The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
CanadianGMC

62 Canadian GMC build

Hi everyone,

I've been on the website for a while, but haven't actually been here in ages. Years ago(~10), I had intended to restore my great-uncle's 62 GMC and do a few things with it. Being a bit more naive back then, I dismantled the truck to only have life catch up with me. This caused me to have it sit for years up until now. It is currently sitting apart with the cab and front end sitting inside my uncle's barn while the frame has been sitting outside with the box sides sitting on top of it.

I am getting close to 30 and looking to relocate from Canada to New Zealand in the next few years. I am unsure if this will be permanent but am going with the intentions that it will be. With that being said, I would like to get this project under way. At the time of moving(2022), I would like to have my truck atleast driveable.

A bit about the truck. From what I know my great uncle bought it new and it's been in the family since. The truck is a 62 GMC 910 with a long fleetside box and big back window. It had a 292(or maybe 235?)ci Inline 6 and standard trans. The engine wasn't seized when taken out 10 years ago, but it's been sitting in the barn half on it's side ever since. I also decided back then that I would swap out the torsion bar front end with a coil spring suspension. The front suspension and rear end came from a 1/2 ton 74 or 76 GM truck.

Currently I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a 6.0 and 4L80e(shot) and 4x4. I have an extra 4L80e that has 195km on it I am thinking of parting it out as I would like to keep the 6.0. I would do a rebuild on it as a head gasket is done and it could use a refreshing(279km/174mi). I am torn between selling this one whole or just parting it out.. I could put the old inline 6 back in for more originality to the truck but I am more interested in having a newer set up that I can make somewhat more reliable and efficient. I am also on the fence about just putting the 4x4 set up into the 62 as I like having 4x4 and I would intend to use this truck as a driver. How would I go about doing this? Would an 07 set up fit on a 62 non 4x4 frame? I'd have to shorten the drive shaft for sure and the truck would end up with an 8 bolt pattern but I'd have a 3/4 ton suspension and would be able to haul quite a bit when needed.

I'll include a few photos from back when I started taking it apart. I will also attach a picture of my 07 GMC that I intend to donate to this project.

Any help and suggestions on where to begin and how to keep this semi reasonably budgeted would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

CanadianGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: 62 Canadian GMC build

Sounds cool!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
cwcarpenter98

That sounds like a cool project. I really like that silver paint

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
slimjim66

looks cool, that 6 litre looks minty in the pics. great start. id keep the LQ4/4L80E set up its definitely more work but worth it in the end.

as for how your going to get the 4x4 to all work, don't quote me on this but im 90% sure the truck you have has a wheelbase 6 inches longer than your 1962 wheelbase, but when you drop the body on the newer chassis it looks correct because of how high it will sit. obviously custom mounts are going to be needed but guys have done it many times.

id go that route over finding a dana44 or whatever with a left side pumpkin and doing the swap on the OG c10 frame.
slimjim66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
CanadianGMC

So this last month has been a bit of a whirlwind in direction for this build. I sold the 07' Sierra and bought a 62' GMC 910 on what appears to be a 63-66 4x4 frame. Looking to take this project in a new direction and get started on it. Here's a few pictures from the truck I bought. I'll update as I go. Currently cleaning up 30+ years of mouse droppings before I do anything with it.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
CanadianGMC

An update on the progress. Got the truck cleaned up quite a bit and was able to get the truck running last week. I’ve replaced the rad hoses, put the missing parts from the engine back on. Tonight I’m going to do an oil change and flush the cooling system and hopefully it’ll be good to go. Next is going to be seeing if I can get the wheels spinning and see if the transfer case works. I’m looking at swapping out the 4 speed that’s in it currently with a tranzilla 6 speed.

Here’s a video of the engine running for the first time

https://m.facebook.com/groups/6066ch...9016011852932/
Old 09-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
SkinnyG

There was a post on here recently (or a FB group?) that said the 4X4 frames were a ladder style, and NOT the X frame the 2WD trucks had.

Looks good!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes the '60-'62 K series frames are the ladder style, not the X-member style like the C series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
There was a post on here recently (or a FB group?) that said the 4X4 frames were a ladder style, and NOT the X frame the 2WD trucks had.

Looks good!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote