The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
c20pickup

700r4 pan gasket

does anybody make a silicone gasket for the pan of my 700r4? Its leaking like a sieve right now (brand new pan, bran new gasket) looking for one similar to the pan gasket on my engine with the metal inserts. If this isnt available whats the next best gasket to use?
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: 700r4 pan gasket

I've never seen an OE gasket leak on a 700R4
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
c20pickup

I used the gasket i got with the new pan, it was a black rubber gasket
Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by c20pickup View Post
does anybody make a silicone gasket for the pan of my 700r4? Its leaking like a sieve right now (brand new pan, bran new gasket) looking for one similar to the pan gasket on my engine with the metal inserts. If this isnt available whats the next best gasket to use?
First scratch up around the bolt holes topside on the pan to create friction there to keep from splitting gaskets then after you do that pound those areas back down to flush or a little below. I call it "grip-tion"

Victor-Reinz tuff-cork with metal core. Spray copper-coat it and let dry before application. Let trans drain real, real, real good, don't get in a hurry, stuff some thick assembly gel into the servo drain hole if it won't stop dripping, wipe down the trans pan rails and oil pan with a CLEAN rag and brakleen before installing pan (be meticulous). Put the magnet back in and don't over-tighten the bolts. If your bolts have been over-tightened you might consider replacing them as the washers are a conical design and if smashed they are not longer effective. It's ready to go now. DO NOT use silicone anywhere on the trans pan.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...483&cc=1031285

Also, if you don't like messing with the pan (not my favorite past-time), flush out the torque converter by removing the upper cooler line at the trans, attach a rubber hose skillfully aimed at a drain pan, then pour 5 quarts of synthetic fluid into the empty pan, start the engine and let it pump out fluid until it starts spitting air then shut it down and re-install the trans line. Fill it up with more synthetic and you are good for 60-100,000 miles if the cooler is adequate for your application. An example of the good oil, you can get it at Walmart superstores.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G1769677/?utm_...BjkBoCb2zw_wcB
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I've never seen an OE gasket leak on a 700R4
They won't if applied properly. Once things have been over-tightened it gets dicey.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
cleszkie

On my TH350 pan, i have found that using a very small dab of teflon thread sealant on the bolt threads has stopped all leaking. ATF is very thin, especially when hot, and can work its way past bolt threads and become a leak. Yes, if you have a perfect gasket installation, the gasket should keep any ATF from reaching the bolts, but a perfect installation is not always easy, especially if the pan has some warps by the bolt holes. The teflon thread sealant adds that extra layer of protection against leaks.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
On my TH350 pan, i have found that using a very small dab of teflon thread sealant on the bolt threads has stopped all leaking. ATF is very thin, especially when hot, and can work its way past bolt threads and become a leak. Yes, if you have a perfect gasket installation, the gasket should keep any ATF from reaching the bolts, but a perfect installation is not always easy, especially if the pan has some warps by the bolt holes. The teflon thread sealant adds that extra layer of protection against leaks.
Oh yeah any bolts that go through the case to an oil source can and will probably leak and Teflon is the fix. Good catch.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
leftybass209

By brand-new pan you don't happen to mean a chromed stamped steel pan do you? The original pan, and aluminum pans are the best- any quality gasket regardless of material with proper bolt torque and tightening sequence= no leaks. I've used cork, and rubber with leak free results.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
c20pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
By brand-new pan you don't happen to mean a chromed stamped steel pan do you? The original pan, and aluminum pans are the best- any quality gasket regardless of material with proper bolt torque and tightening sequence= no leaks. I've used cork, and rubber with leak free results.
It was a brand new pan ordered from sunmit i received as a gift, cast aluminum with allen bolts and lock washer, i thought the black rubber gasket would have done a good job at sealing, but i like the idea of a cork gasket with copper spray and sealant on the threads
Old 04-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
c20pickup

Quote:
It was a brand new pan ordered from sunmit i received as a gift, cast aluminum with allen bolts and lock washer, i thought the black rubber gasket would have done a good job at sealing, but i like the idea of a cork gasket with copper spray and sealant on the threads

I forgot to mention, when i went to originally install my new pan, and use "factory torque specs" i stripped every single thread out of the aluminum, so i redrilled and heli coiled every single hole.. What torque rating did you guys use to seal your pan? If i remmeber right mine was 26 ftlbs or something like that
Old 04-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
clinebarger

Quote:
I forgot to mention, when i went to originally install my new pan, and use "factory torque specs" i stripped every single thread out of the aluminum, so i redrilled and heli coiled every single hole.. What torque rating did you guys use to seal your pan? If i remmeber right mine was 26 ftlbs or something like that
8-9 Ft Lbs is the spec, A GM gasket is the best.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
Chucks72Longbed

Are you sure it wasn't inch points? Those bolts are pretty small for 26 foot pounds.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
Chucks72Longbed

Inch pounds I meant to say.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
c20pickup

I thought 26 ftlbs was pretty steep for small bolts and aluminum threads. 9ftlbs is the correct spec though? Ill try that with a new gasket