willingness to learn should be prime examples to everyone on this board. Great job buddy. We are gonna be rollin down the road very soon.

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #486
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Completely agree that the board has helped immensely. I am really proud to see you dive in even when your not quite sure what to do or how to do it. Your can do attitude and willingness to learn should be prime examples to everyone on this board. Great job buddy. We are gonna be rollin down the road very soon.
Thanks Scott. If the truck were only made out of wood I could make it NICE...LOL

As with anything you learn to do things.....So today I was gonna put some epoxy on the passenger door, steering wheel and a couple of other part plus some places on the cab where I sanded down to the metal, and where I added some filler for the low spots.....SOOOOO I mixed up the epoxy and noticed I had was more hardener that primer...as I stirred it I couldn't figure it out....then realized I had put the 2k primer hardener in the epoxy primer...….wrong hardener in wrong primer....DOH...Texted Andy and we both agreed that I probably shouldn't spray it not knowing how it will do...SOOO I mixed up another batch and got things sprayed, also sprayed the front frame in epoxy...Ill put another coat on it BUT gotta get some more epoxy.

So tomorrow Ill run to the paint store to get some more epoxy and high build plus I am gonna get the dash and interior paint plus the black for the underside of the hood and inner fenders etc.. Im gonna two tone the interior ...dash a lil darker than the rest....kinda like original but Im gonna be using a charcoal gray color and lighter maybe silver color. Paint store recommended using single stage for the interior but I think I will use base/clear and use a satin clear for the interior and for the inner fenders, radiator support etc
2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #487
Johns 66

Mama said there would be days like this...….

Today was an adventure and test of patience and calmness.

I decided to spray the test samples of paint that I got yesterday......of course it is all single stage...and while I was at it I was going to use the Dekups trial system that I got from Eastwood since I was gonna spray 6 samples. 1st sample it leaked so bad that I just threw that crap away....cleaned the gun and sprayed the next sample and so on until I had 4 done. The paint store mixed it all and supposedly all I had to do was spray it....Didn't workout so well, clogged my gun really bad so spent a good hour cleaning it.

So then I decided to spray epoxy on the other side of the passenger door, Im not sure what I done but it did not spray anywhere near how the other 2 gallons sprayed and again clogged my gun...I think I may have put too much hardener but unsure at this point. I had ran out of lacquer thinner so I decided that mineral spirits should do the same, right? WRONG....as soon as I put the mineral sprints in the cup it was like I put concrete hardener in it.....Ruined my cup.....ran out of air injected cleaner so basically quit on trying to do any painting...I was able to get the gun clean.

So I placed an order with Eastwood and bought another cup and more injected cleaner....So will have to wait until the new cup comes in.

THEN I decided that since I couldn't do anymore painting/priming that I would take the front end apart, get it cleaned up and get it ready to prime and paint. Of course nearly 60 years of dirt and grime had to be dealt with.

First thing I noticed when I got everything apart was that the springs were BROKE...on Both sides near the top was broke....1 side looked like it had been snapped, the other side looked like it had deteriorated and broke from weakness. Then I started trying to dig all the dirt and grime off the control arms.

That's when I noticed the lower control arm was cracked. It started near the bushing and moved upward....so now I gotta find a lower control arm.....so kinda got things cleaned up and decided to put all the small parts that I had primed away....well as luck would have it, I dropped the part of the steering column that the shift lever attaches too and the shift indicator is on....and yep it cracked.....so now I gotta get a new /used one of these....Then decided I had enough for the day and let it sit.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #488
cwcarpenter98

Wow, looks like you got drop springs without having to do any work. That sucks man

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 04-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #489
Johns 66

Quote:
Wow, looks like you got drop springs without having to do any work. That sucks man
Yep...I guess that is why they put the spring spacers in.....as you can see in the pic. Good thing is that I had already bought new springs all the way around. I may have a lead on the lower control arm...supposed to go look at it next week.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #490
cwcarpenter98

I missed the spacers at first. The truck will probably ride much better with the new springs

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #491
straight6chevyguy

Sorry John that just sucks. I hope you get it worked out soon.

I've been having some problems on my truck but after reading your last post I realize how small my problems are. LOL
To many projects!
Old 05-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #492
Johns 66

Quote:
Sorry John that just sucks. I hope you get it worked out soon.

I've been having some problems on my truck but after reading your last post I realize how small my problems are. LOL
No worries my friend..May is a new month and we will go forward.

Jeremey( 62 Short Step) had the steering column parts I needed and treated me right...he sent them today and I should get them by Friday.

I was able to find lower and upper arms and springs from a local guy who changed out his suspension....Its from a 63 but should bolt right up....actually I came out better since the upper and lower arms have already been built and painted..Im also gonna get the new springs as well. This will give me 2 sets of front springs. Once I get it all installed Ill put the springs on the board for someone who needs them.

In all honesty I think all this is a good thing. now that I have had time to look back on it I realized that everything I have taken apart needed to be taken apart and fixed...broke springs are dangerous, broken lower A arms probably real dangerous.

I was told by Winston ( Pimpston) that anytime I felt I was rushing that I needed to step back from it for a day or so...I was certainly rushing trying to get things done so this little delay is a good thing.

One lil side note is that this may all be a great little things as I may have a lead on a good surprise,,,just gotta go look at it...….To Be Determined!!!!!
2019 GMC AT4
Old 05-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #493
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post

I was told by Winston ( Pimpston) that anytime I felt I was rushing that I needed to step back from it for a day or so...I was certainly rushing trying to get things done so this little delay is a good thing.

One lil side note is that this may all be a great little things as I may have a lead on a good surprise,,,just gotta go look at it...….To Be Determined!!!!!
That is such good advice from Winston. I went on vacation for 10 days and came back and felt like I was behind on the truck...but behind on what time table? I had to step back and take a break and say...it gets done when it gets done!

Hmmm a surprise? Your surprises are so good...can't wait to see.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #494
cwcarpenter98

That's great that you found the parts! The uppers and lowers are the same 63-66, but the 63s won't have predrilled holes for the factory sway bar. I had to drill holes in mine, but it was easy with the suspension still bolted in the truck

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #495
straight6chevyguy

I have actually been in a vehicle that the lower A arm broke on... Thankfully we where only going less then 5 mph moving fire wood on the farm... could have been deadly if it was on the highway!
Was the family 1979 Dodge van that we had just stopped driving on the road only months before because the speedometer stopped working...!
To many projects!
Old 05-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #496
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Hmmm a surprise? Your surprises are so good...can't wait to see.
Yeah...still waiting to go look at it this weekend.....maybe it is what its supposed to be and not a waste of time. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
That's great that you found the parts! The uppers and lowers are the same 63-66, but the 63s won't have predrilled holes for the factory sway bar. I had to drill holes in mine, but it was easy with the suspension still bolted in the truck
Yep you are right Christian.....I picked them up yesterday and noticed they didn't have the holes in them but that will be an easy fix since everything is apart right now.

Quote:
I have actually been in a vehicle that the lower A arm broke on... Thankfully we where only going less then 5 mph moving fire wood on the farm... could have been deadly if it was on the highway!
Was the family 1979 Dodge van that we had just stopped driving on the road only months before because the speedometer stopped working...!
Yeah....these old trucks aren't much on safety features nut then again I wont be driving too crazy either.....

Not much progress this week, been waiting on my new spray cup and a few other parts that I need...should all be here tomorrow.

Picked up the lower control arms yesterday....gonna need a little cosmetic work on them, guess when he took them off he wasn't too careful. The bushing had been changed and I know they are good. Will change the ball joints to go with my new disc brake set up since I am using the 73/87 ball joint set up.

Got my brake kit in from CPP and it looks like a pretty rugged kit, checked and made sure everything was there so that's a good thing...I know its not original but its more for safety anyways. So I have new front disc brakes, new springs all the way around, new cab mounts, new control arm bushings so my ride should be best as I can get it without going to a coil over set up.....and along with new shocks it ought to ride like a brand new 66 Chevy Truck and that's just fine with me.

Today I also received the steering column parts that I dropped and broke/bent from 62 short step ( Jeremy)...this was exactly what I needed. They appears to have the original paint on them and like most fawn stuff it faded out to look like a silver color....and to be honest I really like this color for my interior...now if I can get close to it Ill be good.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 05-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #497
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Great progress John!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #498
cwcarpenter98

Make sure when you drill the holes that you drill them in the right spot. Will make it a whole lot easier when you put the bar back on the truck. Adding the 1-1/4" bar out of a squarebody C20 or 30 made the truck corner so much better than without one

I was pleasantly surprised how well my truck rides even with original coils all around. Did the disc brake swap for safety and changed the shocks. Rides just about as good, maybe a little better than my Dakota.

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #499
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Great progress John!
Thanks Brother

Quote:
Make sure when you drill the holes that you drill them in the right spot. Will make it a whole lot easier when you put the bar back on the truck. Adding the 1-1/4" bar out of a squarebody C20 or 30 made the truck corner so much better than without one.
Thanks Christian...Ill make sure I do that.

Not a lot done today..... I had to help my brother in law Randy get the pool ready for summer...but we got it all cleaned out...so my sister will be happy now...and I like making sure she is happy.

But I did get a little bit done...I got the upper A arms taken apart.....the rivets were a pain but I was able to get them out.....took the upper shaft out and the rubber bumpers out so Ill be able to get them cleaned up this week and get them painted black. Also got all the bolts that attach the cradle and A arms cleaned up and did a thread chaser on all the nits and bolts...Should make the install a lot easier.....I used a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it to get them cleaner up.

On a side not I am thinking about sending all the bolts and getting the cadmium plated...Winston has a place where he lives that does that kind of thing....I did a little research and found put most assembly bolts we plated and not painted originally so this may be a great option for me....just not sure how it will handle the elements.

Also if they can do it I can get the hood hingers and door strikers cadmium plated as well.....Just a thought.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 05-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #500
Johns 66

Well my surprised turned out to be more than I am willing to take on with my limited skills. There is actually 2 trucks here...One is a 1949 and the other is a 1951, all info is according to the owner...Both are 5 window. The 49 was placed on a modern frame.

As you can imagine both have extensive rust....cab corners, doors, floor boards etc....They are almost 2 a point of no return.....

From best I could tell is that both beds will have to be replaced...and the rust on the cab is heavy..not minor surface rust....but anyways I did take a pic.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4