The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Bustedknuckle

I need expert knowledge.

I bought a 1970 chevy pickup and i am new to these trucks. I want the 67-68 hood but I have been told that i will also have to change the fenders and radiator support if i want to do this. I guess my question is if this is true or not. I have planned to shave my existing fender's marker lights but if I find that i will have to get fenders along with a hood i will just go ahead and get a 67 dog house. To save me some work. And is there a place where i can get a floor pan with a high hump like in a 4WD? I've looked everywhere and all i can find avalible are 2WD floor pans. I guess I can order the hump seperate and install it but I'd rather have it clean frome the press.
Bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: I need expert knowledge.

As far as I know ( i could be wrong it has happened before) you can use either hood with either fender it just depends on which grill you want to run. A friend had 68 fenders with a 72 grill and that didn't line up well with the fenders at the bottom. The 67-8 fenders need to be use with the same year grill and 69-72 also need the appropriate year grill.
With the high hump situation the floor pans are all the same, the high hump was just bolted into a cut out stock low hump floor pan. you would just have to buy a "high hump" mark and cut out the stamped low hump stock floor and bolt it in. all high humps were bolted in there is no such thing as a stamped one piece high hump floor.
I dont know about the rad support but I have heard there are 2 different ones (to match the hood) 67-8 and 69-72.
And there are many vendors selling side marker filler plates to shave the side marker lights off of the fenders and bedsides.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
rob32472

67-68 hood requires a complete 67-68 front clip.....
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Bustedknuckle

Thanks you guys, I had no clue. You have been very helpful.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob32472 View Post
67-68 hood requires a complete 67-68 front clip.....
x2

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I have a strange ? to ask why do you need a high hump floor.I've been told and seen that the 400 trans can fit under the low hump or high hump floors Now if your putting in one of them 4 speeds or a 4X4 i can understand But my ? is why
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Some of us prefer the high hump. Plus if running an aftermarket shifter, it is easier up high. GM made thousands upon thousands of small block/TH400 and handfulls of inline6/TH400 low hump trucks. The High hump was only used in big blocks/TH400, all 4 speeds, and all 4x4 trucks.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Bustedknuckle

Well I'm planning on stuffing a 2000 year model 454 under the hood with a 5-speed tranny behind it. It may all fit perfectly but i would rather not risk it. I know I probably shouldn't even worry until I've at least tried to test fit it all but I figured that since i was replacing the floor neways I would just go ahead and replace it with a high hump floor, just to nip any furture issues in the bud. I was hoping that there was a manufacturer who made a floor pan with the removable hump already in it. But now that I have learned that the only way to have a high hump floor is to modify a new low hump floor, I have reconsidered. So now I'll just go ahead and get a low hump floor and hope that it clears. and if not... I'll get the high hump panel and intall it.... But I really appreaciate all of these responses guys. I just made my account a couple of days ago. I never dreamed that I would get any answers this soon. You have all been very helpful.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would have the high hump section on hand for when you try to install the combo. If you need it, you'll have it and you can keep on working. If it all clears, then you have something to sell after everything is bolted down.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

With a top-loader manual transmission you will definitely need a high hump.
Only low hump floors are being reproduced. You'll have to do the conversion yourself. The edges won't be rolled like the factory and you'll want to tack weld the nuts under the floor for ease of removal/installation.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
67c10rustbuket

Sorry my hood info was not clear enough. It is definately easiest to swap the whole clip, the hood will match the top profile of the fenders and requires the same radiator support. In short you can get away with using the wrong fenders but may have alignment issues with the grill. The problem is the 67-68 hood is longer than 69-72 so the only way to use the early hood is either : get a hood , rad support and a custom made phantom billet grill , hack out the top of your grill (please don't), section an early hood (shorten it in length, seen it done before) or just swap the whole clip for a 67-8 definately the way to go unless you really want to put alot of time and $ into making the wrong hood work.
On the high hump deal another benefit of it is if you use a dropmember or z your frame it will give the room to clear a raised drive train
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote