The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Dyoungblood

1975 Cheyenne Project

I just got a 75 Cheyenne with a 350 someone put in at least 20 years ago. It's been sitting for almost 15 years out in a field but apparently the motor was strong back then and built by a professional. I'm trying to decide if I should tear this thing apart and try reusing the parts after inspection and rebuild or if I should just try and make it run with new rubber, fluids and a carb. The only thing I can tell about it without pulling it is it's got an Edelbrock Torker, some long block, and a Rochester QuadraJet 17053507, some small headers and a bunch of wasps nests.. the motor cant have more than 30000 miles on it but its been in the elements for a long time. Any advice or "if I were you's"?
Dyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: 1975 Cheyenne Project

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Dyoungblood

Hey thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Old65C10

Welcome.

It is always a risk to take an engine that has been sitting for years and try to start it up. I have seen everything from just turning it over by had before firing, to filling the cylinder with oil and letting it sit for a day to a week.
At a minimum, you will want to change all fluids. Turn it over by hand at least 2 full revolutions. Pull the distributor and use a oil pump primer in a drill to push oil through the system.
Put in new spark plugs and try to start it. If it runs, you can decide if it runs good or not, do a compression test. See what the overall health is of the motor and go from there.
I have a 1965 C10 that I got running after sitting behind a barn for 22 years. It runs great now and I have not pulled the engine apart at all. But every case will be different.
Time does bad things to seals, so don't be shocked if the thing leaks from every place that hold fluids.
Transmission, brakes, etc. are all another story and need to be dealt with.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Dyoungblood

65 c10, what all did you do to it before cranking? Does yours leak all over or did you replace a bunch of stuff?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ive had a lot of luck over the years starting and using SBCs that were left idle for years. Ive always removed plugs and shot trans oil in the cylinders and let sit for a bit then hand cranked the motor Ive then changed the oil and made sure that I cranked the motor to get circulation of oil. New coolant plugs wires and then a start. Ive got a 79 now that has sat about 3 years im going to refire soon and that's how I will start it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
daddyjeep

My big block truck sat for 12 years. The company that brought it to me said that they drove it onto the trailer and did nothing but rig up a can with new gas. I was a little worried at what damage they may have caused, but it runs strong. I would put some oil in the cylinders and after some time crank it by hand. If it seems to crank ok follow Old65C10's advice.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Old65C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoungblood View Post
65 c10, what all did you do to it before cranking? Does yours leak all over or did you replace a bunch of stuff?
Not much to be honest. I rolled it over by hand, checked the oil, put in a battery and cranked it over with no ignition. Once I saw that it was not locked up and turned over smooth, and got the oil moving, I dropped some gas down the throat and hit the key. It look a little bit, but it did fire and run.
So far I have replaced the coolant hoses, all brake parts and fuel hoses. I also cleaned out the fuel tank. New fuel pump.
Right now it still has the original plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
Right now it has no leaks. However, I have not driven it for a couple of months and need to do some work on it. It is a project and I got it for fun. I have a 84 K30 and a Goldwing so it is not needed right now. I also work from home and rarely drive anywhere.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Ive had a lot of luck over the years starting and using SBCs that were left idle for years. Ive always removed plugs and shot trans oil in the cylinders and let sit for a bit then hand cranked the motor Ive then changed the oil and made sure that I cranked the motor to get circulation of oil. New coolant plugs wires and then a start. Ive got a 79 now that has sat about 3 years im going to refire soon and that's how I will start it
That's how we always do it. My theory is that engines that sit in the vehicle with the hood and air cleaner intact hold up much much better than an engine sitting on the floor of a garage. My buddy is doing the same thing right now. His truck sat since 2001 or so. Last time we talked he was going to let the trans fluid sit in the engine a couple days before trying to turn it over. I have had engines that sat for 8-10 years and I started them without the trans fluid and they seemed to be fine. I would go with RustyC10's procedure.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote