The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Tony S.

Headers on my 64 C-10

Hi all,

Looking to install some headers on my big block.

I don't think I have much room in there and want to install some noise makers.

I have a 1964 C-10 that I pulled the six and installed a 1978 454. Now I'm looking close to being ready to install.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the information!
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Headers on my 64 C-10

It depends on what engine mounts you are using and whether you have lowered the front of your truck. On my '66 Suburban I used '73-'87 headers. Regardless of which headers you use, you will still have to trim the top flange of the frame.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Tony S.

Thanks Captainfab! I can always count on you!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #4
Tony S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
It depends on what engine mounts you are using and whether you have lowered the front of your truck. On my '66 Suburban I used '73-'87 headers. Regardless of which headers you use, you will still have to trim the top flange of the frame.
I used 79 C-20 mounts and no I haven't lowered it, yet.

It's still stock 64 C10 suspension.

So your saying if I get some headers installed into it I might run into some problems later if I decide to lower it?

Any recommendations on what type of headers to use so if at some point I decide to lower it that it doesn't cause me issues?

Thanks Captainfab!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
PGSigns

Some headers hang lower than others and that is the problem with going lower. I used chevelle headers when I did my 64 many years ago. They tucked up pretty good. There have been several threads in this and the engine section covering this. I would do a search in both sections.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
urmyboyblue

I used one set off of a 70 Chevelle that worked well on mine and I used a second set later on that fit like crap. Both had to have some work done on the upper flange of the frame. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand name. Both were with stock motor mounts.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
Tony S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Some headers hang lower than others and that is the problem with going lower. I used chevelle headers when I did my 64 many years ago. They tucked up pretty good. There have been several threads in this and the engine section covering this. I would do a search in both sections.
Jimmy
Thank you sir! The ones I have are off of a 78 Camaro. Those probably wont work either?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
Tony S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
I used one set off of a 70 Chevelle that worked well on mine and I used a second set later on that fit like crap. Both had to have some work done on the upper flange of the frame. Unfortunately I don't remember the brand name. Both were with stock motor mounts.
So if you can tell me, how much is to much when it comes to cutting the top frame rail? I cut about 3/8'' off for the big block mounts for the 454. Is it going to be more than that do you think?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Tony S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Jimmy
Thanks bud! I appreciate it and I will check it out.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Tony S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Captainfab to the rescue again! Hell, you want to just come on over here and build this thing for me? HAHAHA!!

Thanks again guy. I appreciate all your advice!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
urmyboyblue

I did not have to cut my engine mounts at all. With the first set, I cut around 3/8-1/2" off the top flange of the driver side frame rail only- just to clear the tube off of #1. The second set required more of the flange to be cut out.

If you are ambitious, you could build a set. I built mine to route outside the frame rails on each side. The muffler sits under the cab and the exhaust exits in front of the rear wheel. I like this routing better than any other I have had.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The Chevelle headers will work most of the time, with an auto trans. But there is a current thread in Engine and Drivetrain where a guy is having issues with his truck and Chevelle headers. Then again as PGSigns said, there are several threads about using Chevelle headers on a BBC in these trucks.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote