The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
GM man

Keeping 4L65 in drive

Just finished installing my 6.0 with a 4L65 and having an issue with it popping out of drive, while driving down the road. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix?

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
1972 Chevrolet long bed 1/2 ton
GM man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Keeping 4L65 in drive

4x4? What shifter linkage are you using? I haven't done an LS swap. Did you have to move the linkage bell crank?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
truckdude239

Is it the shift poping out or the tran just going free wheel like slipping

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #4
GM man

Bigdav160 & truckdude239, yeah it's a 4x4 and I'm using the original linkage from my R700. Everything lined up right and the gear shift accurately lines up with reverse, drive, and low. It will just kinda slide out of drive always into neutral, while i'm driving. Sometimes I can hit a bump and it'll happen and other times it does it on a totally smooth road. It's like there needs to be a notch somewhere to keep it in whatever gear you select, but I'm at a loss.

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
homemade87

My guess is you are a little off with your adjustment . The ratio from you truck and the new truck with the old truck oem linkage is a little different . If you tried to set it with it on park most likely it will not line up when you hit drive . Move it to neutral and reset it ( play around with it ) .

Sounds like to me when you put it into drive ( against the stop ) you are , lets just say you are on the hump and when the trans and body move it is just falling off the hump into neutral . Most likely just needs a little tweak .

Also you may or may not get it into 1st gear when you get there . The ratio is off just enough . I run the stock linkage and I did manage to get it to work perfect . But it took some doing by bending the trans bracket to a better angle and bending the rod to accommodate the ratio difference . Some never put it into first anyway .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
GM man

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
My guess is you are a little off with your adjustment . The ratio from you truck and the new truck with the old truck oem linkage is a little different . If you tried to set it with it on park most likely it will not line up when you hit drive . Move it to neutral and reset it ( play around with it ) .

Sounds like to me when you put it into drive ( against the stop ) you are , lets just say you are on the hump and when the trans and body move it is just falling off the hump into neutral . Most likely just needs a little tweak .

Also you may or may not get it into 1st gear when you get there . The ratio is off just enough . I run the stock linkage and I did manage to get it to work perfect . But it took some doing by bending the trans bracket to a better angle and bending the rod to accommodate the ratio difference . Some never put it into first anyway .
Hmmm. Well after looking at it, I wasn't sure exactly what I could adjust, but what you're saying makes sense, so I'll give it another go. But one more thing is it appeared to me that the notches (or bumps as you go from park down through low) appear to be in the trans and not the shift lever. Is that right?

1972 GMC Jimmy 6.0/4L65
Old 12-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM man View Post
Hmmm. Well after looking at it, I wasn't sure exactly what I could adjust, but what you're saying makes sense, so I'll give it another go. But one more thing is it appeared to me that the notches (or bumps as you go from park down through low) appear to be in the trans and not the shift lever. Is that right?
Yes the positions on the trans is where you here the ratcheting sound . The column only has the lock out . You have to pull the shift leaver to go to past those points .

You may even set the trans in drive and set the column in drive and lock it down and see what it does . You may have to tweak it from there to get it to go into the other gears . P R N D are the most important . Once you get those you will most likely have 2nd . But don't be disappointed if you dont have 1st . Took me a while to get that with the stock linkage .

Last edited by homemade87; 12-17-2017 at 12:07 PM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote