The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
mrsmothers

Help me please!!!!!

My truck wont run any more I put a new 350 in it and put a q jet on it

1. day one
It started and ran on its own it did bog down when I put it in to gear but still it was alive.

2. day two It wont stay runnig unless u kept ur foot on the gas

3. day three today wont start, all it dose it spit gas out of the top of the carb

Do I need a new carb has new fliter in it, I put new one in on day 1 and 3 the one from day 1 was still clean but I changed it any way.
I have no clue what to do.

Last edited by mrsmothers; 01-23-2011 at 01:25 AM.
mrsmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
knsmodels
I make Models

Re: Help me please!!!!!

you need 2 things for it to run gas and spark.....since you say you can see gas coming thru the carb I would look at the spark....what kind of distributer are you running???

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
dan42

A "new " 350? from where? The Q-jet - was that new and from where? We need a lot more info on what you have in there and who did the work - but be patient, we should be able to help. Geaux Saints! (next year)
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
MVHandy

I think Knsmodels is on the right track, look closely at the timing. I had similar symptoms when I changed from points to HEI distributor. Not clear which you have but the positioning of the distributor is different. It is also not clear where the new 350 came from but it may be off if the cam is not in properly or the balancer, timing tab or anything else is out of whack.

Try to find top dead center on the #1 cylinder and set your distributor accordingly, then check it all out and adjust. If the problem persists it may be deeper but try the simple stuff first. Unless the carb is just dumping gas all ove it sounds like spark is the issue.
MVHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
mrsmothers

I had the motor rebuilt by ellis piston it has a hei dis. I dont think it is spark because it trys to start and I had it running. Its a rebuild carb but sat for a while The motor is from the 1980s so I dont think it ever ran points.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Slick67
Sofa King Crazy!!

Start with the basic plug#1 spark and trace all the way to hei. Gotta have atleast a #10 wire for fire on the hei.

My Blazer Build (New) - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=654650

My 67 Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335650

67 Chevy LWB big window a/c AKA TOTALLED BY A JACKASS.
1972 2wd Blazer "Porterbuilt and Sloshed"
Slick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

Double check your timing, make sure it is correct

Check your spark plugs, you may have fouled one or two

Make sure your fuel pressure is not too high

Make sure your needle and seats or floats are not stuck

Check the function of the choke make sure it is operating normally
Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
mrsmothers

Put a new holly 750 on it nothing wont even fire off I know I am getting spark what should I do next I had it runnig at one point but now nothing.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
70shortfleet

Has the engine had a compression test done on all cylinders and make sure it is wired correctly! Is this a new project or what?
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
mrsmothers

I started it late summer and it was in jail aka the shop for three months.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Zeke's Garage

It seems like you had about 4 different symptoms with the Q-Jet, but now you've got a total 'no start' problem with the Holley (BTW a 750 is probably too much for that engine... you'll probably have issues with it running rich just off idle)

But for starts... get a can of engine starting fluid (either) and spray a quick shot into the primaries and try to start it. If it kicks and fires for a second or two, you know that you've got compression, spark, and reasonably close timing.

If it doesn't kick over, double check your spark... it could be a bad ignition module in the HEI... Double check that you are getting 12v to the distributor, the original points wire may not have been swapped out and it's only getting 7~8 volts.

Also double check ALL vacuum ports and seal them off. For any testing, disconnect any vacuum lines and plug them until you can get the engine to run smoothly, then reconnect the vacuum advance, brake booster, transmission, PCV and whatever else.

So now take a look at your fuel system. Pull the fuel line off the carb and route it to a container of some sort and turn the engine over a few times... you should get some healthy squirts of fuel coming out of it. If not, pull the inlet line to the pump and see if any gas runs out. If it does, then you know it's the pump, If not, you've got a plugged line, bad pickup in the tank, a plugged vent line, or just no gas.

If you do have fuel pumping then you need to check the filter in your carb, then the needle and seat and float settings to make sure you are getting fuel to it. Are you getting any fuel squirting into the carb when you work the throttle? Maybe the accelerator pump is bad.

I know it's a lot to look at, but you just have to look at each part, test what you can and then continue to work backwards.

Good luck!

Shawn

Last edited by Zeke's Garage; 01-30-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: More stuff to check.
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #12
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke's Garage View Post
It seems like you had about 4 different symptoms with the Q-Jet, but now you've got a total 'no start' problem with the Holley (BTW a 750 is probably too much for that engine... you'll probably have issues with it running rich just off idle)

But for starts... get a can of engine starting fluid (either) and spray a quick shot into the primaries and try to start it. If it kicks and fires for a second or two, you know that you've got compression, spark, and reasonably close timing.

If it doesn't kick over, double check your spark... it could be a bad ignition module in the HEI... Double check that you are getting 12v to the distributor, the original points wire may not have been swapped out and it's only getting 7~8 volts.

Also double check ALL vacuum ports and seal them off. For any testing, disconnect any vacuum lines and plug them until you can get the engine to run smoothly, then reconnect the vacuum advance, brake booster, transmission, PCV and whatever else.

So now take a look at your fuel system. Pull the fuel line off the carb and route it to a container of some sort and turn the engine over a few times... you should get some healthy squirts of fuel coming out of it. If not, pull the inlet line to the pump and see if any gas runs out. If it does, then you know it's the pump, If not, you've got a plugged line, bad pickup in the tank, a plugged vent line, or just no gas.

If you do have fuel pumping then you need to check the filter in your carb, then the needle and seat and float settings to make sure you are getting fuel to it. Are you getting any fuel squirting into the carb when you work the throttle? Maybe the accelerator pump is bad.

I know it's a lot to look at, but you just have to look at each part, test what you can and then continue to work backwards.

Good luck!

Shawn
All good suggestions! Check all these and let us know if any help.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Zeke's Garage

Any updates on this? Did you get it running?
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
mrsmothers

It will be runnign next week I had to take it to the shop. The first shop that I took it to held it hostage for almost 2 months and charged me 1100 to do really bad work so I had to take it to another shop to fix what they messed up. The bolt for the dizzy wasent tighten down so my timeing moved and they wired my coil wrong. O and they hooked up vaccume lines to the wrong places. How it ever ran in the first place I will never know
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
mrsmothers

But good news once I get it back I get to update my build thread and put a bunch of pictures up.