The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #1
ajgriffin

HELP! Burb died and didn't tell me why

So I have a 71 Suburban that I've owned for less than a month. I have plans to swap out the engine eventually, but in the mean time I've been driving with the 350 the PO sold it with. I've driven it on at least 5 occasions without issue starting...needed the occasional jump start, but overall it was ok. Then I go outside to move it into my driveway an initially it clicked/faintly tried to turn over, so I hooked it up for a jump...nothing. No click, no turning over, not even headlights! I checked the battery and its reading close to 13V, the fact that the lights won't even come on has me scratching my head.

Where should I start troubleshooting?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Beach-Burban

Re: HELP! Burb died and didn't tell me why

Just a guess...but your fuseable link might have burnt from the jump starting???
Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
ajgriffin

Thanks Beach-Burban! I'll give it a look when I get home today. Also, good to know there's another Burb in the Southbay! We should link up sometime, I'm just over in Carson and travel through Torrance everyday.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
Thanks Beach-Burban! I'll give it a look when I get home today. Also, good to know there's another Burb in the Southbay! We should link up sometime, I'm just over in Carson and travel through Torrance everyday.
Cool...hope it helps! I was blind to the fact that you're in Carson...very close, indeed! I'm on the border of So. Torrance and Redondo Beach...I've seen a light blue Burb in the area a few times just recently...yours?
Woody
Old 08-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Cool...hope it helps! I was blind to the fact that you're in Carson...very close, indeed! I'm on the border of So. Torrance and Redondo Beach...I've seen a light blue Burb in the area a few times just recently...yours?
Woody
No, that one isn't me - I've only seen one other Burb in the wild here and it was a little bit darker than the light blue I've seen on other trucks. This is my junk
- Alton
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Beach-Burban

Quote:
No, that one isn't me - I've only seen one other Burb in the wild here and it was a little bit darker than the light blue I've seen on other trucks. This is my junk
- Alton
That's darn nice "junk", Alton! The Suburban that started my interest belonged to my father-in-law during the seventies when my wife and I were dating...it was a '71 in the same yellow as yours! Here's an old photo of it...with a tree obscuring most of it, but photos were few and far between back then!
Woody

Name:  Scan 891.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The first thing I would do is remove the battery cables and clean the cables and battery posts. You can buy a battery post cleaner at any parts store for a couple of bucks. It doesn't take much corrosion to affect the flow of electricity both for power to the system and to re-charge the battery. Also remove the small wire from the battery to the small junction block on the passengers fender and clean the wire end and the mounting post on the block. If the nut and small washer are rusty replace them.

Let us know how that goes.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdoc View Post
-
the first thing i would do is remove the battery cables and clean the cables and battery posts. You can buy a battery post cleaner at any parts store for a couple of bucks. It doesn't take much corrosion to affect the flow of electricity both for power to the system and to re-charge the battery. Also remove the small wire from the battery to the small junction block on the passengers fender and clean the wire end and the mounting post on the block. If the nut and small washer are rusty replace them.

Lockdoc

^^^ x2! ^^^

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
- Alton
Junk like that should be towed to my house and left.
Just my way of subscribing.
Good luck. You're in good hands with LockDoc.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
That's darn nice "junk", Alton! The Suburban that started my interest belonged to my father-in-law during the seventies when my wife and I were dating...it was a '71 in the same yellow as yours! Here's an old photo of it...with a tree obscuring most of it, but photos were few and far between back then!
Woody

Attachment 1930678
Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Junk like that should be towed to my house and left.
Just my way of subscribing.
Good luck. You're in good hands with LockDoc.
I know it looks pretty good in the pics, but Beverly Hills looks the same as Compton from an airplane That's an awesome pic too Woody! I hope to get some memories like that with the family.

It is in decent shape, but the paint job the PO did leaves me with enough questions to not pump it up too much. She's in a lot better shape than some of the other ones I looked at before settling on this one that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
The first thing I would do is remove the battery cables and clean the cables and battery posts. You can buy a battery post cleaner at any parts store for a couple of bucks. It doesn't take much corrosion to affect the flow of electricity both for power to the system and to re-charge the battery. Also remove the small wire from the battery to the small junction block on the passengers fender and clean the wire end and the mounting post on the block. If the nut and small washer are rusty replace them.

LockDoc
So its firing up again. The fuseable link looked OK and there wasn't any corrosion on the terminals, but the wires look pretty shot. The wire from the positive terminal to the fuse block is barely hanging on so I'll replace the cables here shortly. Thanks for the tips guys! Time to get this LS swap underway before more bugs come out!
Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I know it looks pretty good in the pics, but Beverly Hills looks the same as Compton from an airplane That's an awesome pic too Woody! I hope to get some memories like that with the family.

It is in decent shape, but the paint job the PO did leaves me with enough questions to not pump it up too much. She's in a lot better shape than some of the other ones I looked at before settling on this one that's for sure!

So its firing up again. The fuseable link looked OK and there wasn't any corrosion on the terminals, but the wires look pretty shot. The wire from the positive terminal to the fuse block is barely hanging on so I'll replace the cables here shortly. Thanks for the tips guys! Time to get this LS swap underway before more bugs come out!

The wire to the terminal block pretty much powers everything on the truck so it needs to be in good shape.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote