The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
dag19

Rear leaf spring lowering options, ideas?

So there I was...lowering the front end of my pickup by a supposed 2" via a set of drop spindles with disc brakes. All went well on the installation. Measured it afterwards and I am pretty sure I got set of spindles that dropped that hummer by about 5 inches! So after looking at it I was satisfied with the look but needed to do something with the rearend.

The rearend has leaf springs. I put a 3" drop shackle on there and it still has a nasty rake. So now I want to go back and either put a set of lowering leaf springs on or put in some air bags. Which is the most economical, best ride, and easiest to do?
dag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
steves1967

Re: Rear leaf spring lowering options, ideas?

In another post somebody mentioned being able to move the spring under the axel, have you tried that?
'19 Chevy CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
keanevann

Yea what he said!!!! I have a 71 GMC that has rear leafs... I went down to the local off-road shop and bought a set of axle saddles and welded them on the opposite side of the axle. Then you just put the axle on the opposite side of the springs. I dont know how much drop it gave me exactly but i'd say 4 inches at least....maybe more....

Here a pic of a "flip kit"
http://www.sportruck.com/howto/slam/saddle.jpg

I know ive seen them for sale for our year trucks but they're expensive..... I think it cost me 20 bucks to buy my own saddles and weld them on....

Hope that helps
keanevann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

If your not concerned with payload then you can just pull a few leaves out of the pack, it will make it ride smoother too. I pulled 4 out on mine (3/4 ton) and that dropped it about 4".
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
dag19

I have not tried to put the springs underneath the axle as I was concerned about the shock travel or lack thereof. But you are correct, I have heard of people doing that. The flip kit look easy enough to do. It is definitely cheaper than buying a set of 3" drop leafs from CPP.

I have 5 leafs in there right now. If I were to take out the bottom two they have a thickness of 1"...would that drop the bed 1" or would it be a bit more? Right now between the top of the tire to the fender well the front measures 3" and the back is 6.5". I would still like the raked look but just not to this extreme.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag19 View Post
I have 5 leafs in there right now. If I were to take out the bottom two they have a thickness of 1"...would that drop the bed 1" or would it be a bit more?
It would be more because not only do you lose the thickness of the leaves you take out, you also loose the rigidity that they give the springpack. This is good in that it gives you more drop and a smoother ride, but bad in that it decreases payload capacity (If you haul with it that is).
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 08-31-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
dag19

Ok sure, that makes sense to me. That sounds just about right to me. I don't need a whole lot since I have the drop shackles already so I think I will give that a shot. And no I don't haul anything in the bed of the pickup or behind it. I have an oak bed that is pretty sharp (if I must say so myself ) and also a roll pan in the back. I took off my hitch when I installed the gas tank in the rear of my pickup. It is basically a show model nowadays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacfourteen View Post
It would be more because not only do you lose the thickness of the leaves you take out, you also loose the rigidity that they give the springpack. This is good in that it gives you more drop and a smoother ride, but bad in that it decreases payload capacity (If you haul with it that is).
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
ivanuf2

Unhappy Re: Rear leaf spring lowering options, ideas?

Any guidance on the leaf removal. Any specific ones to remove or more important any specific leaf that needs to stay. My guess will be to remove the ones form the middle and leave the ones at the ends of the pack, but I do not know for sure. Let's say we want a 4" drop on a 1/2 ton truck with leaf, how many a witch ones I need to remove?
ivanuf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
gsxrdoug
1970 C10 six

I'm liking this tread! I don't know but I'm thinking the ones in the middle would be the best to remove.
gsxrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
dag19

My initial thoughts on removing leafs were to remove the bottom two, the ones closest to the axle. The very bottom leaf is a "helper" if you will and doesn't do a whole lot until you get a load on it. Then the second from the bottom is just the bottom of the pack. The two above that seem like they would be more rigid and need to stick together for fitment. And the very top you can't remove obviously due to being able to mount the rest of the pack to the frame.

So if your pickup has a set of 5 springs, like mine, then above is what I am going to do with mine. I can let you know how it works out after I do it. Bad thing is...it may be awhile before I get to it.

Last edited by dag19; 08-31-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
gsxrdoug
1970 C10 six

Sounds like a plan to me!

Quote:
My initial thoughts on removing leafs were to remove the bottom two, the ones closest to the axle. The very bottom leaf is a "helper" if you will and doesn't do a whole lot until you get a load on it. Then the second from the bottom is just the bottom of the pack. The two above that seem like they would be more rigid and need to stick together for fitment. And the very top you can't remove obviously due to being able to mount the rest of the pack to the frame.

So if your pickup has a set of 5 springs, like mine, then above is what I am going to do with mine. I can let you know how it works out after I do it. Bad thing is...it may be awhile before I get to it.
gsxrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
C low

leave the helper or you will get spring wrap and possibly brake a spring.. no good just remove every other one keep two long ones and the helper
C low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
dag19

So keep 3 total springs then? It seems to me the arch on the helper won't really match the springs above it. Does it need to or will the weight of the pickup de-arch the springs enough that it will come close to matching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C low View Post
leave the helper or you will get spring wrap and possibly brake a spring.. no good just remove every other one keep two long ones and the helper
Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
made2drag

i have a 67 gmc with leaf springs. i did a flip kit and removed all but 1 long one and a helper on each side. this gave me a drop where i needed to put in a notch. did the cpp notch and now my axle is 1/4 from touching the inside of notch. (as far as it can go)

in other words....the main leaf will be left, one center leaf and the fat,flat short one.

if you dont want to do a flip....just take all the leafs out but one center and the fat,flat short one. the leafs directly below the main one (that mounts to frame) make the most effect. i would do one side then the other. you can tell how it will sit once you do one side. if you already have 3 inches in shackles, i would at least pull 3 from each side to maybe give you 6 inches in all. also, you can do a flip and add a 1,2 or 3 inch lowering block the adjust it from there.

as for the shape of the leaf springs, yes as the springs flatten from weight they become more like the helper. dont worry, ive done 2 mazdas, 3 nissans, a s10 blazer and my c10 its pretty straight forward.

if you use a flip, cut some of the bottom of the u bolts off. so they dont drag on the ground. dont over tighten your bolts/bushings. retighten after driving it a couple weeks. use locktite. spray primer on the u bolts so they wont rust. make sure your pinion angle looks ok. get some short shocks. you can even use the same kind that the front uses.

peace
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
made2drag

i seems like i had more than 5 leafs all together. if you only have 5, then take the 2 out right below the main one that is attached to the frame. i am guessing between a 2 to 2 1/2 drop if those are removed. it would be cool if you could post a before and after for anyone who may be wondering the same thing. dont worry about when you post it, someone will appreciate it!
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #16
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Here is when I did mine, too bad its a 3/4 ton so it won't do you much good for comparison. leaf spring lowering writeup.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 AM   #17
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Forgive me, for I didn't read through this entire thread, but I'm all about helping a fellow leaf-springer out. If you click on my link for the 72 down there in my sig, it has a couple of pics of how low a flip will get you. Good luck!

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #18
dag19

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
i seems like i had more than 5 leafs all together. if you only have 5, then take the 2 out right below the main one that is attached to the frame. i am guessing between a 2 to 2 1/2 drop if those are removed. it would be cool if you could post a before and after for anyone who may be wondering the same thing. dont worry about when you post it, someone will appreciate it!
You said a C10 correct? It wasn't a C20 per chance if you had more leafs than that, was it? Just wondering is all, mine may have already had some taken out but not since I have had it over the past 12 years!

All of your info you provided was helpful. I will have to check it out after I take those two out. I am sure the 2" will be just about right. As for the pictures, I will be sure to take some and post them on this thread. Hopefully it will help other people out as well!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #19
C low

Quote:
So keep 3 total springs then? It seems to me the arch on the helper won't really match the springs above it. Does it need to or will the weight of the pickup de-arch the springs enough that it will come close to matching?
yeah to the de-arch thing.. lube the ubolts like a day in advance(as much as you want the more the better) also this will help you out alot!!!
C low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
dag19

Haha you got that right...those things are a bugger I do know that from past lift jobs!! And that works on the de-arch. I will see what it looks like all clamped down. Do you think with only removing two leaves I will have to re-thread the U-bolts?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #21
packrat42

I have 2.5" drop spindles, and 3" drop springs in front. The rear has a flip kit and 3" blocks.
Attached Images

...............................____
.................________-|___\____
..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|
Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
Tim Christian

we always took our leaf springs to a spring shop in Johnson City TN and have them dearched cost abour 30 bucks with them already off the truck
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #23
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
Any guidance on the leaf removal. Any specific ones to remove or more important any specific leaf that needs to stay. My guess will be to remove the ones form the middle and leave the ones at the ends of the pack, but I do not know for sure. Let's say we want a 4" drop on a 1/2 ton truck with leaf, how many a witch ones I need to remove?
Remove the shortest leaves first, this will give the best ride and support to the remaining spring ends.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #24
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
So there I was...lowering the front end of my pickup by a supposed 2" via a set of drop spindles with disc brakes. All went well on the installation. Measured it afterwards and I am pretty sure I got set of spindles that dropped that hummer by about 5 inches! So after looking at it I was satisfied with the look but needed to do something with the rearend.

The rearend has leaf springs. I put a 3" drop shackle on there and it still has a nasty rake. So now I want to go back and either put a set of lowering leaf springs on or put in some air bags. Which is the most economical, best ride, and easiest to do?
First of all its impossible to get 5 inch drop from spindles, your ball joints would be into your wheels!!!

I take it that u probably used 2.5 inch spindles and aftermarket drop coil springs (which always vary in advertised drop).

On my truck I used drop leaf springs from early classic "4 inch", they ride great.
I first experimented with removing leaves which does drop the truck, but the ride was a bit stiff. I believe it was the spring ends digging into the leaves above as the suspension compresses. This is worse when the leaves flatten out because they are made with more arch built in and u really can not get away from that.

Your truck looks like it would work best with a axle flip, which will drop it the width of the axle tube 3 inch and the leaf pack 2-4 more inches, giving u a minimum of 5 inch with factory ride quality. Be sure to adjust pinion angle to 2-3 degrees down or it will vibrate like a mother. Good luck ...TTYL
Attached Images

RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
PLANETGETLOW

Lots of good information in here.
PLANETGETLOW is offline   Reply With Quote