The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #26
michael bustamante

Re: Is this ultra rare or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
I'm definitely in the "or what" category. These topics come up often. Everyone wants the truck in their garage to be a rare bird. The truck may not be rare and highly valuable, but it can be special to you, and that's what really matters. You'll never stumble upon the mythical Yenko or SS model C10 that never existed. The most rare versions of these trucks you'll most likely find will be low mileage examples.
What?? ive got two Yenko 67 short fleet farm trucks sittin in my field right now!
haha!!!!
but ill tell you what, id love to have the engine you have. oh......and we still need pics
Old 06-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #27
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Post some pics but what has been said is correct. A '67 3/4T with 327 isn't rare nor high in value. I've had them all like many members here, 327, 350, 396/402 trucks and most these trucks are still a dime a dozen especially here in the pacific northwest. Now a true "#'s matching" original high optioned 402/swb/2wd is a rare truck & worth money in original configuration and condition.

Build what you want and don't worry about rarity. Just remember what you spend on the truck you most likely wont get back out of it so build it because you love the classics not to make money lol Your build plan looks good.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #28
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

To the PO... Why does this suck? Sounds like you have a good foundation to build on with the truck. Plus it has some cool family history. Which should mean something to you. Who cares what all of us think. If you're wanting some rare gem you will need to look other than trucks. Don't get all hung up on the rarity of a vehicle. Make it what you want.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #29
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymaster461 View Post
Ok so I get the options make it one of a kind (like every other truck order witch seems to be a lot) the motor was rebuilt once that's how I know it's 4 bolt main LJ I'm basically 2nd owner my great uncle bought it in 68 used ( don't be fooled tho it was used cause it was driven as a advertisement by dealer ship then no longer need after next model came out ) if the 67 350 4 bolt main an LJ an shares block couldn't they have used one for there 327 for the dealership special?
There is no such thing as a factory 327 4-bolt main. You can build one out a large journal block, but none were ever made factory. You will not find a single instance of anybody that can prove there ever was one. Lots of "I heard they did......" but no real evidence. There are pages on Google about this and not one of them I've seen can show any documentation that they exist.

According to your other thread (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263478 ) you have a 3892657 casting block. See http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html. Mortec says the same things. This is a 1967 only block that was SJ for 327 and 302 but '67 Camaros with 350s got the same 4" bore block with the saddles machined for a LJ crankshaft (http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143669).

There is no such thing- period end paragraph- as a factory '67 SJ 327 (or factory '67 350) with 4-bolt mains. 4-bolt mains started in '69 so small journal blocks would not ever have had them. It is possible for a machine shop add the caps to make one it a 4-bolt but who would do that for a stock pickup truck engine? It doesn't matter what dealer ordered it, not even Don Yenko could get this as an COPO option in 1967. You can believe what you want to believe, but I believe your late relative told everybody it was a 4-bolt and so the legend began. The machine shop may have told him that.-who knows Have you actually seen the bottom end? If it was a '67 factory 4-bolt 327 then you truly have a 1 of 1 and should get that frame back and do a full restore.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #30
Chevymaster461

Smile Re: Is this ultra rare or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
To the PO... Why does this suck? Sounds like you have a good foundation to build on with the truck. Plus it has some cool family history. Which should mean something to you. Who cares what all of us think. If you're wanting some rare gem you will need to look other than trucks. Don't get all hung up on the rarity of a vehicle. Make it what you want.

Gary
Thanks for the input it something I really needed to hear something positive lol
I'll post build thread and more detail on build .... Even if it was uber rare (because of motor ... Come on hatters keep hating on my motor) I will be building my dream truck 4x4 as I have a kinda one of a kind idea for it...(one day when I was 16 and got home from driving side ways lol I told my rusty ... Really rusty c20 that I would restore it to make it happy lol it was my first truck/car it's what I learned to drift in ... I just never knew what I wanted to do cause of so many options to choose from ... So with that said the time went by now several years gone by I got in to 4x4ing an wanted to save as much of the original truck I promised to restore not only for me but it was the first truck my 2 girls (golden lab sisters same litter ( so Dna number matching) ) rode in an toke them to the beach in so it means a lot to them when I removed the cab off the chassis they where upset an deviated looks on there faces ... Plus all through school I always got bullied an cause of that I never got good grades so when I toke a test in school an got 100% my uncle who bought it in 68 that I was buying it from for $500 gave it to me as a present for my good grade an hard effort so it has a lot of sentimental value (so even if It was uber rare I would have probably kept it an not sold not even for a million) so then I started looking in to k frame swap to build a beater 4x4 with heavy duty running gear and so I picked up a 69 k20 frame , decent bed (a lil dented but not rusted like my 67 bed was from dogs) leaf springs, front Dana 44 CK ,gm 14 bolt that was mostly parted but it had title and got it for $75 yes $75 not $750 (as the 14 bolt alone goes for $350 in my area) so boom I had my base platform and most of every thing I needed to start but then it sat for a while cause serious depression hit then I got better did some work and boom depression hit again then it cleared up then I broke my hand (current ) so my therapy project is just sitting but it's gave me the idea that I have now witch is ..( ever herd of a Toyota TRD if so in 2015 they started making there TRD PRO series witch for those who don't know is a more capable off road package) so the idea sparked in my head of what if in 67-72 Chevy made a CST PRO (K series CST that's factory looking and is a very capable off road rig ) so I'm using the best of the off-road parts from 67-72 used on Chevys to put together a kool package all the way down to a custom factory looking spid with my options on it .. So I think my truck we'll be very happy when done ... I'll post build thread link soon on what I have

Lol I can write a freaken Novel on this page this just chapter one
Pieced 67/69 k20
My BUILD 67 K20 ( CST PRO )
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7220313
Chevymaster461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #31
michael bustamante

dont let a broken hand get you down. im building a 67 short stepper ol school hot rod truck and ive had a broke ankle since feburary. found out now its going to have to get fused but that doesnt stop me from doing al the little things on my truck till i can lift and put weight on my ankle again.
so keep us updated on the 4by build
Old 06-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #32

I think your plans for the 4x4 67 CST sound great! Taking one of these truck and customizing really does make it your own and unique. You'll enjoy it so much more too! Good luck and I think we all look forward to the build thread
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #33
Chevymaster461

Smile Re: Is this ultra rare or what?

I have a lot of back tracking posting to do for this project ... An there's some pics I had that I might not have any more ..
But here's the build link
Pieced 67/69 k20
Old 06-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #34
davepl

About the only trucks that are "rare" and "desirable" would be half-ton, big block, AC, bucket seat, speed warning and tach trucks. Or the same but small block 4x4. Those will push $50K with a Pebble Beach restoration, $35K with a normal frameoff. Of course that costs way more than that to do it just in parts alone.

Volkwagon window vans are worth a lot of money. Our trucks just aren't, because they built literally millions of them.

Doesn't mean it's not desirable to -you- or any of us, just not to regular people :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #35
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I rarely poop my pants... but when I do... It's usually not desirable.

Someone on this forum has that as their sig line... Don't remember who.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #36
Chevymaster461

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I rarely poop my pants... but when I do... It's usually not desirable.

Someone on this forum has that as their sig line... Don't remember who.

Gary
Lmfao
Hey I'm from Washington to
What rig you got ...

To regards of this form it's basically all said an done to any one that reads it ... Like I've said chassis been scrapped so on to finishing my K20 CST PRO project can be followed in link below ... To the nay Sayers of my mystical unicorn motor I have this to say when I tear down my factory 327 4 bolt main LJ get plenty of pics an ill be doing this while you hear this because I got into the ring like this ....
So engines have horsepower
Mustangs got ponys
My motor got unicorns
I'm still
Pieced 67/69 k20
Old 06-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #37
Chevymaster461

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
There is no such thing as a factory 327 4-bolt main. You can build one out a large journal block, but none were ever made factory. You will not find a single instance of anybody that can prove there ever was one. Lots of "I heard they did......" but no real evidence. There are pages on Google about this and not one of them I've seen can show any documentation that they exist.

According to your other thread (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263478 ) you have a 3892657 casting block. See http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html. Mortec says the same things. This is a 1967 only block that was SJ for 327 and 302 but '67 Camaros with 350s got the same 4" bore block with the saddles machined for a LJ crankshaft (http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143669).

There is no such thing- period end paragraph- as a factory '67 SJ 327 (or factory '67 350) with 4-bolt mains. 4-bolt mains started in '69 so small journal blocks would not ever have had them. It is possible for a machine shop add the caps to make one it a 4-bolt but who would do that for a stock pickup truck engine? It doesn't matter what dealer ordered it, not even Don Yenko could get this as an COPO option in 1967. You can believe what you want to believe, but I believe your late relative told everybody it was a 4-bolt and so the legend began. The machine shop may have told him that.-who knows Have you actually seen the bottom end? If it was a '67 factory 4-bolt 327 then you truly have a 1 of 1 and should get that frame back and do a full restore.
You know I think I might be able to find pics of the motor when it got it first rebuild that shows its 4 bolt ... And I'll have pics when I tear it down for 2nd rebuild
Pieced 67/69 k20
Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

So '68 Z/28s and SS350 Camaros have 2-bolt mains?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 AM   #39
beautimus

I wouldn't want to detract from your motor. The 4 bolt block is a really desirable thing. But, there were no 4bolt 327's. here is something that you might wish to consider. the 327 and the 350 share a 4 inch bore size. main and rod journal sizes are also the same. the only difference you will find on the internals are the pistons and the crankshaft stroke length.

so if I believed that my 350 was a 327. and I bought parts to rebuild it, all of the 327 stuff would work with no problems. If I were doing a stock rebuild, (no crank regrinding or cylinder reboring) I could do a total rebuild and never be the wiser. Now if I had to have that block bored, and I bought new pistons for a 327, then I would have problems because they would not be tall enough to work properly.
also I built a 4bolt main 327 for a buddies 69 Camaro. he had a damaged block, so we put 327 internals(crank , rods, and pistons) into a 4bolt 350 block.

if you have been told that yours is definitely a 327, then there may have been something done like that to yours as well.
if you do a rebuild, have the stroke measured at that time, that will tell you what you have on the inside.
also check the numbers that are stamped onto the block deck surface , just in front of the right cylinder head. the 2 or 3 letters at the end of the serial number will tell you what the block is. then you can say for sure and prove what the block is , just for your own satisfaction. No matter which you have,
best of luck to you and enjoy your truck.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #40
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
So '68 Z/28s and SS350 Camaros have 2-bolt mains?
Correct

http://www.holisticpage.com/camaro/camaros/302.htm

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/faq/chev...o-faq-Z28.shtm

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164584

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/buil...evy-57753.html

etc.

There were no factory built cars with 4-bolt mains until 1969. No Corvettes, Z28s, or SS350 Camaros. If there were some blocks cast in '68, I believe they were for '69 model year vehicles.

http://www.ncrs.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-85289.html
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 06-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Correct

There were no factory built cars with 4-bolt mains until 1969. No Corvettes, Z28s, or SS350 Camaros. If there were some blocks cast in '68, I believe they were for '69 model year vehicles.
Ok, I didn't know that. I do know that my '68 truck 327 is the same block as those two. So, this settles many debates over 4-bolt vs 2-bolt. It all depends. You can actually have a better 2-bolt block than most 4-bolts. These are high nickle and very desirable for performance builds. Mine was done in '07 and I forgot whether it was 2 or 4-bolt. Guess I remembered wrong. I can sort of remember seeing it was a 2-bolt now that we're talking about it. So, relatively speaking, these '68 large journal small blocks are fairly rare being one year only and 47 years old, last 327,first 350s, and the elusive 302. Rare and desirable

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #42
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Ok, I didn't know that. I do know that my '68 truck 327 is the same block as those two. So, this settles many debates over 4-bolt vs 2-bolt. It all depends. You can actually have a better 2-bolt block than most 4-bolts. These are high nickle and very desirable for performance builds.
Correct. The whole "2 bolt main vs 4 bolt main" discussion is moot.

In the truck world "Heavy duty" does not equal "high performance"; it would be better translated "higher durability" (typically coupled with lower compression ratios, for example).

In any case I have never seen a Chevy small block crank laying in the road (or on the race track) because it broke the main caps.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #43
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
You'll never stumble upon the mythical Yenko or SS model C10 that never existed.
I'm pretty sure my Blazer was the rare Ferrari option. It had Pirelli tires on it when I bought it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #44
MARKDTN

Quote:
Ok, I didn't know that. I do know that my '68 truck 327 is the same block as those two. So, this settles many debates over 4-bolt vs 2-bolt. It all depends. You can actually have a better 2-bolt block than most 4-bolts. These are high nickle and very desirable for performance builds. Mine was done in '07 and I forgot whether it was 2 or 4-bolt. Guess I remembered wrong. I can sort of remember seeing it was a 2-bolt now that we're talking about it. So, relatively speaking, these '68 large journal small blocks are fairly rare being one year only and 47 years old, last 327,first 350s, and the elusive 302. Rare and desirable
I had not keyed in that there were no 4 bolts in '68 until yesterday. I had always assumed that the Z28s and SS350s in '68 got them. I knew that the '68 Corvettes did not. So that makes it even less likely that a 327 ever had 4-bolt mains because in '69 the only application for 327 was Camaros and B-bodies-and it was a more base engine as both had 350 performance engines available. By 1970 the 327 was gone and the 307 and 350 was it.

Some LJ blocks cross over boundaries. For example, the 3956618 blocks were a 2-bolt for 68-69 327, a 4 bolt for 69 Z28, and 2 or 4 for 69 350. the famous 3970010 (and 3932386) is similar, but has no 68 applications. The raw casting had enough meat in the right places to machine it with either style cap.

So, back to the OP. No SJ block ever had 4-bolt mains. No documented 4-bolt LJ 327s were built. I could see a possibility in '69 with 0010 or 2386 block, but with all my searching I have yet to find anybody that can prove they have a legit one. And as we know, you could never prove it in a truck even if it did happen because the VIN derivative is not on the engine pad.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 06-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #45
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Mark that's some awesome research! I appreciate you posting that for my own future reference. I have always heard that the 4 bolt 327's were a myth but this as best as possible seems to prove it.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #46
Chevymaster461

Exclamation Re: Is this ultra rare or what?

Guys I get home Monday ... I'll take pictures of every part of that motor .. All ready arranged help for Monday to get the oil drained , tranny unbolted, engine hoist setup an put motor on engine stand the I'll be taking pics of casting number , serial number an the dunna na na I'll remove the the pan an snap pics an post them up you guys watching this thread will be the first to see a 1 of a kind uber rare unicorn motor the mysterious factory 327 4 bolt from 67 ... Then after that this will be settled once an for all
Pieced 67/69 k20
Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #47
TheCougarine

It'll be cool to see your engine and all but I think if you are trying convince anyone here that it came from the factory that way, you are going to be wasting your time.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #48
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymaster461 View Post
Guys I get home Monday ... I'll take pictures of every part of that motor .. All ready arranged help for Monday to get the oil drained , tranny unbolted, engine hoist setup an put motor on engine stand the I'll be taking pics of casting number , serial number an the dunna na na I'll remove the the pan an snap pics an post them up you guys watching this thread will be the first to see a 1 of a kind uber rare unicorn motor the mysterious factory 327 4 bolt from 67 ... Then after that this will be settled once an for all
Be sure to get the casting number off of the crankshaft while you are there. It will be helpful to know if this is a SJ or LJ machining of this block.

Even if your engine does it won't settle anything. There are 2 issues:
1)it cannot be proven that it is original to the truck because the VIN derivative is not stamped on the engine pad for these trucks. Is there a VIN on the pad? If so, it is not a truck engine. Is there an engine code stamped there or is it blank (decked block)?
2) You have a 3892657 casting block. None of the sources list this as available as a 4-bolt block. Unless it started life in a '67 350 Camaro then it is a small journal. There was never ever a factory 4-bolt small journal block. IF they are there then the machine shop that rebuilt it did it. Nobody out there has ever claimed to have a factory '67 SJ 4-bolt. You will find that 4-bolt mains began in 1969.

I'm done. I will wait for photos.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #49
52napco

There is no such thing as a 4 bolt 327. Large journal yes 4 bolt did not come along till 1969 with the 302 -350
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #50
special-K
Special Order

My '68 truck 327 is an 010 block. According to NastyZ28.com casting numbers don't tell chit.

As far as the statement someone made about only SWB Cheyenne Super BBCs being rare and desirable goes, that is very incorrect. And it doesn't have to be the whole herd of followers wanting something to make it desirable. I wonder ramble off a dozen example here, but the fact is there are many highly desirable configurations or combinations of options that are desired by enough. It only takes a handful of people who know there stuff to bid a vehicle up. There's desirable and there's popular. Popular has to do with people wanting what they see the guy next to them wanting. Desirable takes the more educated and knowledgeable. Those are the ones who set the trends by being ahead of the curve so the followers can discover later

Tim