The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #26
62 Barnfind

Re: Grandpa’s 63 C10 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I bought the same one for my 57 truck. It’s a nice harness.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #27
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
I bought the same one for my 57 truck. It’s a nice harness.
Glad to hear. I have yet to see a bad review. Can’t beat the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
J Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #28
J Williams

I probably should have asked before I ordered... but has anyone used car parts.com for fenders? I ordered both front full fenders for 300$. Guess we will see how well they fit. I have decided to go a little deeper into this project than originally planned. Also ordered a replacement floor pan for the drivers side from LMC along with some other parts. Now I am craving getting out there but have to hold off till the shoulder heals
Old 02-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #29
J Williams

Well I got back to it this weekend with the help of my 10 year old boy. He is great help! He will be the 4th generation Williams to drive it and it makes this build so much more enjoyable having him being a part of the build. A true blessing from God. The engine is nothing too special as far as power but it runs strong. Not bad for a budget build.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #30
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Williams View Post
Well I got back to it this weekend with the help of my 10 year old boy. He is great help! He will be the 4th generation Williams to drive it and it makes this build so much more enjoyable having him being a part of the build. A true blessing from God. The engine is nothing too special as far as power but it runs strong. Not bad for a budget build.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #31
60chevyjim

your motor looks great !! , so cool about your son working on the truck with you too .
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #32
J Williams

Well I couldn’t take it any longer, had to do something on this project. With the help of my boy... and of course Hank the dog you see in the pic we started to remove some rust. I am no body man and am learning as I go. I got the outer rocker panel of without too much hassle. I think I can even reuse it since it didn’t have a rust issue. I think I need to cut a little deeper to get rid of all the floor panel rust though. Hope I don’t mess this part up. All new territory for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #33
J Williams

I have decided to take this build to the next step. I figured I will never have this truck torn apart like this again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #34
J Williams

I have never painted before but it is a good time to learn. I had the wire harness installed and was about to drop the engine in when I decided this old truck needs some makeup. I pulled the front clip off, besides stabbing the engine and transmission in will be a lot easier with it off. I will probably head out to the shop today and pull the windshield. Got my order in yesterday from Eastwood with all my sanding materials. I will be starting my painting in the cab and the engine compartment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #35
J Williams

Got the windshield out today. Scotch bright did the trick on the dash. Little more on the back wall and roof then to the doors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Are you painting with the original colors?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #37
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Are you painting with the original colors?
Yes, I want to keep it looking just like grandpa purchased it as far as colors. Schows was able to pull all my paint codes up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #38
J Williams

Well today I pulled the bed off the frame and started sanding the exterior of the cab. What was GM thinking with the wonderful rain gutter on the roof?! I think I got all the rust out of it and all their silicone. That was a pain. Other than that I think things are coming along. Added an 80 gallon air compressor to the shop, that has been a big help. Now that the bed is off I will put all new suspension in the rear end. Might as well since it is so accessible now. Never thought I would dig this far into this truck but it has been a fun learning experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #39
J Williams

Need some help from y’all. Looking at door skins for my truck and the ones I am finding are 60-66 Chevy trucks. Nothing specific for the 60-63. We all know us working on 60-63’s have a unique issue when it comes to doors and windshields.... any tips or advice for doos or full door skins?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #40
J Williams

Shaved the gas cap and that’s about it for this weekend. Honey do’s in the yard now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #41
J Williams

First attempt with a paint gun..... couple little things to fix then another coat of primer
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #42
notsolo

Looking good, will be a nice driver for the next 60 yrs. Grandpa was probably thrifty, so that would make him happy. Plenty of painting video's and how to set up your paint gun. If you need it, House of color has a couple good ones, as well as Eastwood. Don't forget your respirator.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #43
J Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Looking good, will be a nice driver for the next 60 yrs. Grandpa was probably thrifty, so that would make him happy. Plenty of painting video's and how to set up your paint gun. If you need it, House of color has a couple good ones, as well as Eastwood. Don't forget your respirator.
I have been watching videos like crazy! My wife kinda laughed at me when she seen me painting outside with a respirator until she walked up close and could smell it. Then she thanked me for buying one! I will have to check out the house of color, haven’t seen those ones. Thanks man!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #44
notsolo

Since your down to Bare frame and cab, you could lay a piece of ply down in back and roll the cab on it's back.... Just work on the cab roof inside and out, top of dash and floor..under coating etc.....Nicer, easier to paint horizontal.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #45
J Williams

Quote:
Since your down to Bare frame and cab, you could lay a piece of ply down in back and roll the cab on it's back.... Just work on the cab roof inside and out, top of dash and floor..under coating etc.....Nicer, easier to paint horizontal.
Hey, that’s a great idea! Thanks for the tip man. I was thinking if I had a rotisserie I would take the cab off but that would work just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #46
notsolo

Did you put seam seal back in the rain gutter?...it should have been like a brittle putty, newer seam sealer is a self leveling 2 part I think..not sure of the number..... I use polyurethane caulk in all the other seams....just some things that should be done before you start the top coats.....what kind of paint?..
Old 05-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #47
J Williams

Quote:
Did you put seam seal back in the rain gutter?...it should have been like a brittle putty, newer seam sealer is a self leveling 2 part I think..not sure of the number..... I use polyurethane caulk in all the other seams....just some things that should be done before you start the top coats.....what kind of paint?..
So the old seam seal I cleaned out and sanded the gutter out. That was a pain! I was told to primer first, then seam seal prior to my top coats. Honestly haven’t decided what I am going to use for seam seal. I plan on using Limco single stage paint. I have read all the do this do that don’t do this don’t do that and I think single stage will be a lot easier for a beginner. Any wisdom on that is welcome.

I do have one question for you, I am about to start blocking this first round of filler primer. I just quickly took some 400 grit to a spot on my dash and the primer got baby butt smooth... do I want it that smooth before putting on my last coat of primer or would I be better off to have like a 180 grit sanding?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #48
notsolo

320 grit probably good enough, make sure you wipe it all down good with wax and grease remover. Single stage should be fine, A light tack coat, then color coats.. Read the spec sheet temp and time in between coats, usually 15 mins or more. I used base coat, clear coat Your Primer turned out great, top coats should be amazing.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #49
J Williams

Quote:
320 grit probably good enough, make sure you wipe it all down good with wax and grease remover. Single stage should be fine, A light tack coat, then color coats.. Read the spec sheet temp and time in between coats, usually 15 mins or more. I used base coat, clear coat Your Primer turned out great, top coats should be amazing.
Awesome! Thanks man. I always appreciate advice. When you say a light tack coat then color coat... do you mean a light coat of primer again or a light tack coat of color then go after it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #50
notsolo

After your Done with primer.......fast Light even coat of color, Not trying to get color, just cover. By the time you have gone over everything, start at the beginning Slowing down, and overlapping 50% ...Getting just the right amount of paint on without runs is the hard part.....Slow and steady like the robot, he talks about in video....Nothing better than laying down paint, some runs will happen. Spraying outside can be tricky.....in a garage, doors almost down with fans to pull fumes out, filters for air coming in. Wet the floor down, reduce dust. Practice panel to get the gun set....I did the white 1st, cover most of the parts you don't want white....keep the over spray and dust off....reverse.
Remove tape and paper and tarps. ...mask off white after it dries about an hr or more, 3m blue painters tape is good stuff.....Cheers Ed.