The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2019, 01:04 AM   #26
siggyfreud

Re: Project "Ghost" - 1972 C10 Pro-touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Nice video. I like the dapper headlights also, and was wondering about the options when in use. Thanks for the thorough rundown on the work done.
No prob. There are a few different ways to wire them, so it's a little of dealer's choice. I did it the way they recommended, and I'm happy with the results so far.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #27
siggyfreud

Did some wheel and tire measuring today. Looks like I'm going to squeeze a 315/35R20 front and rear.

Thanks to MCB for letting me borrow their wheel measuring tool, and thank you to GoMobileTires for coming out with different sizes to test out!

I'll be posting a video of the mounting/balance process in the future.

Now I just have to decide on the Forgeline wheels I want

Old 09-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #28
siggyfreud

Wheels ordered!

Going with the Forgeline ML3C in a pearl grey. I really like how they look on the site, so just going with that.

20x11 fronts with a 6.75" BS, 20x12 rears with a 7.75" BS

Old 09-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
TA_C10

Nice video, excited to see some of these things come to life. I'm at a crossroads right now about radio/backup camera. I like your ideas. Unfortunately I am at a pace where I don't have much time left to decide so I need to figure it out quick. I want a backup camera. And am trying to figure out if I should either do a rear view mirror camera and keep the stock dash look, or install a double din radio and use that for rear view camera.... I am very interested in your GM rear camera mirror....

Keep up the good work!

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #30
siggyfreud

It's not cheap, but this is what I'm going with I think. I recall the Ring brothers mentioning this company makes the OEM unit for the Bolt and other Chevy vehicles with the trick mirror. But this is less of a backup camera solution and more of a crystal clear rearview solution. It's the same mirror perspective, just without reflection/obstruction by objects in the cab.

It probably won't be within your timeline, but I'd really love to get a new printer and 3d print a solution for that bed light/3rd brake light/camera holder. But the 3d printer I want is about 5-6k, so that will be awhile. Right now that money is going to wheels so I can drive the darn thing again.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #31
siggyfreud

Hey all,

Minor update, but no video this time. Got the wheels in, and tires mounted! I ended up going with 20x11" front, 20x12 rear, with 315/35R20 on all 4 corners. 315 was about the widest I could find that still had a bigger sidewall profile. I also wanted to run a square setup, and 315 seems about the max front width.

As it is I get rubbing at full turn on the LCA's shock mount. That will go away when I swap to new front suspension though. I'm considering Ridetechs strong-arms with Shockwaves at the moment.

Drives and brakes very nice so far. Going through the bedding process, which requires 4-5 days of just regular driving before baking in the rotors, then pads. I need to adjust my brake light switch though, as it requires much less travel to stop, so my brake lights aren't even engaging at the moment.

At some point I'm also going to shift my brake pedal back so it's even with the gas. I may wait until I get a plasma table down the road, then I'll cut one out in the shape I want.

Here are some photos:

Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #32
J3rm0ff

Love the wheels!!
J3rm0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #33
LakeAnna

Thumbs up Re: Project "Ghost" - 1972 C10 Pro-touring

Truck looks good man!

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:33 AM   #34
siggyfreud

Thank you both!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #35
cornerstone

Wowzers! 315s all the way round

At your front door tire and wheel delivery? Love it!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #36
SCOTI

Tagging in to watch the build.

I will ask this as well.... Why staggered wheel sizes but same size tire @ all 4 corners? Is your plan to break the tires down off the wheels for rotation?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #37
siggyfreud

Yup, the 315's fit rather well, aside from rubbing the lower shock mount on the LCA at full turn. That will go away when I switch to new control arms and suspension in the front. I will say the truck feels way more planted so far driving on these tires. With the brakes and steadiness on the road it's way more of a pleasure. Once the new suspension gets in it'll be even better.

The wheels I bought through Matt's Classic bowties, and they shipped right from Forgeline to my door. The tires I got through a company called GoMobileTires. They're in like 4-5 different locations across the US. The owner is up here. He came out a few months back and brought 3 different tire sizes to try out with a wheel fitment tool I borrowed, and then came back when it was time to mount them.

The nice thing is that their tools don't really touch the wheel at all. So unlike a lot of tire shops that use those pry bars and whatnot, your wheels don't get touched and won't get scratched up with their process. They mount them, air them up, and balance them right there in the van. Takes about an hour, their tire prices are on par with discount tire and amazon, and they charge $150 for the service and to take away old tires, if you have any. For me it was totally worth it as opposed to going to a shop.

I highly recommend them.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #38
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Tagging in to watch the build.

I will ask this as well.... Why staggered wheel sizes but same size tire @ all 4 corners? Is your plan to break the tires down off the wheels for rotation?
At first, I was going to go with a true square setup, but the wheels are hub-centric, and the hubs front-to-back are different sizes. So almost immediately I realized that I'd have unique front and rears, even if they were the same size and backspacing.

Once I realized that I opted to go with a concave design on the rears, and since there was the room I also opted to go with a wider wheel to allow for a wider drag tire (like a 345) in the future if I ever wanted it.

The reason I didn't go with wider rear tires, to begin with, is one, I wanted to feel what a square setup did for stability and handling, and two, going above a 315 also meant going down a size in sidewall (from 35 to 30), and I didn't want to do that for my daily driving tires.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #39
Lord_glum

I like the stance and the wheel widths.
Question on the rear tire fitment.
How wide are your wheel wells?
Has the axle been shortened?
Is it a 72 axle?
If you can’t tell I’m researching
Lord_glum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #40
siggyfreud

Hey there.

I'll have to measure the wheel wells, I forget what the measurements are on them.

Axle has not been shortened. Yeah it's a 70.5+ axle, so wider than the previous incarnation.

Here are my measurements I took for my wheels. They give you the details on how much back and front spacing I have. Hub and caliper specs are unique to my axles and Baer brakes.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #41
siggyfreud

This will look more in place long-term, but thought I'd pick them up now. Once the black bumper is black, and the truck is either a sand or Nardo grey color, I think these will look perfect. But for now they'll take up the exhuast hole space, and let me run the exhaust out back again instead of dumping under the truck which is LOUD.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #42
siggyfreud

Been awhile since I updated this thread. I've been busy with my job, and slowly starting me future job/company.

On the truck I started replacing the front suspension. Out with the drop springs, in with some Ridetech Coilovers!

When trying to get the spindles back in I discovered Ridetech sent me balljoints for a 63-70 C10, and not a 71-72. They're sending me the right balljoints now, but will have change them out.

I also bought a Redhead box, and new steering shafts/couplers. A previous owner put in an Ididit column, but installed the steering shaft specifically how Ididit says NOT to, so that's neat. Going with a collapsible shaft to increase safety as well.

On another note, I started playing more with my 3d printer. I made some hose separators for the El Camino, which I finished for a buddy. Have a video coming soon about it.

Got some Dapper headlights in, which the owner loves. Not everyone's flavor, but I love them too and they increase nighttime visibilty greatly, while being DOT approved/safe.

Hose separator I designed and printed

And finally I have been working on a bracket setup for my Fuellab fuel filter. Originally I wanted something to bolt to the carb, but couldn't get the design how I wanted. So I switched gears and designed it to be integrated into a carb spacer. Here is the original drawing, then what I ended with after iterating a bit. The piece is printed in cheap PLA, about $10 worth of material. It took about 21 hours to print.

The final piece will be refined again, then cut from aluminum and anodized.

That's all for now!

Last edited by siggyfreud; 06-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #43
SCOTI

'Aint technology cool
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #44
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
'Aint technology cool
I feel like I'm on the cheapest ship in Star Trek, with the slowest replicator they could afford haha.

But still, being able to take a design and a day later have a part is pretty awesome. Even if it's slow.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #45
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
I feel like I'm on the cheapest ship in Star Trek, with the slowest replicator they could afford haha.

But still, being able to take a design and a day later have a part is pretty awesome. Even if it's slow.
Exactly.
Live long & prosper.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-19-2020, 12:43 AM   #46
Kronald_70GMC

Cool build man. Im in for the ride!

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #47
TA_C10

Those hose spacers are really cool man. Makes me think you could do some trickery for our C10 nation and our hoses coming out of firewall for heater and a/c.

And those coilovers are going to be nice!

"It's only money".
Old 07-05-2020, 01:26 AM   #48
siggyfreud

Little bit more progress in the last few days. I got the new, correct, ball joints in the LCA and UCAs. Either the order taker or Ridetech accidentally shipped them with 63-70 ball joints and not 71-72, but Ridetech sent me new ones for free.

I also installed the new Redhead steering box (3 turn unit) and reworked the steering shaft and connections.

It was using the stock rag-joint and shaft, but the previous owner had used some sort of coupler, with a small cut shaft going inside the steering column, which according to Ididit is a no-no.

I replaced it with an outer DD coupler, into a collapsable steering shaft (safer in the event of a front-end collision) and then into a u-joint instead of a rag-joint.

I had to cut about 7" off the thick side of the DD shaft to get the fit right, but that was anticipated.

Tomorrow and beyond I tackle the driver side suspension, then finish the steering, new sway bar, bleed the brakes, and get it aligned.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #49
siggyfreud

I'm stuck waiting on a new inner tie rod. My brand new Moog unit stripped the threads tightening to 30lb.ft so that was nice . . .

Then I need to figure out how to give myself clearance on the sway bar mounts that contact the wheels at full turn. May need to fab up some steering stops.

In the meantime, I finally got my hardened print head for my 3d printer, and printed my hose separators in Nylon/Carbon. These things are TOUGH. Way tougher than they need to be, but wanted to check out the material. They're only 20% infill, so these are 80% air on the inside, and I'm not sure I could snap them in half by hand. They'll also withstand 150*C continuous, and 180*C peak temps.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 PM   #50
TA_C10

That printer is too cool man. Is the material expensive?

"It's only money".