The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
CVA59

Re: My 61 Build (Grandfathers truck clone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Holy cow, “some” progress? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a truck blown apart so quickly. Nice to see the project coming along so fast.

Here are a couple of threads on the front suspension and motor/trans mounts from my 1960 GMC:

Suspension
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366850

Another benefit of using at least a 63 suspension is you’ll get rid of the early spindles that require ball bearings for wheel bearings. I believe starting in 1962 they converted to tapered roller bearings, which last infinitely longer than the expensive and poor quality ball bearings offered today.

Motor/Transmission mounts
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369663

There is a Persh link in this thread that shows the different types of motor mounts offered originally in the 60-62 chassis. They are rather hard to find, and may not work with conventional power steering brackets.

I used 67-72 style by adding 1” spacers on top of the frame to match the earlier design with the later 63-72 dimensions as shown in the thread.
LOL, Yes. Dad and i jumped all over this thing. In 3 days it was stripped down to the bare frame and all the suspension was dissassembled. I am now ready to take it to the blaster. Shouldn't be much longer until its painted and i will be going back together with it. Can't wait to get the chassis rolling again and all painted up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Damn! thats the most caked motor and trans i have ever seen!
It was insane how much grease and gunk it had. But, the good side to all that, there was no rust at all anywhere on the engine. The original valve covers look like brand new. It was pretty much a protective coating that worked very well.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 06-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I'm hoping to encourage you to make your truck a casual hobby rather than a project.

Tinker when you can.

I sometimes feel overwhelmed when digging in.
So I figure what's the rush.

Mine is to tinker.
I have very little desire to tear town and build back up at this point in time. So I tinker.
I do a little. Sit in it and dream a little.
Think of my grandpa a little. And then tinker a little.

I was really impressed how rare your grandpa's truck really was.
If it was mine, I'd just get a running donor - no need for original at this time - just get it back together and running. And then casually locate parts here and there. But as a hobby, not a project.

I didn't have the time or money for my 65, so I sold it. When I could have just kept it and tinkered from time to time.

My 66 now is not a project, it's my hobby.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
LostMy65

It's too bad Mark's and Captainfab's posts got deleted in your 'The dream is over' thread.
They both had some encouraging points.

I found Mark's post in my email because I got it when he replied to your thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by market01
I’m sorry it turned out this way. I was excited about the concept of the project, but I also understand getting in over your head. I’m frequently disappointed it now takes me days or weeks to accomplish what I use to complete in no time at all. I’m realistic enough to know if I take too much apart it may never get back together. Ten years ago that wouldn’t have been a consideration. Perhaps you could hang on to the rare parts until you find a better donor. If it’s truly time to move on, I wish you the best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
CVA59

Thanks for the reply guys. Your advice is very much appreciated. I have never been as low mentally as i am right now over this whole trade deal. Firstly, I would like to say that the two guys that i proposed the trade to and got the 61 from are awesome and have done everything they can to help even out things for me. I traded a truck (my 64) that had a bunch of money and time spent on it for a "dream". A dream truck that the frame and cab were totally gone on. However, these issues were not found until after the trade was made and the 61 was torn apart. So, it is now my problem to face. I was so caught up chasing a dream to own a truck like my Grandad's that i momentarily lost my perception of reality. I do not blame anyone but myself for my decision, a decision that was foolish and will have everlasting effects on me and how i look at money and time being invested into a project like this in the future.

So, as things stand right now. I need a usuable BBW 63 cab. I am buying a rolling 63 GMC frame from lilred67 and that will solve the frame issues. I have decided to keep all my parts and see what i can find as far as a cab goes. If i can locate a decent cab i will try to regroup and start back up on rebuilding this truck. Unfortunetly, at the moment i have lost most all my motivation and desire to do anything after this roller coaster ride. I will keep at it but until i get out of this funk i am in i won't be doing much to it. I do appreciate those of you who have offered encouragement and support. After loosing as much money as i have on this deal i can sure use it.

Thanks guys,

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 07-05-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #30
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

For what it’s worth I can relate to how you feel. Several years ago I took my truck to a “professional” body shop to have NOS rockers installed. Long story short – I spent $1,000 hard earned dollars I could barely afford to have them completely trash my truck. The rockers were poorly and incompletely done. They knocked dents, dings and scratches all over the truck, sprayed gray primer all over my interior including the upholstery, gauges, and dashboard, and hung the doors so crooked they could hardly be closed.

Any legal action requires giving the shop an opportunity to make right on the damages, and I wasn’t about to allow that, so I just ate the loss. After nearly two decades of ownership, the first time out of my hands and it was almost completely ruined. It was terribly depressing. The truck sat in the garage for several months while I considered different ways to just get rid of it. After enough time passed, I started missing the experience of driving it. Eventually I just started over and had to repair and correct all the new problems that didn’t exist previously. In the end, I’m glad I kept the truck, and chalked it up as a learning experience. Maybe a little time will provide a solution.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #31
LostMy65

It appears you sold your truck?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...or-sale&cat=18

I'm really sorry this went bad for you.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #32
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
For what it’s worth I can relate to how you feel. Several years ago I took my truck to a “professional” body shop to have NOS rockers installed. Long story short – I spent $1,000 hard earned dollars I could barely afford to have them completely trash my truck. The rockers were poorly and incompletely done. They knocked dents, dings and scratches all over the truck, sprayed gray primer all over my interior including the upholstery, gauges, and dashboard, and hung the doors so crooked they could hardly be closed.

Any legal action requires giving the shop an opportunity to make right on the damages, and I wasn’t about to allow that, so I just ate the loss. After nearly two decades of ownership, the first time out of my hands and it was almost completely ruined. It was terribly depressing. The truck sat in the garage for several months while I considered different ways to just get rid of it. After enough time passed, I started missing the experience of driving it. Eventually I just started over and had to repair and correct all the new problems that didn’t exist previously. In the end, I’m glad I kept the truck, and chalked it up as a learning experience. Maybe a little time will provide a solution.
Thanks Mark and very true. I think when enough time has passed i will feel more like tinkering with it again. Your story sounds pretty rough as well. I have to make every penny count on this project and the penny's come real slow if at all. Like the old saying "i have more time than money", LOL. If it weren't for the connection i feel with my Grandad i would probably have went ahead and abandoned this project. In some special way his memory is what is keeping me afloat on this thing.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #33
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
It appears you sold your truck?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...or-sale&cat=18

I'm really sorry this went bad for you.
No, in order to stop the thread i marked it sold. I still have everything here in my garage, LOL.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #34
daverod
SSN 706

Sucks your feeling so down. These trucks do seem to suck up a lot of money. Keep your head up Zack things will work out. It might just take a little bit longer.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #35
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Sucks your feeling so down. These trucks do seem to suck up a lot of money. Keep your head up Zack things will work out. It might just take a little bit longer.
Thanks Dave. I appreciate it. I will get excited again hopefully before i know it.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I am very happy to hear that you have had a change of heart on selling this truck. Like you said you just need a little time to get enthused about it again. I can understand your feelings of giving up all the $$ and work you put into your '64, only to end up with something far less than you hoped for.

I think that '63 frame you are picking up will solve some of the issues you were facing with the '61 frame. Is the '61 cab really all that bad? When you feel motivated to get back at this again, get a hold of me, and I'll see what I can do to make things a little easier for you.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #37
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
I am buying a rolling 63 GMC frame from lilred67 and that will solve the frame issues.
Is it a trailing arm frame?

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I am very happy to hear that you have had a change of heart on selling this truck. Like you said you just need a little time to get enthused about it again. I can understand your feelings of giving up all the $$ and work you put into your '64, only to end up with something far less than you hoped for.

I think that '63 frame you are picking up will solve some of the issues you were facing with the '61 frame. Is the '61 cab really all that bad? When you feel motivated to get back at this again, get a hold of me, and I'll see what I can do to make things a little easier for you.
Thanks alot Fab. I really appreciate it. The original 61 cab was gone from the lower door hinge down. The floor supports and everything were gone. The original 61 frame had major rot in it as well. I could fix the frame but it would require scabbing fish plates over the rusted out places and that would look kinda cheesy IMHO. Right where the bellhousing crossmember was welding on the frame, it was all rotted out underneath and the inside frame wall was eat away. In the middle where the inner "X" pieces come together have significant rot. It would take quite a bit of repair to make this frame suitable for use again. I have a 63 cab that is somewhat better but it too will need extensive rust repairs/patch panels. I am hoping that 63 frame will work out ok and save me a bunch of headaches. If i can't find another cab, i will just put this 63 cab on this 63 GMC frame and go from there. I hope all my other 61 sheetmetal will bolt up correctly. Thanks again Fab, I will be calling you sometime soon i hope.

Quote:
Is it a trailing arm frame?
It has leafs on the rear. It is a 63 GMC frame. I hope it will work ok. Will leafs vs. coils make any difference in how everything bolts up as far as my sheetmetal?

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 07-06-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #39
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

All of the front sheet metal will bolt up just fine. The one issue will be the bed. The mounting holes in the cross sills of the '61 bed will be farther apart side to side, than on a '63-'66 bed. There are a couple of ways to fix that. One is to replace the cross sills with later model parts. You could extend the bed mounts on the frame. Or you could extend the plates on the bottom of the cross sills and drill new holes farther in.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #40
CVA59

Hmmm, I learn something new everyday. I will more than likely just slice the plates off and move them out. My sills are like brand new, not rust at all. For me that sounds like the easier fix. Thanks for pointing that out Fab.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #41
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes That should work too.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #42
Dino Driver

I started out with a 1960 and tinkered with the motor mounts but as soon as I put an automatic tranny in I had to change motor mounts. I am now using a 1964 frame for several reasons. The torsion bars don't get in the way of exhaust and any suspension items I want cost on average 20% less than the 1960-63 frames and they are easier to come by. I did have to cut the cab mounts off the 60 frame and weld them onto the 64 frame, I suspect you'll have to do the same.
Dino Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #43
CVA59

Dino..... I should be ok on that. My cab is a 63 and the frame is a 63 so other than the bed sills as Fab pointed out i should be in good shape for the swap over. I am hoping anyway, LOL. I am going to look at a running 63 BBW SWB near where i live this afternoon. If i get it, i will swap my 61 stuff over to it and then i should be off and running again. The guy says the cab is pretty solid and is a running driving truck minus a complete brake overhaul. I will hopefully find out this afternoon.

Does anyone know where i can find a good 61 grill? I am getting one from the PO but i would like to find a spare anyway.

Thanks

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #44
daverod
SSN 706

I think I would fix the brakes and drive the hell out of it.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #45
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Does anyone know where i can find a good 61 grill? I am getting one from the PO but i would like to find a spare anyway.

Thanks
If you have pockets much deeper than mine, there is a beautiful chromed example on ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-...Q5fAccessories

Perhaps a call to the vendor might turn up a less expensive alternative.

Last edited by markeb01; 07-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I think I would fix the brakes and drive the hell out of it.
I hear ya Dave and that is a very GOOD idea. That is definitely something i am looking at if the truck is as good as the owner says it is.

Mark.......... I saw that grill. It is awesome but the price tag is quite a bit out of my range. I would love to find one like it though. I do not see anyone paying that kinda of money for a grill.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #47
daverod
SSN 706

I only paid 300 for my 64. If you drive it all the time it's hard to spend a lot of money on it. Not saying I have'nt put some cash into it, but not as much as my other trucks. Best thing is I get to drive it the other ones only go up and down.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #48
CVA59

I would rather drive an old truck than my 08. Nothing like driving an old truck. Regardless of what i drive it has to have AC, LOL. When i get my truck driving i will be adding AC. That will be a priority for me.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #49
LostMy65

Quote:
I would rather drive an old truck than my 08. Nothing like driving an old truck. Regardless of what i drive it has to have AC, LOL. When i get my truck driving i will be adding AC. That will be a priority for me.
Living it hot texas, huh?

A heater is a bigger priority here in Oregon.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #50
CVA59

Quote:
Living it hot texas, huh?

A heater is a bigger priority here in Oregon.

It was 108 outside today. Inside my truck at work was 140. This heat is killing me mentally and physically. I am not sure how many more years i can stand this climate.

www.23t.weebly.com