The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
cj847

Saginaw power steering pumps

I am having an issue with saginaw pumps. I have replaced dozens over the years without an issue.

The issue: Pump is on an LS swap. It is a 2001 hydroboost pump. It was not producing enough pressure to make the power steering feel right. It is better than non power, but not nearly as easy as power steering. So, I bought a rebuilt unit and it felt about the same. Then I pulled it off and "hotrodded" it like the offroad guys do (2 #4 flat washers under the relief valve spring). Literally no change.
PS> It has a new steering box and new hoses.

I guess I am looking for ideas. I am considering:
-buy a pump for an 86 c10
-buy a high dollar aftermarket pump like borgeson or others.

What do the experts say?
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:01 AM   #2
Bob B.

Re: Saginaw power steering pumps

Pulley size? Maybe you are turning it too slow.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #3
BigCountryx

My steering is almost too light with the stock 2001 5.3 pump. I changed to a quick ratio Borgeson gear box and it's a little firmer, but still softer than most modern power steering setups. Not sure what you have going on unless there might be a restriction somewhere.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:47 PM   #4
cj847

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountryx View Post
My steering is almost too light with the stock 2001 5.3 pump. I changed to a quick ratio Borgeson gear box and it's a little firmer, but still softer than most modern power steering setups. Not sure what you have going on unless there might be a restriction somewhere.
That is my concern. I have a jeep with 5.3 and a saginaw box and it is fine.

On this truck I have a lares quick ratio box, all new hoses and remanufactured pump. The only thing I changed was to put the outlet from my old pump into the reman pump. (ie so I could use flare hose end vs O ring). I did check and it had the same ID and length of the outlet that the pump came with. I suppose I could have got a bad hose?

Can anyone confirm there is no pressure bypass in the steering box? I know that rack and pinions can bypass but I've never heard of a 700 or 800 saginaw box bypassing.

The "right" thing to do is test the pressure with a gauge. But the auto parts stores don't rent that tool and it costs more than a new pump.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:44 PM   #5
R.O.B.

I think it's your quick ratio box, not the pump. I remember on my 86 Trans Am that had the WS6 package, that steering was very sporty. Firm, better than manual by far, but not Cadillac slush by any means
R.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote