The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
smilts60

I work to much project: LWB stepper build

So back in january or feb I bought a LWB Stepper. A couple of weeks ago I finaly started on it. The plan is to clean it up get everything strait bag and drop it to the floor, paint it a two tone black bottom green upper, and get the girls. Found all kinds of unique hidden problems, but since I have a entire 2 hours a day free from work( I work 7 days a week 12 hour shifts) to mess with it I should be done in no time right. Actualy except for the cab the bodys pretty clean. The cab is a mess however. someone decided to weld plates over rusted out floors and bondo rust holes instead of actualy fixing them. Right now Im working on getting patch panels in for the floors as well as new cab mounts rockers and front cab supports. Heres some pictures and Ill post more of progress so far tomorrow. Hopefully a build thread will keep me interested
how it looked when I got it

How it still looks

crap that had to go

problem area previously hidden by a sheet of steel welded over it.
smilts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
k1rodeoboater

Re: I work to much project: LWB stepper build

Welcome to the LWB stepper club...we're sorta an anomaly it seems.

Since you're 5 lug alll around you've got either 2nd or 3rd gen spindles. What engine do you plan on putting in there?
Posted via Mobile Device

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
smilts60

Yea the rear axle is Im told out of a trans am, not sure what year and its not staying in anycase. I have a 83 chevy long bed that is going to be a doner for this truck, which seems backwards somehow. Not sure yet which engine Im going to use I have 3 350's a TA parked in front of my 60 with a 2bolt 350 and i bvelieve both the 83 truck and my camaro have 4bolt 350's but there a few hours away so just not 100% which one Ill use yet.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
smilts60

Some progress Ive made over the last couple of weeks. Mostly just stripping the body off havnt removed the radiator support yet. but got all the crap wiring out most of the enterior is cleaned out ready to be repaired and blasted clean of paint soon. I'm leteraly working under a tree. I used to have a nice little shop but a divorce took care of that problem for me.
Before

After

body in front is mostly stripped. I'm working on figuring out how one guy is going to remove the cab and the bed.

A Little work Ive gotten done removing the outer rockers and just cleaning things up to see whats good metal and what has to be replaced
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
smilts60

Got a little progress done finished stripping the enterior and the radiator mount off. Should have some pictures tomorrow if all goes well..
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Oh man you have some work to do! Nice progress so far, but DON"T throw away those NOVA bucket seats! Those things are worth $$$ to Nova guys.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
smilts60

Thnx, yea pretty sure i have a long road to haul on this truck. I had no clue what seats they were there chillin in the back yard but if there seats that someone might want Ill put them up out of the weather some.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
MOTOIMPAIRED

Good start and dont give up. It feels good to look back and see all the progress you make along the way..
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
smilts60

I havnt forgotten about my truck yet. Kinda takinga break deciding what I can do while I wait for money to order patch panels for the cab. sad I know.