The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
sixty4bigwindow

Rack and pinion

Hey guys, anybody know of any decent Non-power rack and pinion setups for our rigs, preferably bolt on? I've seen all the power, new setups for like 1500. But I'm looking for something a little more budget friendly for the time being. My current power-setup is rather s****y lol.. Thanks fellas!
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
jimmythompson1964

Re: Rack and pinion

I second that, I would like to change mine to a manual rack.
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

I wonder if you called these guys and asked them if they would sell you a manual unit, would they do it?
http://www.unisteer.com/c10/60-66-ch...inion-kit.html
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
jimmythompson1964

Can't hurt to ask...no is the worst it can get
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
AcampoDave

Would a manual rack and pinion require less steering effort than the factory manual setup? I just wonder, because if the steering ends up being a bear to turn then you may soon find yourself wishing it was power assisted. I don't mean to be "David Downer" here, but I sure would want know what to expect before making a purchase of that caliber.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
sixty4bigwindow

Dave you make an excellent point. Thats why I was factoring in cost with it. I mean, if a nom power will run over 500, there is no point to going that route instead of just spending the extra few hundred for the power assist package.. But if there is a manual rack less than a 3rd of the price that will suffice until funds are available, I would def go that route. But I do agree with you on doing it once, and doing it right lol..
Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
theastronaut

I doubt you'll find a manual rack with a ratio that makes it easy enough to steer for something as heavy as a truck. I'd think that most racks are quicker ratio than a 70's/80's power steering box, so imagine one of those with no power but a faster ratio that gives you less leverage.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
AcampoDave

You could buy a 70's style truck power box, pump, and hoses from O'reily's or whatever, find a DD shaft/rag joint assy from a squarebody, order a Captain Fab adapter bracket, and still get a new paintable steel column from ididit or the like and not totally break the bank. Then you'd be like new from top to bottom.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
LVPhotos

I run a manual Flamming River 3:1 on Porterbuilt '62 front. Its quick. I got to ease up on wheel when I shift or will change lanes. Like driving a go kart. Great at hiway speeds. Parking about same but a 245/45/18 vs a 235/60/15 is a bit more effort. A rack is not as tight as stock turn. I like the quick ratio but have got use to it, PB suggested the standerd one. 15" mooneyes wheel, a fatter wheel might be more comfortable.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
sixty4bigwindow

See, this is why I love you all lol! Great input, thank you guys. I am just going to continue with the box i have for now, just replace the power steering hoses, and upgrade the column first (getting loud grinding noises during turns, and sometimes it gets "stuck" and have to break it free.) Its a mid 70s c20 box, but it leaks fluid from both hoses. Eventually I am going to upgrade to the power rack and pinion kit, but it looks like for now I'll make some smaller cheaper fixes. If anybody knows a good later model column thats a pretty easy bolt in for ours that would help! Tilt preferred
Old 12-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
AcampoDave

I've been down that later model column road a few times. Most recently with a '70 Coupe de Ville tilt/tele. But I've also done others. It's always a PITA especially with regard to the e-brake handle and mechanisim. Also steering wheel placement often winds up being too close to the driver resulting in further mods which makes shifter placement dicy. Last time I swore I was done using 30+ year old junk and contorting myself under the dash. If I ever do another column I'm going to call ididit. People say they have good luck with van columns and motorhomes due to the smaller tube diameters but those are about as rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-14-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I've been down that later model column road a few times. Most recently with a '70 Coupe de Ville tilt/tele. But I've also done others. It's always a PITA especially with regard to the e-brake handle and mechanisim. Also steering wheel placement often winds up being too close to the driver resulting in further mods which makes shifter placement dicy. Last time I swore I was done using 30+ year old junk and contorting myself under the dash. If I ever do another column I'm going to call ididit. People say they have good luck with van columns and motorhomes due to the smaller tube diameters but those are about as rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods.
Ok so that's another topic (I know, it goes from one thing to another, to another with our rigs lol...) But my E-brake is not fully connected. I have a turbo 400 tranny, so not the original x-member with the brackets. I have tried to look high and low to find the linkage to connect the under-dash handle to the rear linkage. Lokar seems to have some stuff that KINDA looks like it would work, but I am hard-pressed to find the actual piece to mate our original handle to our original x-member back, linkage. ALL of that tied in to the column, I wouldn't mind splurging for an aftermarket or different column, If I go the route of like the Lokar tranny mount e-brake handle.

Basically it's a freakin domino effect puzzle lol. Making sure this piece fits with that piece, and the puzzle comes together.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #13
LVPhotos

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/e-sto...mergency+brake
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
I have a different one of those, I think speedway even sells it. I'm using a spring loaded switch that replaces the choke knob (with a C-10 knob of course) to operate it. I just hooked up recently but I havnt filled and bled the brakes yet so I'm holding off.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #15
AcampoDave

Apparently, it's possible to upgrade to the '66 style which doesn't use the bar and slot at the cross member. The link is a current thread and he's still sorting out the details, but you could contact him and see how it goes. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=752354
Old 12-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
LV you tryna' break my bank on the E-Brake setup haha! $500 would be better spent on saving for the R&P! But I see your point, there are other setups than stock or manual..

Rock, what is your setup you're working with? Is it a manual setup or electric like the one LV posted?

Anybody seen any Lokar or any up front linkage that attaches right to our stock cables? I remember seeing CaptainFab post something about a Lokar setup on a customers Nova a while back. Never could find out what he was talking about connecting the 2 though. Paging CaptainFab haha
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #17
sixty4bigwindow

Ok, so browsing Summit, this looks like a "universal type" unit, as long as I mate it with a Lokar shifter. Would this mate up to the original linkage with some modifying?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-xehb-7016
Old 12-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #18
sixty4bigwindow

And there is a tilt column complete unit out of what looks like a late 70s chevy car (monte carlo maybe) on craigslist for 75. Anybody know what that would be like to try and make work?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
The Rocknrod

You could use your own brake handle and do this under the cab.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM   #20
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
You could use your own brake handle and do this under the cab.
Yes!!! Thats it!! So Rock do you have a part number for this one?? That would connect my handle to my cables going to the drums??
Old 12-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #21
The Rocknrod

They are on lokars web site under accessories I think. Also cables they have there and here: http://www.controlcables.com/
Also here is a type of bracket: http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-controls/
Old 12-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #22
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4bigwindow View Post
Ok so that's another topic (I know, it goes from one thing to another, to another with our rigs lol...) But my E-brake is not fully connected. I have a turbo 400 tranny, so not the original x-member with the brackets. I have tried to look high and low to find the linkage to connect the under-dash handle to the rear linkage. Lokar seems to have some stuff that KINDA looks like it would work, but I am hard-pressed to find the actual piece to mate our original handle to our original x-member back, linkage. ALL of that tied in to the column, I wouldn't mind splurging for an aftermarket or different column, If I go the route of like the Lokar tranny mount e-brake handle.

Basically it's a freakin domino effect puzzle lol. Making sure this piece fits with that piece, and the puzzle comes together.
I used some old Harley Davidson clutch cables,worked out nice
Attached Images

hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #23
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
They are on lokars web site under accessories I think. Also cables they have there and here: http://www.controlcables.com/
Also here is a type of bracket: http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-controls/
Rock you are the man! That bracket is going to work out perfectly for the setup. A little fab and a connecting cable, and I should be good to roll. Thanks a ton!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #24
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarm View Post
I used some old Harley Davidson clutch cables,worked out nice
Hog that setup looks like it will work awesome. But since you are running disc, you think the HD ones will fit on a drum setup? How much did those set you back?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
rvrfoot

I have a 66 i can send you pictures if needed.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote