The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
TravisC

Patch Panel Replacement Procedure

My truck is either a 1948-49-or 50, not really sure, it has the Drivers Vent and has doors with Vents, when I got it it was in pieces.

I will be replacing both left and right side floor pans, Lower section of the inner kick panels, lower half of the outer cowl panels and the curved part the goes between the outer and inner.

My question is, in what order does this need to be done in.
I am new to working with metal, but have a friend that is a licensed welder and is willing to help me, he just finished up helping his dad build a 32 ford that had a lot of fab work.

I have a Chinese Plasma cutter and a Eastwood 135 Mig Welder.
I also have a quart of the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum, that i will put on any of the exposed areas of rust after removing the rotted panels.

Thanks
TravisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Patch Panel Replacement Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisC View Post
My truck is either a 1948-49-or 50, not really sure,
not to be a worry wort, but if you don't know the year of your truck, it's probably not registered. i'd register your truck before you spend a dime on it. you can register it without tagging or insuring it. registering it pretty much guarantees you can tag and insure it in your name

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Tempest67

Ogre makes a very good point. Make sure to register it before you start dumping time and money into it.

Metal Replacement. When I do this, I start from the inside, and move outward, but always leave some original metal so you have a reference to position the new piece. DO NOT remove everything and start to rebuild it all from scratch.

For example, never remove both interior kick panel and exterior cowl metal at the same time and leave the front door jamb swinging in the wind. Only remove 1 at a time so you can be sure that the replacement piece is lined up correctly. - leave the door on the hinges while lining up the sheet metal.

My advice is, 1 piece at a time.... and think it through
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
TravisC

Thanks, I was going to get it transferred into a project Title, than the Covid Crap closed down the DMV.
I have a title and a ID Plate that have matching Numbers, however it says it is a 1954. I guess they had a title for a 54 that was trash and a decent 48 cab, and did a switch, easy to do on these trucks, if the DMV or Sheriff questions it, ill just say I switched cabs. This will be also be sitting on a S-10 frame, that I do not have a title to. My friends Aunt works at the DMV and she does all their Street Rods, so I should not have any issues.
TravisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
franken

Have a look at this guy's threads for examples of great metalwork. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=802924
I don't have much faith in rust encapsulaters or converters.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
mr48chev

If the cab is that far gone it might be more productive to hunt for a bare 54 cab that matches the title and run the early nose on it and let the catfish fans whine.
I don't know about Kentucky but here you would get busted for running a bogus title if you had a 50 cab with a 54 Title and probably end up with the truck impounded.

These guys will tell you that I not a fan of S 10 swaps just for the sake of swapping frames But when you don't have a frame or don't have a good frame The S 10 is a good choice as long as you can PROVE that you legally own it. I keep fearing that someone on here is going to come on saying that law enforcement officers showed up and impounded their truck because it had a stolen S-10 frame under it that was bought with no papers from someone involved in a theft ring. I keep seeing rolling S-10 Chassis "ready for your swap" advertised on FB and Craigslist here all the time that don't have papers with them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The S 10 is a good choice as long as you can PROVE that you legally own it. I keep fearing that someone on here is going to come on saying that law enforcement officers showed up and impounded their truck because it had a stolen S-10 frame under it that was bought with no papers from someone involved in a theft ring. I keep seeing rolling S-10 Chassis "ready for your swap" advertised on FB and Craigslist here all the time that don't have papers with them.
Swapping cabs, frames, etc. is common in our hobby. And law enforcement doesn't have the manpower to stop riots, let alone be crawling under everyone's truck searching for VIN numbers. I thnk he's safe. :-)

Now, back to his original question: does anyone know the best replacement order for cab patches?

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 09-25-2020 at 08:33 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Rickysnickers

Yes, back to the original question. Any more speak of VIN swapping and/or title swapping will have this thread locked. Thank you.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote