The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
jim-bob

How to Check Power Seat.

Got a set of old bucket seats for my 67 GMC.. Cant remember what I was told that they came out of (big Olds; Buick; etc) but they will mount in by drilling new holes..Anyway the driver is power..Is there a way to check to see if it or any others operate before mounting, or buying for that matter? The movements should be forward; back; up/down at rear; up/down at front. The manual passenger seat works great.
There is a 2-wire female plug hanging loose..what should I hook this up to? Is there something portable I can take with me when I go look at power seats..No, I don't particularly want power seats but there sure are a lot of nice power seats out there at very reasonable prices..
I'm not much of a mechanic nor 'lectronic engineer so be kind..Thanks!
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: How to Check Power Seat.

You can use a small battery charger to test seat function BUT there are many things to consider just hook the + lead to the red or orange wire and ground lead to the seat track

1 )many older caddy /buick seats had "plastic" transmissions to move the seats via a flexible cable to the actuators they break very easy and you can't buy parts for them

2) seat width many seats are just too wide and you won't be able to close the doors

3) seat height car seats just aren't high enough using stock seat tracks

4) power most power seats run on an 30 amp fuse and heavier gauge wire

5) physical size of the seat may have you sitting on top of the steering wheel

There are more than a few aftermarket truck seat companies out there and when you consider the amount of your time to retro fit old seats and old ripped upholstery (WHICH IS EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE) when you can buy new and correct fitting seats the cost really isn't that unreasonable ! better yet take your stock seat down to your local auto upholstery shop and let them give you a price for what you need !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
jim-bob

..my original is a bench, I want buckets..I looked at most of the posts of the thread on "Bucket Seats" on here and most everyone installed used seats from later model trucks..I find only one brand new seat and that is ProCar Low Back Series 1400. May be too low back..Has anyone on here used these..Are there other Brand New seats I can use? I dnt't mind buying New.. (Thanks Grumpy, I will use your advise. The width and height of these seats will fit fine)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

If you really want buckets that will look Factory and fit perfectly do what I do find another bench seat that matches yours and build you own by cutting the center secion out and rewelding them to make "factory" bucket seats that fit -use the factory seat tracks and and have the correct ride height any auto upholstery shop can build them for you and recover them anyway you want .

http://

Old 06-10-2015, 12:57 AM   #5
Custom/Ten

Thumbs up Re: How to Check Power Seat.

I like grumpys idea! Never heard that one.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
If you really want buckets that will look Factory and fit perfectly do what I do find another bench seat that matches yours and build you own by cutting the center secion out and rewelding them to make "factory" bucket seats that fit -use the factory seat tracks and and have the correct ride height any auto upholstery shop can build them for you and recover them anyway you want .

...Now that is something i've never seen..What a great Idea..So you measure how wide you want one seat then take half of that and that will be how much you leave on one end? OR something like that? LOL
Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

You have to remove all the seat material and padding then bolt the seat frame back in the truck . Then you make a center mark down the center of your steering wheel top to bottom and continue that line down to your seat frame and mark it for a cut line and use that same measurement on the other side and remove the center section and re weld the 2 ends .You can't just cut anywhere because you want the seat to be centered on the steering wheel when your done or you'll be sitting off center and that's really annoying when driving your truck . it's all only metal until you drive it down the road ,Then it's a truck