The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Do you still use tire chains?

I am the only person I know that still carries and uses tire chains in winter. I have found this to be the best and most economical solution to the occasional icy road. I drive a 2002 Honda Accord.

I use my 2 & 1/4 ton hydraulic jack and put the chains on each front wheel....I use the rubber tensioners and 6 clips per wheel.

I was in Vermont last March during Winter Storm Stella(?) and my tire chains allowed me to get up the steep and icy access road and back to the motel! It took me 90 minutes to make the 20 mile drive back to the motel but I made it.

Do you carry tire chains?

How do you prefer to put these on?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Do you still use tire chains?

When the going gets tough.... really tough.... chains will get you through when nothing else will. I always carry chains but it's been a long time since I needed to use them.
There's a reason I haven't owned anything without 4WD for the past 22 years.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
AJBert

I carry chains in my Blazer for all four tires and cables in my wife's Monte Carlo for just up front (fwd). Put them on the tires on the ground, back up about 10 feet or so and get out and retighten them.
AJBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
When the going gets tough.... really tough.... chains will get you through when nothing else will. I always carry chains but it's been a long time since I needed to use them.
There's a reason I haven't owned anything without 4WD for the past 22 years.
Amen, I carry chains in all my trucks. They're all 4wd, so they haven't been used much.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
outfield

I have had 4x4's for years with oversized tires up to 38's and chains would not fit, so I would lower the tire pressure a bit.
My 69 K20 has 255 85 tires, and I picked up some chains for 10 bucks at a garage sale that fit, but never needed them this last year in the snow and ice. These tall skinny tires really work in the slick stuff compared to the 33's on the Land Rover. I carry the chains now, we just need the heavy snow so I can us every them!
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
pritch

I have them and use them, although the posi in 'Ol Green does fairly well. 2 fun tips for tire chains:

1. To me, it's easier to change the wheels than put on the chains, so I'll generally have 2 spares in the bed all chained up and ready

2. Carwashes make an excellent place to install chains (or change them wheels). If it's snowing hard enough that you need them, nobody is out washing their car and they are generally out of the blizzard and fairly snow-free
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
davischevy

I haven't owned tire chains in 30 years.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Yellowknife

I've lived in the arctic for 40 years and have never seen them used.
Yellowknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #9
snj8198

As a logger I always carried an aggressive set of chains with me for the rough logging roads and now that im out of the woods I'm still carrying heavy Laclede studded 4 links. The only problem is that the studs are too aggressive for just packed gravel roads or pavement. They rattle your teeth loose. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used cheap set of less aggressive chains. I have chains for my Rzr 1000 which im into for $100 for all 4 corners.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
As a logger I always carried an aggressive set of chains with me for the rough logging roads and now that im out of the woods I'm still carrying heavy Laclede studded 4 links.
Not familiar with that term so I Googled it -- those are some aggressive chains alright! My set is less aggressive, like their reinforced chains, what I have heard called ice bars. No clue what brand they are or where I got them decades ago. They've been used on a few different vehicles I've owned and are still in good shape.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #11
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Not familiar with that term so I Googled it -- those are some aggressive chains alright! My set is less aggressive, like their reinforced chains, what I have heard called ice bars. No clue what brand they are or where I got them decades ago. They've been used on a few different vehicles I've owned and are still in good shape.
Ya what you have are actually more effective on most slick road conditions a guy encounters. I use the gnarly ones for the back woods and rutted logging roads that I was busting through 2 feet of snow with to get to work. They are a terrible ride on any hard pack but i still have them so might as well use em. I have heard of ice bars before. I think they are the straight bar roughly 1" long. Then there's v-bars and studs in 4 link and 2 link and all sorts of neat configurations. Just for fun google bear paws! I used to run those on rubber tire skidders in the winter. Really neat!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
fine69

I had a set on a lawnmower with a snow blade once. My dad used them on a 68 Chevy Truck 40 years ago. But the are not really necessary in Ohio anymore.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
abig84

i live around chicago so we get our fair share of snow and i have never seen anyone running chains up here, i was always told they are illegal.
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
i live around chicago so we get our fair share of snow and i have never seen anyone running chains up here, i was always told they are illegal.
To be fair, I think most everything is illegal in IL.

All IL jokes aside, when I went to Vermont last year and chains were the only reason I made it up the access road to Okimo, I was the only person I saw with chains. In WV, commercial vehicles, snowplows, and school buses all run chains but up there, no one did. It was rather surprising. As I cleaned off my car to head back to WV (chains still on at that point) the snowplow guy pulled into the lot. He leaned out and said "that's the first car I've seen with chains in years." We had a long chat and among many interesting things, he told me that everyone there used a snow tire that made me think of the "F 32" tire my father had told me about. It would get more flexible as it got colder. The snowplow guy did add, "it wears out quickly, if you tried to drive up here from WV on it, it would be a bald tire by the time you got here." I think my tire chains are the ticket, all things considered.....but I live in a very hilly place, and some of the roads here don't pften see a plow, salt, gravel, or "sand" as the Vermonters call gravel.

I had to go out to the condo late last night and the access road (paved part leading to the ski resort) was very icy and the resort had not put down any gravel. I had some trouble getting up the very small hill there. Once in the parking lot I pulled over and considered putting on the chains but I was lazy. I prayed about it and went on.

I made the hill without any problems, fortunately the curve was not icy. It's coming though....if snow melts during the day and then refreezes at night (supposed to do that today) and the resort fails to put down gravel, the local towing company will be happy.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 12-16-2017 at 01:18 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
B. W.

Most people up here run studded snows, some just run all seasons (they're the ones going 20 mph!) I have a set of chains for my plow truck but my goal is to never use them!

That said, the local UPS drivers chain up on a regular basis & they've got it down, I'm talking like 5 minutes. I never want to be that good!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
I have heard of ice bars before. I think they are the straight bar roughly 1" long. Then there's v-bars and studs in 4 link and 2 link and all sorts of neat configurations. Just for fun google bear paws! I used to run those on rubber tire skidders in the winter. Really neat!
My ice bars are actually v-bars, a bit more than 3/4" long.

Those bear paws are something else!!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #17
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
You are probably right as I think that is based on each state's DOT. Here in the Rocky Mountain states we have pullouts along the highways designed for tractor trailers and trucks to throw tire chains on before starting up and down hills and mountain passes. If a commercial vehicle got into an accident (especially if another motorist was involved) it would be more consequential if they are not wearing iron.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I prefer to stay home if it's that bad out.

Can you imagine how stuck I'd be if I had chains? Tow truck would need a lot of cable
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Sometimes we don't have a choice.... you go somewhere on dry (or wet) pavement, and it snows before you can get back home. Years ago you could just go for it, use your best judgement whether to chain up or not. I rarely did. Nowadays Caltrans (Calif. DOT) stops all traffic and forces you to chain up at their discretion, enforced by Highway Patrol. Usually only an issue on mountain passes.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #20
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I prefer to stay home if it's that bad out.

Can you imagine how stuck I'd be if I had chains? Tow truck would need a lot of cable
If I'm not mistaken, your reloading bench is located in Sioux Falls. I spent the night there last January, and you guys didn't have that much snow. Does the snow stay deep for long periods there.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote