The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
biggsteve97

Intake tube opinions

Well what I have is a small dilemma. I put a cold air kit on my 03 Tahoe with a Jet Performance MAF sensor and for some reason about a month ago I started getting codes for lean bank one, lean bank 2, and maf sensor circuit performance, mostly when my gf drove the Tahoe. However, when I put the stock air intake back on with the Jet Performance sensor I have no issues, same mpg and almost the same performance just no ses light. When I put the cold air kit back on with the stock MAF sensor I noticed a decrease in mpg. Since i did not notice much performance difference between the stock box with a K&N panel filter and the cold air kit, both with the Jet maf sensor, I was thinking about running the stock box and the flat panel K&N but with an airaid performance air intake tube. wondered if anyone had any opinions on on the airaid intake tube/stock box setup. I am including a link to the site with the airaid tube.
http://performancetruckproducts.com/...-6-0l-ls1.html

Last edited by biggsteve97; 11-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
biggsteve97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Intake tube opinions

When I first built my Suburban I had a K&N cold air filter & tube, I was also getting a P0101 code, Installed the stock air box on it with a K&N replacement filter.....No more code.

Does the JET MAF have a screen in it? To answer your question I think the intake tubes are a good buy.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
bighaas79

Would have to agree with the maf being issue here. Could be solved by either going back to original, but would probably see more benefit to a tune to allow for the higher airflow calibration in the pcm, that the improved intake system is providing. You have to remember the stock pcm is only expecting to see the airflow that would be normal for your truck. When it sees higher airflow readings coming from the maf sensor it sees this as out of the programed range and thinks there is an issue, so it sets off the codes.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
biggsteve97

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
When I first built my Suburban I had a K&N cold air filter & tube, I was also getting a P0101 code, Installed the stock air box on it with a K&N replacement filter.....No more code.

Does the JET MAF have a screen in it? To answer your question I think the intake tubes are a good buy.
That is interesting how you got the tube to connect to the box clinebarger. Its just weird that JET claims the sensor will work with a cold air kit and then it just throws codes. No the JET maf sensor does not have a screen as well as it does not have that follower air divider thing on the outlet side like the stock one. So it makes me think with the 2 holes they added to the diverter on the inlet side it cause turbulence behind the sensor with out that follower thing. Ill put up some pics to show what I am referring to. the first two pics should be of the stock gm sensor and the last one is showing the outlet side of the jet.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
biggsteve97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaas79 View Post
Would have to agree with the maf being issue here. Could be solved by either going back to original, but would probably see more benefit to a tune to allow for the higher airflow calibration in the pcm, that the improved intake system is providing. You have to remember the stock pcm is only expecting to see the airflow that would be normal for your truck. When it sees higher airflow readings coming from the maf sensor it sees this as out of the programed range and thinks there is an issue, so it sets off the codes.
I can run the stock sensor with the cold air kit with no light. However I loose about 2-3 mpg over what I get with the jet sensor and some throttle response. I would like to get a custom tune but there is only one shop here locally, he is new to the business and very small so he is always busy as well as I do not currently have the funds yet and was just trying to squeeze as much mpg as i can out of this pig until then
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
biggsteve97

Update: I ditched the Jet Maf sensor and I am just using the stock one. I installed a ported and polished throttle body with stock size throttle blades to improve air flow. with the cold air kit it works awesome. better mileage and wayy better throttle response. That being said with winter coming and as much salt and sand that we use around here I put the stock air intake back on but I was able to pick up an Airaid MIT and installed that as well. Well now im not sure what is going on. My mileage has dropped from 16-17 combined to 11-12 combined and hwy has droped from19-20 to 14.8. I have contacted Airaid and after asking about what other mods have been done, I have not heard anything else in a few days. Throttle response is down significantly below 2000rpm and I have to use more than a 1/4 for most driving. other than at WOT the engine feels way down on power. I cannot imagine the stock tubes resonator being able to compensate for anything so I do not understand how just installing the Airaid MIT could lose so much performance. I have tried both the stock air filter in the stock box as well as a K&N filter in the stock box with absolutely no change. I tried driving it for about 1200 miles thinking maybe it needed to calibrate itself but that was pointless. I am thinking about modifiying the stock box to where it can pull air from behind the headlight as well to see if that helps but the whole point of putting the stock box back in during the winter months was to protect the maf sensor and engine from salt and other winter road debris. Anyone have any ideas? Im still waiting on Airaids response as well.