The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
AnotherWs6

Ford vs Chevy bed test - love it!!

I just posted a response to a thread a couple of days ago where I said I wasn't 100% GM/Chevy biased. Having said that, watching this and hearing the comments in it brings a smile to my face and actually warms my heart.

https://youtu.be/BTm2F4ysQrE
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Ford vs Chevy bed test - love it!!

I know back in the early-80s a lot of Ford truck guys were extremely disappointed with Ford when the supports under their beds collapsed when the loaded them they way they had always done. Mostly masons, they couldn't load a cube of bricks without squashing the bed to the frame. I was a diehard GM guy by then, when the myth around here was Fords are tough and Chevys are pretty. Of course, I was running a '70 and '71 K/20s while others were making payments on their trucks with issues . One reason, other than love, why I stayed with running the old iron into the '90s when I only stopped due to stinkin' salty winter roads and my desire for my trucks to last forever.

I don't care for gimmick advertising tactics designed to lure non-truck types. My first thought is, what idiot would dump a bucket of block into an expensive pickup? They make dump bodies for that. Then it's, let's see how this test does after many years when the steel is rusted and the aluminum is good as new? Which is about when it "might" start making sense to start using them for such things. If I was so foolish as to "dump" any such thing into a pickup, I would lay a sheet of plywood down...after cutting 2' off so it would fit the little bed. That's what they do in big dumps that haul stone to keep from pounding out the sides, both in aluminum and steel bodies (or they use a beat old truck). BTW, most all around here are aluminum. And what will GM say in their advertising when they start using aluminum for their beds? Remember Howie and the Ford "Man Step" ads? Now GM puts their man step in the bumper. When you try to shift the truck market from being bought for work to selling to guys with no calluses after a tougher image, you have to add silly features to lure them in. We already know Chevy is a better truck than Ford because they come with wi-fi, right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-09-2016 at 10:52 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
AnotherWs6

Guys - It's a 3 minute commercial essentially, but it is worth a view, promise.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Just watched it, I laughed. There's so many idiots in the comments. Or die hrad fanboys. Steel is tougher than aluminum. Aluminum expands and contracts A Lot more than steel. Ford did an all aluminum F150 because they're to cheap to figure a motor that will get better fuel mileage. So a lighter truck is always better right? Ya know I find it a darn shame when I see 50 year old trucks getting as good if not better mileage in some cases than a $40,000+ piece of aluminum.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
AnotherWs6

All true. You know what though? When these Ford's become "classics" in the eyes of Ford fans 30-40 years from now they are going to have a lot less rust to worry about! And yeah, GM hit the nail on the head when they developed the LS and they just keep making them better. The Fords arent even much lighter according to the articles I read when they first came out. It's almost like it's more of a marketing thing. And if so it looks like there is a big potential for a backfire. Despite the fact that one Ford guy said he wouldn't buy a new Ford, Ford people generally by Fords and Chevy people generally buy Chevys. It doesn't matter who has the "better" truck at the time.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
All true. You know what though? When these Ford's become "classics" in the eyes of Ford fans 30-40 years from now they are going to have a lot less rust to worry about! And yeah, GM hit the nail on the head when they developed the LS and they just keep making them better. The Fords arent even much lighter according to the articles I read when they first came out. It's almost like it's more of a marketing thing. And if so it looks like there is a big potential for a backfire. Despite the fact that one Ford guy said he wouldn't buy a new Ford, Ford people generally by Fords and Chevy people generally buy Chevys. It doesn't matter who has the "better" truck at the time.
I doubt Any of these newer trucks will last 40 years. You have to understand that no matter what the manufacturer Claims...they ALL make their vehicles recyclable and cheap. I like the older trucks and will probably never own a new one. In my opinion...this new stuff is all junk. Heck, I could drop that load of bricks in my 64 GMC's bed and not have to worry about dents!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
95 S_Trucker

Aluminum will corrode too. I've lots of oxidized aluminum with the paint coming off, especially ford hoods. The hood on our 09 caravan is bubbling and blistering, and its aluminum.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
AnotherWs6

Sounds like you're a little grumpy in general. Of course they will last. My 2000 Silverado has 309,500 miles and runs like an absolute champ. Motor and tranny untouched. The rockers are shot and the quarters are starting to go, but after 16 salty snow winters and a decent amount of on beach driving I can't complain.

That made me remember - When I was a kid my uncle a had 1998ish Suburban that he bought brand new and kept garaged and immaculate. Untouched, unscratched or anything the paint starting bubbling in a couple of spots. Happened to my parents 1988 Buick wagon too.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
A1971Blazer

That commercial is so laughable..............who buys a $60K truck then DUMPS block into it from a Bobcat......an idiot ?

Most trucks you see now days, Chevy, Ford, Ram, and JapCrap aren't even used as trucks...they have a nice slick bed cover and the shiny wheels....I see them at the WalMark all the time.....mostly driven by women....
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
truckster

I wanted to see what happens when the Bobcat operator accidentally drives into the side of the pickup bed.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I want to see the Bobcat dig the blocks back out . Who are they going to hire to do that, manually? What's really funny is, didn't they ruin both bed floors? The shame of it all is, when an F150 owner goes to scrap their truck they'll get paid scrap iron price for a lighter truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

How much difference would a slid in bed liner make?

This makes you appreciate how our old trucks were made with wood bed floors
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

There was a time when only people with common sense owned pickups. We would put a sheet of plywood down and it would protect a perfect floor or make it possible to haul stones, block, or whetever even in a bed floor that looks like Swiss cheese.

That one non-actor put his hands up to his mouth like a woman. Oh the drama

Tim

Old 06-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
How much difference would a slid in bed liner make?
They are great if you move a ton of furniture, boxes, parts because everything slides with minimal force. They last forever and are tough to put holes in. You probably have an inch of thick plastic ribbed cushioning from a drop. But dropping blocks and rocks from an elevated height is a different story. I think you'd get dents all the same but to a lesser degree. I just chopped my old plastic liner out and it took a sawzall and a good hour to get it into 12x12 squares for the trash bin. It's tough plastic and has some weight to it. It's possible it would have prevented the punch through in the Aluminum bed.

The downside to them is the debris that builds up underneath, especially leaves. You end up with rust where water pools.