The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
1tuff71

hooker exhaust

Has anyone used Hooker's custom exhaust system that bolts right up to the headers. This is a pre-bent kit they sell and wonder if it really is a simple bolt and go as they claim.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
87Skier

Re: hooker exhaust

I believe we are talking about the same system here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...t/model/blazer

Let me start by saying that I used a set of full length of Summit racing headers on my 72 Jimmy along with some cheap turbo mufflers. I ran into a few problems.

The instructions indicate that the exhaust should be installed under the frame rails just outside the transfer case. This didn't work at all for me because the pipes wouldn't clear the rear cross member and I didn't like the thought of it being that visible and open to getting crushed. I ended up running it above the transfer case and beside it above the cross member. This required cutting and welding to get the angles right. From there back it fit great. The tolerances were tight and it just cleared the axle, gas tank skid plate and everything else.
Attached Images

87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
1tuff71

Re: hooker exhaust

thanks for the reply. I picked up that system and ran into the same problem. Sent it all back to Summit and decided to just go and see a guy in town that bends up a lot of hot rods. That was NOT a bolt on project.