The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Ekliptix

'72 column help, request won't shift to reverse or park

Hi,

The white plastic gear indicator on my column (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps14a4e666.jpg) recently broke off while shifting into park from drive. Since then, I've been driving it normally but yesterday I was unable to shift past neutral, into reverse or park.

I suspect the white plastic shaft that indicates which gear I'm in has fallen down into the column somewhere and is blocking something from shifting into reverse or neutral. Does this sound likely?

I was about to go rent a steering wheel puller to take it apart, but thought I'd check here if this has happened to anyone else. And input on where I may buy some column replacement parts.

Thanks for the help!

Graham
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: '72 column help, request won't shift to reverse or park

If I remember right there is no hole down into the column.
As far as renting a puller they loan those free at O'reilly's and some other auto parts stores as well.
You can get all the column restoration parts you need at LMC Truck and Classic Industries.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Ekliptix

Thanks for the info. Puller and LMC parts on the way.
Looks like it's called the indicator pointer (11) that broke http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=142. I hope it falling out of position is the cause of not being able to put it in R or P.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
70shortfleet

Not likely the cause of the problem. Check to see if the arm going to the trans has not slipped. There is a nut that holds it tight to the shaft at the bottom of the column. You are pulling back on the shift lever when trying to put it into reverse/park right?
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
Not likely the cause of the problem. Check to see if the arm going to the trans has not slipped. There is a nut that holds it tight to the shaft at the bottom of the column. You are pulling back on the shift lever when trying to put it into reverse/park right?
Thanks for the idea. I just checked and the linkage/bar from the column in the engine bay to the trans seems to be solid. I can move the linkage/bar by hand under the hood for all gears by R/P.

Yes, I am pulling the shift lever towards me when trying to put it in R/P. Now you have me thinking that pulling action is not working normally. Any other ideas are welcome. I'll call LMC tomorrow and get their input too. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
CCCC

At times, this same "no lift/no shift" issue has been caused by hardening of the grease down in the mechanism. This may be why your indicator broke off. I have squirted a bit of penetrant down/up the shaft - worked it gently a few times - end of problem. May not be your cause, but maybe worth a try.
67 Sting Ray Coupe 327 4sp; 68 K10 Suburban 327 4sp; 69 K20 Lifted 383 4sp; 69 C80 Fire Truck 478 V6 5sp/2sp; 69 C20 Longhorn 327 4sp; 70 C30 Wrecker 350 4sp; 70 C30 Flat Bed 350 4sp; 71 C20 LWB 350 4sp; 72 K5 Blazer 350 4sp; 72 C30 Flat Bed Gooseneck Hauler with sleeper 350/TH400; 72 C20 Longhorn 402 4sp; 52 Mack LTL Supercharged Cummins 5sp x 3sp; 01 Dodge 5.9 HO Cummins 6spd; 02 Safari Trek 2430 8.1 Vortec on Workhorse Chassis; 03 Silverado 2500 HD 4wd Duramax/Allison
Moved but still in the family
70 C20 Custom Camper 350/TH350; 72 K5 Blazer CST Highlander 350/TH350
Recently sent to new homes
72 C30 MoHome 402 4sp; 72 K5 Blazer Conv 350 4sp; 75 GMC 6000 Aerial 350 w Allison; 72 GMC 3500 Utility 350 4sp; 70 GMC 3500, 350 4sp
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Xeen

Disconnect the linkage from the column and then see if the column will shift into reverse and park, if it will then try moving the gear selection lever down on the transmission to make sure it goes into all gears properly.
You need to do a proper process of elimination here to figure out the source of the problem.

Last edited by Xeen; 09-16-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Ekliptix

I disconnected the linkage under the hood. The transmission shifts find in all gears when not connected to the column, so it's def in the column. With the shift lever still installed, the shift column rotated freely but still won't go into R or P.

I got some of the column apart, but am stuck at this point, below. How do I get past this to what's inside the shift leaver housing? Do I use the steering wheel puller to pull the large inner part out around the bearing?

I thought the turn signal housing may be slipped on, so I got a jaw puller but it does not grab the small inner lip in the signal housing.

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
71swb4x4

It's been 12 years since I have pulled a tilt column apart, but IIRC the next step is to remove that outer housing. I think I removed mine with a rubber mallet by tapping around it in an outward direction. It took a while to remove it. I think that gives you access to the pins that are holding that piece that you are trying to get off.

Edit: this should help http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329008
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
It's been 12 years since I have pulled a tilt column apart, but IIRC the next step is to remove that outer housing. I think I removed mine with a rubber mallet by tapping around it in an outward direction. It took a while to remove it. I think that gives you access to the pins that are holding that piece that you are trying to get off.

Edit: this should help http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=329008
Thanks for the input. I spent the last 15 min with a rubber mallet trying that. It sounds like a good idea but it didn't appear to budge even a little. It's on really tight and I don't believe there are any pins or screws holding it. I'm hesitant to be more aggressive with I for fear of damaging the finish.

Thanks for that link too. I'd seen some of the photos in it, including post #7 (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...90&postcount=7) which led me the buy the jaw gear puller which doesn't grab the signal housing inner lip.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
Ekliptix

Some progress.

I managed to get the signal cover off with an adjustable wrench and 1/4" thick piece of rubber I had laying around, with the help of a hammer to tap on the wrench.

I can now see that the white plastic gear indicator is preventing the shifter housing from rotating into Reverse. I managed to find another thread where another fellow had the same issue. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&postcount=28

I have 2 options now:
Easy option: Get a very thin screw, screw it into the small hole seen in the white plastic gear indicator, pull the gear indicator out allowing (hopefully) the full range back for the shifter housing. I'm not clear if or how the gear indicator moves in it's square housing but I'll worry about that later, or
Hard option: remove the nut + associated parts on the steering shaft, then the pivot pins on the sides to then remove the bearing housing. The goal of this will be to access the inside of the shifter housing and remove the broken gear indicator that way (plus any potential debris from it breaking).
Old 10-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #12
JohnHavla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
At times, this same "no lift/no shift" issue has been caused by hardening of the grease down in the mechanism. This may be why your indicator broke off. I have squirted a bit of penetrant down/up the shaft - worked it gently a few times - end of problem. May not be your cause, but maybe worth a try.
I did the same thing this weekend (I used Tri-Flow) on my newly acquired 72 K20. I went from a truck with what I thought was a blown TH400 to one that drove fine. I figured old grease and 8 years of accumulated dirt from sitting without being driven. A 30 second fix!

A cheap fix and again, worth a try.

jh
JohnHavla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
70shortfleet

Take a long thin screw and scew it into that hole that is in the broken off pointer and see if you can slide it out. The pointer slides in and out of that shaft. When you use the tilt action of the column the pointer moves in and out with each position of the tilt. Maybe squirt a little WD40 into the shaft before you try and remove the broken pointer
Old 10-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
Ekliptix

I couldn't find a screw thin enough so I cut a threaded eyelet used for crafts and glued it to a drill bit. Sure enough, it worked and my column in now free again to move among all the gears.

Next step: order the $10 replacement indicator on LMC.

Question: Can I reassemble the column and slip the gear indicator in after? I don't have a photo of the replacement gear indicator to see if it needs to go in right now before I reassemble the column.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #15
70shortfleet

Yes, you can reassemble and put the pointer and gear shift indicator housing on last
Old 09-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Bringing this back to the top because I just had the same problem. I removed mine by Super Gluing a new spray can straw to the piece left in the shift collar and pulling it out. (if you use an old straw you will have to clean any oil off of it) It was most of the way out when the straw pulled off. So I used one of my small lock pick tools to finish pulling it out. You could substitute a cut off, fine tooth scroll saw or coping saw blade for the picks, just cut and grind it off to look like the lock picks in the picture.

Just another idea, depending on what removal items you have on hand. Like the suggestion above, it saves partially disassembling the column, which is a pain in the butt.....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote