The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
1972c10pu

Sniper EFI

Thinking about getting the sniper kit for my 72 c10 383. Is it worth the money?
1972c10pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:16 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Sniper EFI

I wouldn't, everybody I know and everything I've read leads me to believe that they are at least $1000 mistakes. Many here on the board took theirs off and put the carbs back on...Do your research then make your own decision. If it were me I'd invest in a carb rebuild or buy a new one, and a good or new HEI distributor and wires...Welcome to the board by the way!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 07-19-2023 at 04:44 AM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:08 AM   #3
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972c10pu View Post
Thinking about getting the sniper kit for my 72 c10 383. Is it worth the money?
My buddy put an EFI on his Chevelle. Now he spends more time trying to fix it. He can't figure out the problem.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
Joyridin

I wouldn't touch a carb again after EFI. Not sure about that exact set-up, but usually Holley makes some of the better kits.

Better mileage, better running, easier tuning, more adjustability, the list goes on and on.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
KW5413

I recommend you find someone that is a certified Sniper Tech. for installation. Certainly, to fine tune it. I had one on my '76 Cutlass. Loved it once it was properly tuned. I am fortunate that there is a very good shop just minutes away from me. Both the owner and general manager are certified.

They have done most of the work on all of the classics I have owned. The owner not only has a C-10 he is a classic / muscle car enthusiast. A very fair and honest man. The only problem he has is too much classic business. Not to mention his normal repair shop.

Would I put an EFI on another vehicle? For me, the turn-key expense doesn't justify the cost. Installed an easy $ 2,500.00 could be spent. Most people can get their classic to start with three pumps and a turn of the key for a lot less.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
Rickysnickers

If you want EFI, I'd suggest going with Edelbrock's Pro Flo 4.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #7
Rust_never_sleeps

Might also consider the Carb Cheater as a "middle" option:
https://thecarbcheater.com/
Rust_never_sleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:36 PM   #8
pjmoreland

I installed a Sniper on my truck six months ago, along with the HyperSpark distributor, which allows the Sniper to control timing. Initially I had an issue where the Sniper would reboot randomly while driving, causing the engine to cut out momentarily. These systems are vulnerable to electrical noise. In an effort to fix that issue, I did the following:

1) Replaced my 12SI alternator with a CS130, as the CS130 is supposed to have a cleaner output for the early EFI vehicles that it came in originally

2) Isolated the keyed ignition wire from the Sniper wiring using a relay

3) Isolated the air cleaner from the engine by adding a section of plastic to the mounting rod along with electrical tape around the bottom rim

These changes did decrease the frequency of the rebooting, but it was still happening occasionally. Then I stumbled onto this article:

https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro...r-rfi-problems

The first recommendation it makes is to install a set of MSD Super Conductor spark plug wires. I had installed a new set of nice Accel wires with ceramic boots, so this was a bit painful for me, but I went ahead and got a set of the MSD wires. This ended up solving the problem completely.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31223

Another issue I had was that the throttle was extremely touchy off idle. The pedal was stiff, and it was difficult to get going smoothly without giving it too much gas. Holley makes a progressive linkage, which I tried out, but it ended up messing with the EFI tune, and it wasn't delivering fuel evenly to all of the cylinders based on inspecting the spark plugs. I ended up going with a throttle arm extender instead.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNE-20-16

Overall, I am very happy with the Sniper. The main thing is the ease of cold starts. I used to have to play a game of one foot on the gas and one on the brake to keep the engine idling while shifting into gear and backing out of my garage. Now it just starts and stays running with no difficulty at all. Also, the throttle response is amazingly crisp. One disappointment is that my fuel mileage didn't improve at all. I had put quite a bit of time and effort into tuning the carburetor that the Sniper replaced, so I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise.

My main recommendation is to follow Holley's installation instructions 100%. Don't try and take any shortcuts.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #9
geunther

I had my original carb rebuilt by Cliff Ruggles and it was easily worth it. That being said, I wanted to have easier starts, different elevation adjustments done automatically etc.

I installed the Sniper using the original tank and FiTech sump. While it did not run any better than the professionally build carb, it did perform well. I did chase the fuel map around a bit due to still relying on points.

I then installed the Hyperspark. Once I did that it was a bit of a game changer and I have no regrets.

To reiterate others, if you do install, follow the directions explicitly. Keep control wiring away from anything ignition related. I can now start the engine without a leg pumping workout after sitting for a few weeks.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:40 PM   #10
mkmc69

Just got an email about this today.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...9ejM%3D.UWDnY2
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:19 PM   #11
weq92f

An alternative that was designed and manufactured by MSD before Holley bought them back in 2015. Holley has combined the Atomic and the Sniper into a new product marketed as the MSD Atomic II, an improvement apparently over the original Atomic but it's more of a hybrid of the two systems.

This is the master kit ( the original Atomic from MSD ) w/fuel pump/filter, lines and the EFI unit. There is a pretty good install base out there...not as many troubles it seems as the sniper though. I run this kit on a 396, been going for the last 7 years w/no major issues.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2900

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:29 PM   #12
d4hartley

I had a positive experience with the holley sniper. I installed it on my 72 c10 and it ran awesome and had zero issues. Took my time over a weekend to run the wiring and finish install. I used my stock gas tank and it ran fine. I also installed the hyperspark so I can run timing also and made everything so much smoother. We also installed it on my friends c10 and it runs just fine also. Most problems are caused by rushing through the install and not following directions. You can look through my build thread on it I think there's some pictures.
d4hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:28 AM   #13
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
If you want EFI, I'd suggest going with Edelbrock's Pro Flo 4.
X2. I have had my 355 SBC for 20 years and for 17 of it it had a Holley DP on it that I spent a lot of time dialing in. Switched to Pro Flo 4 a couple years ago and it ran perfect right out of the box. If I didn’t have a box with a half a dozen perfectly good carbs in it I’ve collected over the years, I’d say I would never do one again.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 07:12 AM   #14
A1971Blazer

Holley has introduced a new version..... Sniper 2
they have reportedly fixed many of the issues associated with the original version.
My 72 K/5 has a Sniper that was on it when I bought it, so far it has functioned pretty well, but I really haven't had the time to get into advanced features and tuning.
It hasn't left me stranded....yet....?
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #15
Ekliptix

I've just been ok with mine. The shop that adjusted my trans (700R4), dyno tuned the truck and custom tuned the sniper. It's still just meh, but my engine is probably just tired. I have not noticed much of a difference from the carb, including any improvement on cold starts. My 2bbl carb on my blazer starts the engine quicker then the sniper'ed 402.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

No personal experience but at this year's Portland Swap Meet I saw over a dozen used ones for sale. Some for less than $500 bucks. To me, that says something.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:15 AM   #17
Accelo

A friend of my had issues with his. It was a hybrid system with an OEM distributor. Definitely more of a changeling to tune. System ran really well but wouldn't idle. IAC was going all over the map. After two different tunes I identified the issue, it was the vacuum can on the distributor. The motor had a camshaft in it and it lowered the vacuum enough the canister was changing the timing at idle. To be fair this would have been an issue with a carburetor or injection. For that reason I would recommend the system with the digital distributor. Just easier to tune by experts. Just not a lot of people with the skills to do the Hybrid systems.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:12 AM   #18
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
No personal experience but at this year's Portland Swap Meet I saw over a dozen used ones for sale. Some for less than $500 bucks. To me, that says something.
Just curious how many carbs you saw for sale? Last swap meet I went to, there were probably 100 of them if various forms.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:14 AM   #19
HO455
Post Whore

Well since carburetors have been around for more than 100 years from virtually every car manufacturer and Snipers only came out as an aftermarket part in 2016, of course the ratio of carburetors to Snipers is going to be massively in favor of carburetors. There were more than14 million Ford Model T carburetors alone.

When someone shells out $1000 to replace a carburetor and then for whatever reason turns around and puts it up for sale it for less than half of what they bought to me indicates a dissatisfied consumer.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:42 AM   #20
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Well since carburetors have been around for more than 100 years from virtually every car manufacturer and Snipers only came out as an aftermarket part in 2016, of course the ratio of carburetors to Snipers is going to be massively in favor of carburetors. There were more than14 million Ford Model T carburetors alone.

When someone shells out $1000 to replace a carburetor and then for whatever reason turns around and puts it up for sale it for less than half of what they bought to me indicates a dissatisfied consumer.
How many Model T carburetors did you see there considering there were so many made 100 years ago?

Times change, which is why you don't see any manufacturers running carbs anymore. For all you know, with all the seemingly big push to put in bigger engines with turbos and superchargers, those 12 units could be for sale simply because they upgraded. There have been a lot of aftermarket units made in the past 20 years. Just like all the Holley carbs you see for sale, people upgraded.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:14 PM   #21
cjoenny89

I put a Holley Sniper on my 1984 Camaro and what a game changer. no more cold starts, runs great and it was like adding a bunch of HP. I am planning on installing on my 68 C20 as well. like with everything you will have some bad ones, some good ones and some great ones. Some it depends on installation and the person doing the work. It was by far one of the best additions to my car.
anyone wanting to sell one please feel free to message me!
Old 07-29-2023, 11:31 PM   #22
2500HD

I had the Sniper and it was never really very good. it was good enough for a truck that is driven a couple times a month but any more than than that the little things make it very irritaing. It was just good enough to not take it off and throw it away. Finally the ECU went out and Holley sent me a whole new kit without hessitation. I bought a Proflo 4 and gave the new Sniper to my buddy. The Proflo 4 is great! My truck is not my daily driver but i do actually drive it every day if that makes sense. The proflo 4 does not require constant attention. It is set it and forget it. It is also nice the can bus works for communicating with the Compushift TCU. I would stay with a carb before i used another Sniper and i would never use a carb if i could get a Proflo 4.
Now ZZ454/4L80E/Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4/3:73 Eaton Posi
PS PB and cold factory air
Early Classic 4.5/6
Front 20X8.5 Riddler 4.75 inch bs Pirelli 255/40/20
Rear 20X10 Riddler 5.5 inch bs Toyo 295/40/40
Rear end is original wide 6 lug converted to 5 lug
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:25 AM   #23
52napco

From my petsonal experience...if you run a fitech or sniper make sure you have a friend with a rollback..both are chinese and its hit or miss at best..I have had good success
with GM TBI kits like Howell..over the counter parts and very
dependable.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote