The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
okiefab

small block

have any of you guys had any dealings with this shop it is in North Carolina suppose to do a lot of Nascar engine work i"m looking for a roller block there asking $595 but will take $550 if i am not in a hurry.

Up for auction is a GM Late Model Roller Block Machined 4.030" and Ready to Assemble. The block has been completely gone through, all oil passages cleaned thoroughly, all bolt holes have been tapped. The engine has been inspected, pressure tested and cleaned in house by T&L Engine Development. The block is a factory 1 piece seal and is machined for a 3.750 crankshaft.
the block has been fitted with Billet 4 Bolt Splayed Steel Main caps.

T&L Machine they have a web site on ebay
okiefab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
trailwart

Re: small block

http://www.tandlengines.com/

this isnt ebay, but hgere is there main site.

1999 suburban 4x4

1982 chevrolet S-10 V-8 (Thanks uncle EARL)
trailwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
okiefab

thanks for the info, if the machine work they say has been done not a bad price
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
trailwart

biggest problem i see with going with somthing like that is the machine work being done without the pistons. unless you bought pistons from the or sent them pistons to bore to size.

1999 suburban 4x4

1982 chevrolet S-10 V-8 (Thanks uncle EARL)
trailwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
okiefab

yes i discussed that with them, and they can go anyway i want ,they need piston and clearance, they have a good price on Manley piston also Ross just trying to get a little feed back on them
but yes you are right you never want to bore and hone without piston, also need deck for my final ratio.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

With a better piston like SRP,JE,Ross etc you really don't have to do the 'fit to the hole' so to speak. I mean it's not anything like the ol TRW sloppy tolerances. With the better pistons a big part of what your paying for is the finish tooling and repeatable size from piston to piston to piston. Not as tho having the piston in hand to verify size isn't a good check, but it's not as big of deal as it used to be.

If the block is final honed with a stress plate, and decked to your spec, then I'd say that is a very decent deal. But... I'm guessing it's not stress plate honed, and deck is 'as is' unless they see damage and 'touch it up'.

With a new virgin GMPP 4bolt block being $700 now, what you found there sounds like a decent deal. But quality of the final machining will the the test.

One of the best guys I know of for shipping high quality cnc machined sbc block is Carl at CNCblocksnortheast. Seen a couple of his pieces and they are first rate. Might be worth a call to see what he can do for you.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
okiefab

thanks marv d i will check out cncblocksnotheast i am open to all ,
i have been looking for a block with the machine work finished to my specs, i dont have a machine shop around me that has the equiptment to do a quality high performance block, i'm not building a 750 hp beast but want a quality roller for weekend drag in a stock body truck.