The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
roger55

My new home spray booth design - 16 photos

The workshop stall that I use for both body work and paint is 14ft wide by 24ft long with a 10ft ceiling. It has a 9ft wide by 8ft high garage door at one end and a 3ft wide by 6ft high window on the opposite end.

So, my plan was to put two totally enclosed motor 24" drum fans in the window that blow outwards and an intake filter wall on the garage door end using spray booth filters.

These are the fans I bought:
https://www.jdmfg.com/industrial/rec...drive-drum-fan

Bought them here with free shipping:
https://www.equipsupply.com/heating-...pivot-drum-fan

Total flow is 14,400 (7,200 X 2) cfm if the specs they publish are accurate.

I made a frame out of 3/4" plywood to mount the fans to and painted it with gloss oil based paint. I mounted the fans using J bolts and the hook part goes in the lip on the outside of the fan drum.

I cut the excess length off the J bolts and mounted the frame to the window frame on the outside of the workshop:

Inside:

On the inside you can see that there's no interference with the operation of the double hung windows. I can use them to hold the heat in at night, open the window and use one fan or for spraying, remove both windows.

These double hung windows are super easy to remove as long as you know the correct procedure:

Now on to the filter wall build.
I built an intake filter wall out of 1X4 and 1X8 lumber. It's got eight 2ft X 4ft openings for attaching the PAINT BOOTH INTAKE FILTERS I bought.

Attached the wall to the garage door trim with one deck screw on each side and went around the perimeter with duct tape for a seal. I attached the filters to the wood wall using an electric staple gun with 3/8" staples. Worked perfectly.

Garage door still operates while filter wall is in place. When I spray the paint, I will cover the top of the open door with plastic sheet so overspray won't settle on to the outside of the door.

Car painted with SPI single-stage white. Closed door up and put the windows back in for the night:

The fans and filters worked super well. Clears the overspray fog really fast. I've never had so little dust during painting a car. I'm not sure if I have any dust at this point. Won't know for sure until after cut and buff.

Next day: Removed filter wall and moved off to the side in order to move the car into my other workshop stall. Now on to painting the hood, fenders, nose and tailgate.

Here's a photo of the overspray on the fans. I sprayed USC Magic Mask liquid masking onto the fans before spraying the paint on the car. I hope that will allow me to gently brush the fans with soap and water to get the overspray off. We shall see how well that works.

Last edited by roger55; 01-28-2018 at 10:39 AM.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
MP&C

Re: My new home spray booth design - 16 photos

Nice job Roger!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

that is sweet....I'm jealous. ..did you ad any extra lighting?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 AM   #4
roger55

Thanks guys!

No extra lighting. The lights I have in the ceiling are bright though.
I've got six 4-led tube fixtures and they are sealed so dust cannot get in or out of them.

A commercial spray booth would have better lighting with ceiling and wall lights but if I need extra, I'll have to use portables. This bright white paint was kind of blinding. Not sure if lighting from the sides would have helped or not.
I actually didn't get the last coat of paint on quite as wet as I could have. It would have gotten a better shine but no matter as I'm going to color sand and buff anyway.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
bs46488

Very nice.

When should I bring mine over for a paint job?

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Killer Bee

awesome work on all counts!

I don't have anything worth painting but I can still appreciate it for those that do
Old 01-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
MARTINSR

Yep, that booth is as good as the professional cross draft booths I have used, very nice.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
roger55

Thanks everyone!

I think what I've done will keep dust out as well as a commercial cross-draft spray booth but the 2 differences are that a commercial booth will have an exhaust filter wall and better lighting.
If my stall were just a couple of feet longer, it would have been more feasible for me to have done a wood temporary exhaust wall and put it a couple of feet in front of the window with the exhaust fans. I thought about that but opted to try the USC spray masking on the fans instead. For side lighting, I'm just going to have to use portable lights like I already said.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. My objective here was for sharing what I did so others might get ideas of things to do that fit their situation.

Last edited by roger55; 01-23-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
tdangle

What about installing the cheap type furnace filters in front of the exhaust fans.
I doubt it would restrict air flow much and may grab the paint overspray keeping the fans cleaner.

Great setup anyway, wish I had a building I could setup the same way.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
What about installing the cheap type furnace filters in front of the exhaust fans.
I doubt it would restrict air flow much and may grab the paint overspray keeping the fans cleaner.
Great setup anyway, wish I had a building I could setup the same way.
Maybe that would be OK but I'm not sure how much it would impede the air flow. Pro booths use walls with a large total fllter area to keep the air flow amount high while giving more time until they get plugged.

I chose to try the liquid spray masking first to see if it works out OK.