The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
swyfor5

14 bolt corp rear axle disc brake conversion

Now that I have my new "used" 14 bolt rear axle, I am looking at upgrading to disc brakes. Just seems like it would be the right time to do it, before I even install the axle. Makes no sense to me to tear the rear drums off, and invest in the rebuild of it all. Been researching parts for the disc conv and I think I want to go with DIY4X's kit. Also looked at ORD's kit, but in comparision, ORD's is $150.00 and uses spacers. DIY4X's kit looks beefier, no spacers, and is only $65.00. Looking for any feedback here before I start ordering parts. Anybody used either company's setups? Any info on the adjustable prop valves would be great also. Always like to see pic's too! Still working on this 1 ton upgrade!
Attached Images

swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
AJs72K5

Re: 14 bolt corp rear axle disc brake conversion

The DIY4X and Ruffstuff brackets are probably the better ones in my opinion. It's definately a worthwhile upgrade and it sheds about 100lb from the axle. The one thing most struggle with after doing this conversion is what to do about a parking brake. There are several options: caddy calipers with integrated parking brake; HAD or Tom Woods driveline brake; or line locks.

As far as the adjustable prop valve goes, Summit has a good looking one that I know has been used with good success. It's probably your best bet as the off-the-shelf nonadjustable ones just don't take into account the types of mods we're doing here.

Hope that gets you started.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
swyfor5

Thank's, just as I thought. Really doesen't look all that hard to do. Anybody got pic's? My axles are 1984, so figured I'd buy components for same year. Any comments on that? That way I can make it simpler to order and get replacement parts. Also currently running stainless lines frt and back, and want to go that way with the swap.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
bigbadchev72
People know me

I did the swap on a buddys jimmy, he used the summit adjustable valve mentioned before, I have installed and also own the DIY brackets, but havent installed yet, They are BEEF though!

It is a really easy swap, are you going to use the chevette lines? My buddy installed the had parking brake and it works awesome, but you need to have a HAD shaft to use it.

Not sure if you are a member over at CK5, but there is alot of useful info over there as well on this topic, and tons of pics and writeups

Oh yeah and if your drums are still in good shape, then you might want to consider throwing them on craigslist, replacement drums are big $$$, I bought most of my disc swap stuff for the price of 1 replacement drum
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels

Last edited by bigbadchev72; 01-20-2010 at 11:33 PM.
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
swyfor5

Thank's BBC72. Info on the chevette lines? Also info on the HAD shaft setup for the p- brake? I know nothing about that. Used to be a member over at CK5, but I dropped it. Don't really know the condition of the drums yet, as I have not tore it down yet. Thank's for the info on that. Cool!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
bigbadchev72
People know me

First you are going to need to deceide what calipers you are going to run, 79 chevette are rubber hoses about a foot long with the 7/16" banjo bolt hole, 84 cavalier right side hoses use the 10mm hose.

You dont want to run a hard line to your calipers because they move and will eventually break a hard line. My buddy used the chevette lines and got a bracket from summit, just a small piece of metal that had a hole in it to mount the rubber line to the hard line.

http://www.highangledriveline.com/e_brake.html
My buddy is running this setup along with front and rear drivelines, I had to buy a rear driveline from them since I was getting some massive vibes, gotta love huge lift on short wheelbase!
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
cleszkie

Just finished my 14 bolt disk brake conversion. Used some brackets that a buddy bought on ebay (don't know the make). Went for the '78 Eldorado calipers with parking brake levers. Had to fab up some cable stop brackets for both ends of the parking brake cables (used the shorter cables that came with my 14 bolt), but was able to use all of the stock parking brake hardware from the Blazer. I got a four wheel disk brake proportioning valve from Inline Tube that bolts into the stock location at the master cylinder. I run a one ton master cylinder and a dual diaphragm booster. Brakes work awesome and parking brake works great. I have heard that some people have bad experiences with the Caddy parking brake, but if you set it up properly it works fine. I run 35" tires and the parking brake will hold on any steep incline.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
bigbadchev72
People know me

Ive heard alot of negative things about the caddy calipers, from even being able to find them, and also anything over a 33-35" tire you are constantly fooling around with them. Check out pirate4x4 as well there is alot of good tech on there regarding this swap.

What size tire are you planning on running? are you going to actually wheel it or mild trails? if you plan on really wheeling it, A line lock or even one for each wheel may suit you better.

Here is a picture of my buddys proportioning valve and his e-brake set-up, he used all the factory brackets and factory ebrake pedal, he cut the factory bracket and bolted it in place, that sucker holds tight! it will kill the motor if he tries to drive with it engaged, it cant power through it even in reverse. These are also the High Angle Driveline (HAD) driveshafts they are 1ton rated and pure beef, If you are running anything over 6" lift you are going to want a CV Shaft

Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
1tonblaze

I went with diy4x4 my self becuase they actually looked like a better product . sorry i havent gotten them pics for you sway been busy . i do have a pic what my set up looks like fully installed .
Attached Images

1985 c20 chevy long bed , beater , on its way to a better place in pa from what the dmv told me
2010 kia forte koup 2.4 sx -over the river and threw the woods to the total lot it went .
1999 k1500 suburban 350 vortec 4l60e leather land yacht .
1tonblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
swyfor5

Oh yea! Thank's BBC72! That link to HAD is what I needed. Really looks like the way to go here. Plan on rebuilding this rig for mostly mild to wild trail running, but want it to be capable to wheel hard when I want to. Not a big rock fan, but want to build it right this time around. Planning on 40" or so rubber, maybe a little bigger. Running a 8" superlift now, but things are about to change as the 1 ton upgrade happens.HAD's driveline brake setup looks good too! This project started as a daily driver way back and is about to go to stage 4! Thank's for all the info and pic's so far everybody!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
cleszkie

Problem with driveline brake is that the vehicle can still roll if one of the rear tires comes off the ground (unless you have a locked differential). Problem with a line lock is that it is not considered a legal parking brake system in many states. To be legal a parking brake must be separate from the hydraulic brake system of a vehicle. Not an issue if your truck is trail only and does not see inspections.

The caddy parking brakes are only a problem if they are not set up properly from the get go with good cable routing and a hand or foot lever that can provide the necessary leverage to fully engage the brakes. I set mine up with the stock foot pedal and linkage and it hold my truck on inclines just fine with 35" tires. I agree that larger tires may prevent them from holding as well though. Check out my install thread above.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
swyfor5

Thank's cleszkie! All good info.