The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2024, 05:48 PM   #1
Preacher141

sm465 top cover is stuck on truck will not come off

Here is my issue. I knew it had to be half way in reverse to put the top cover on and thought I had it. But, it will not shift into reverse. It is out of a 1967 C10. It will not go into reverse no matter what and now the cover only comes up half inch. Any ideas why I can not get the cover off and how to get it to come off? I searched the net and on here and all I can see is how to install it basically. No info on anything else.
Preacher141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:12 PM   #2
dmb

Re: sm465 top cover is stuck on truck will not come off

you missed the slot in the reverse gear,,,,,,,,,,, it needs to be in reverse to get it off
Old 03-24-2024, 11:18 PM   #3
Preacher141

I know, problem is, it will not go half way in reverse like it should. I watched the damn fork line up and go into gear half way, but apparently it slipped as the cover went down the last 1". I know what has to happen. But, it's not happening, that's why I am asking how to get it off when apparently it somehow slipped off the gear in the last inch. I read and watched every video to tell me how it goes on and comes off, but no one can tell me how to get it off if it somehow is not on the gear.
Preacher141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #4
scottofksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher141 View Post
I know, problem is, it will not go half way in reverse like it should. I watched the damn fork line up and go into gear half way, but apparently it slipped as the cover went down the last 1". I know what has to happen. But, it's not happening, that's why I am asking how to get it off when apparently it somehow slipped off the gear in the last inch. I read and watched every video to tell me how it goes on and comes off, but no one can tell me how to get it off if it somehow is not on the gear.
I have found success by wiggling the shifting lever a bit in the spot it needs to be while having a helper wiggle the top up and down while I wiggle the shifter lever. It can be a bear!
Old 03-28-2024, 02:11 AM   #5
burnin oil

Like said above but add some side to side action. When it's misaligned the fork hits rhe case. It almost rolls out to the side then pops up. Once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote