The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Muellers69GMC

Want Advice on a Rebuild

I just registered for this board so you can check out my intro thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=343409 to get an idea of the truck.

As mentioned the truck has the original motor and transmission. The motor has over 133k miles on it. It still runs, but is definately tired. I want to rebuild it. The question is how original should I keep it. Should I do a completely stock type rebuild or disguise some performance in the stock block? If the later, what would you do? Don't really have a definitive budget for the rebuild so consider anything on the table as long as it involves using the stock block and heads.

No matter what I do to the motor the TH400 behind it hasn't been rebuilt that I know of. It still shifts strong and doesn't seem to slip. Should I keep it as is or look into it and refresh it?

Thanks in advance.
Muellers69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Want Advice on a Rebuild

Hi Muellers69GMC...

First.... to the boards from NC!!!! by the way, the link above doesn't work....try this one http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343409

I say take a look through the build threads and get some ideas....There are a TONS of really good builds going on that are REALLY GREAT and will give you some ideas of which way to go!!!!....No one is going to tell you how to rebuild your truck....ultimately, it's your truck...do it how you want it!!!...we all will give opinions, but you know what they say about that!!!...Projects IMO are NEVER finished....there's always something to do/ tweak/ change etc....especially when you look through a build and see something you like.....do your homework, put your ideas on paper (or in your head) and move forward....BUT keep us updated with PICTURES!!!....we love pics around here....

Okay, now for my opinion....I say take the pan off the tranny, and check to see if you have any metal filings...if so....rebuild it....
and for a budget....do what you can, if you are handy, buy used parts over in the parts section, clean'em up and install....most of all use this board for all your questions.....no question is a dumb question!!!....

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present

Last edited by gcburdic; 05-12-2009 at 08:14 AM.
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
cdowns

using stock heads some of the cheapest power you can get is by doing a home porting job.speedway motors and eastwood both have kits with grinding stones and books to explain the proper way to clean up the heads for better flow
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Muellers69GMC

Thanks guys,

I understand that it is ultimately up to me to decide what I'll do on the engine. Overall I think that I am going to try to keep the truck stock as far as appearance since the truck is all original and has been well taken care of.

What I don't know is what types of engine work is considered acceptable and what isn't when it comes to an original/stock vehicle.

Also, what gaskets, seals, bearings, etc. do you guys prefer on an engine rebuild?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellers69GMC View Post
Thanks guys,

I understand that it is ultimately up to me to decide what I'll do on the engine. Overall I think that I am going to try to keep the truck stock as far as appearance since the truck is all original and has been well taken care of.

What I don't know is what types of engine work is considered acceptable and what isn't when it comes to an original/stock vehicle.

Also, what gaskets, seals, bearings, etc. do you guys prefer on an engine rebuild?
What is acceptable is what you want to do with it.

If you're worried about retaining its stock value, build the engine you want out of a different block and put the factory original one on one of those little engine dollies and slide it under a bench in your garage.

Now my opinion on the engine:
What I would do is get a vortec 350 block out of a 95-99 truck. It is a full roller block and is, from the outside anyways, exactly what you have now. ALL your accessories will bolt right on it. Take that 350 to a good machine shop and have it cleaned up. Purchase a 383 stroker kit from Jegs or Summit or maybe even that machine shop and make a 383 out of the 350 block. The only thing you can't reuse is the intake manifold off of your old engine. Aftermarket suppliers make the correct intake for this application.

If you do that you'll have 33 more cubes AND you can still put in the original engine if you have/need to.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

Build a mild 383 stroker and you will smile everytime you put your foot to the FLOOR!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
bigsnookmaster

Yeah.what he said,.. and it will take a while to wipe that smile off you're face!Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
americanmusc1e

wheather you want to build it stock or not is your business, I'd go with some kind of high performance rebuild. its also a good idea to not use your original block if you think you might want to change back some day.

IF YOU BUILD IT HIGH PERFORMANCE, especially above 375-400 horsepower. your seemingly good th400 might suddenly decide to retire itself. a fresh th400 will take 400 horsepower all day long but a marginal one will not.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
mr48chev

A mild 383 using your stock block and heads would give a nice boost in performance and still appear to be "all original" on the outside.

One thing, If you do that make sure that the machine shop does not machine the deck on the block so that the original numbers stamped in the pad at the front of the passenger side of the block are machined off. If they go awaybl there is no way to tell that it is the "original matching number block" and it is just another 350. This is a HUGE deal with the all original matching numbers guys.

In the long run of things, there is only one person you have to please with the truck and that is you. If you want to keep it showroom stock right down to the proper chalk marks on the firewall, do so. If you want to have it "almost all original" with a few mild engine mods and maybe a set of custom wheels do that. If you feel it needs to be slammed on the ground and run 24 inch rims with rubber band tires and have the wheel wells hogged out and the frame cut to clear a drop to the ground, so be it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Muellers69GMC

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a natural tendency to want some performance out of the engine. I have a 97 Grand Prix GTP that nearly runs 12's.

This truck will, if I can help it, never leave the family so completely original is not necessarily what I am striving for, I just want to have the appearance of stock, but not necessarily stock. That said I like the idea of a 383 stroker....in fact the first three digits of my current license plate is 383 (funny huh?).

If I am going to build a 383 there are several several choices for kits to do this. Does anybody have experience with any of these kits for a mild 383. Some that I should stay away from, some that I should consider? It gets kinda dizzying when looking at all the choices.

On another note we finished pulling the engine today. I think I'll start a project thread once I get my pictures uploaded to the computer and keep everybody updated.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
bigsnookmaster

If you want to go fast and you use another block, a good running 406 will work real well also. No replacement for displacement!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Muellers69GMC

Thanks for all the thoughts on this... I have started this project and can't turn back now. I started an engine build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=344773.

Wish me luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
If you want to go fast and you use another block, a good running 406 will work real well also. No replacement for displacement!

Welcome and I agree with either a 383 or a 406!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
UltraBlue71

Its your ride dude do with it what you will, if others dont like it, piss on em!
You are from a good place, my lil bro lives in Columbia, but most importantly it is home of the finest college in the big 12, GO MIZZOU!!!!

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote