The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
TazmanB

Taking the leap to build

After playing around with cars and trucks most of my life, I have decided to take the leap to build the 69 Chevy C-10 that I have always wanted. I bought this truck about 2 1/2 years ago and started tinkering with it to get it road worthy.

It had wiring problems along with several other things that I found on the short drive home that scared the hell out of me. Everytime I hit the brakes the rear end locked up. The steering column moved around as much at the steering wheel did. I got about half way home and the new battery I bought and put in it to start it was just about done for. I drove most of the second half home with no lights to help limp it home. Thank God my son was following me.

I started by replacing the alternator and changed it over to an internal regulator, rebuilding the brakes and fixing several shorts in the wiring. The truck appeared to have a new painless wiring kit that had not been installed very well. I worked on the steering column a little and got it move around less but was not perfect.

A few months later I decided I would update the front end to disk brakes, new brake booster and master cylinder, drop spindles and drop springs for a total front end drop of 3 inches and a new steering column. I also have 4 inch drop springs for the rear, tubular trailing arms and new trailing arm cross member that I have not installed yet. I decided I would wait to do the rear until I started the build, if I ever did.

Well that is were I am and I have decided I will try and build the truck now. The truck is not a daily driver but I do drive it on a regular basis and will be tryking to keep it in a running state as long as I can. I have started on the bed and have gotten all the trim holes welded up, after removing all the bondo the PO put on the bed to try and fill all the holes. The drivers side has been taken down to bare metal and I have started the body work on it.
Attached Images

TazmanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
BarryB

Re: Taking the leap to build

Looks good, keep us updated on the process, And If it hasn't been mentioned welcome to the board.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
TazmanB

Thanks BarryB. I have been on this site for a while now but just starting to get more involved. Seeing all the awesome trucks being built on this site has motivated me to do something with mine. Its not going to be a show truck but I hope it turns out to be a nice semi-driver.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
~Whitey~

Looking good, just seeing that bed side stripped makes me cringe at how much work that took. Keep at it and keep the pics coming.

Welcome from Springfield, MO!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
TazmanB

Thanks Whitey, It wasn't that bad but it wasnt fun. Not a lot of damage to the side except the front lower section had a crease in it and a few dings in the upper rear section. I plan to skim coat the whole bed side with metal glaze to get the small waves out of it.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
yuccales

Lookin' forward to more pics of your build!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
TazmanB

Posted via Mobile Device

69 C-10 Longbed (In Progress) Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568171
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
TazmanB

Well got the major body work on the drivers side bed done and the first round of primer on. Now it's time to start blocking it out and see how I did
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

69 C-10 Longbed (In Progress) Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568171
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
TazmanB

First round of blocking on the drivers side is done. It came out pretty good but still has a few things to fix but I knew there would be. I dont know of very many guys that get everything the first time.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
TazmanB

Got the second round of primer on and it's looking pretty good. Time to let it sit for a little bit since I have to go back to work tomorrow. Im still undecided if I should go with a two tone blue and charcoal grey or go with a solid blue. All the moldings will be removed so a painted dividing stripe will be painted and air brushed to look like diamond plated stainless steel if I go with a two tone. The interior is going to be charcoal grey leather.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Scott>72-GMC

Looking damn good I'd say
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
TazmanB

Thanks Scott. Still have several rounds of blocking but it will get there sooner or later.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Scott>72-GMC

My bed mostly straight but a big dent in the rear by the bumper. That ought to be fun but ur work is keeping me inspired
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC View Post
My bed mostly straight but a big dent in the rear by the bumper. That ought to be fun but ur work is keeping me inspired
Posted via Mobile Device
The passenger side has a big area of visible bondo repair that is about 2 feet by 2 feet in the upper front. Im not looking forward to getting all the bondo out and trying to fix it right.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
b.eddy's72

I cant wait to see more. Dont be like me and post a few shots, get everybodys hopes up, and than shoot us down by running out of steam.............I run out of steam pretty quick but I think it has to do with getting older.

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
TazmanB

It has been a while since I have been able to work on the truck. Spring break, kids sick and work but I will be back to it today. I hope I can get the drivers side of the bed in final primer and start on the passenger side. Not looking forward to the huge dent in on the passengers side, but it has to come out so no use in complaining about.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Scott>72-GMC

Posted via Mobile Device
This is my dent i was telling u about follows around on the side but the big issue is under the light. Oh boy. Can't wait to see more pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
TazmanB

I worked on the dent on the passenger side a little bit. There was about an inch of bondo on it and I ended up chipping it out with a hammer and chisel. Why in the world would someone put that much bondo on a truck? They make body hammers and dollies for a reason.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
This is my dent i was telling u about follows around on the side but the big issue is under the light. Oh boy. Can't wait to see more pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the same dent on mine. The bumper is pushed up against it.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
TazmanB

Well I got the huge dent out of the passenger side of the bed and the first round of primer on. Time to start blocking and blocking and blocking.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Welcome to the board!
Fantastic progress so far. I am interested in the repairs you made to the side that had all the bondo. Do you have any pics showing how that repair was made?

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
Welcome to the board!
Fantastic progress so far. I am interested in the repairs you made to the side that had all the bondo. Do you have any pics showing how that repair was made?

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.
Here are a couple after I got it all out and ready for a skim coat of metal glaze. I started with the lower body line, you cant see it in the pictures but there was a 1/2 inch bow in the body line. I took a 2x4 and lined it up on the inside lower edge of the body line. Then used a 4 ton portable hydraulic equipment kit with the spreader attachment and put it between the bed floor and the 2x4 and pushed the body line out where it needed to be and worked the top portion of the body line with a hammer till it stayed where it needed to be. Once the body line was right I started on the dent itself from the outside edge of the dent toward the center moving all the extra metal to the center with a hammer and dolly. After several hours of massaging the metal all the extra metal was in the center where it was about 1/4 high. I shrank the metal using a tourch and water and a little more hammer and dolly work. I got the center dead even and the surrounding area was around 1/16 low. Used some metal glaze to even it all out and you see the result.

It was a lot of work but in order to do it the right way that is what it takes. Hope that helps a little sorry I dont have more pictures showing all of the work in steps. When I get to working I forget about stopping to take pictures.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #23
TazmanB

If you look at the bare metal pictures you can see the discoloration around the outside edge of the dent. Yea it was a really big dent and about an inch deep.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
TazmanB

Well I started the finish work on the passenger side bed last week and half way through the first blocking I got a call from my wife that she was going to the hospital. Needless to say the truck got put on hold and off to the hospital I went. Hopefully she will be released from the hospital sometime this week and I will be able to get back on the truck next week.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
BigDaddyV

Prayers going up for you and your wife. Excellent work bud cant wait to see more.
1972 Chevy C10, Project "Chevro~Layed out" Nether Storm
Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post6007523
BigDaddyV is offline   Reply With Quote