The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
McMurphy

On taking Photos, couple tips

Hello gentlmen,
and any ladies that may be out there!!

Here are a couple tips on taking photos for your posts:

1. If possible use a tripod, the stability will increase the sharpness of your pics by 50%, ESPECIALLY if you are in a garage that is not well lit.

2. If you get that flash haze alot you can reduce that by putting a piece of plain old yellow masking tape across your flash, but again you will really need the tripod. Or you can use a piece of toilet paper across the flash. These will work as a diffuser and will scatter and soften the brightness of the flash without compromising the lighting needed for the shot.
(That is why the fellow taking your wedding candid photos had tape across his flash in case you were wondering.

3. With the new auto-everything cameras today, if you get a shot framed but the camera wont fire it is because it is not registering enough light thru the apature. Just aim the camera at a better lit spot not from from the shot you want, and push the trigger half way down...re-center on the shot you want, then push the rest of the way to take the pic.

I think this will help some of the fellows here with their threads (my eyes are like raisens cause I been trying to read a LOT of your builds)

Good luck and hope to see alot more pics !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: On taking Photos, couple tips

Moved ya to general discussion.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
prairewolf

show us a couple pictures of yours for examples please. ..... these are 2 I took by hand with a basic camera. ..this is as about as good as I will ever get, .... there is only so much clock in the day. .... good suggestions though, thanks for the Ideas that work. .......

kent
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
McMurphy

Hmmm Prairewolf, that is a concept.
I almost always follow these steps so I would have to purposely goof a couple up for comparison. I will give it a go tho.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
prairewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Hmmm Prairewolf, that is a concept.
I almost always follow these steps so I would have to purposely goof a couple up for comparison. I will give it a go tho.

I was actually thankful for the thoughts/tips you gave on better picture taking, and I actually asked nicely for examples of your pictures ... mine are perfect for me, (so far) ... show us what works for you please. ....... as is said often on this website. ..." this thread is worthless without pics." jmo

life is good,kent

Last edited by prairewolf; 10-03-2011 at 07:26 AM.
prairewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

We can always use a little guidance on photographing. I suppose the use a tri-pod suggestion is related to taking build pictures in a shop,which is a good suggestion when in lower lighted areas indoors where more apature time is required. The same with the flash suggestion,it leads me to believe once again the topic is indoor photography. Cuz,I never carry a tri-pod around at shows and most of what I take I consider snap shots. I now the vary word makes some true photographers cringe. Generally,when I'm taking outdoor shots my focus (ha ha,get it? Focus?) is framing and lighting. Get the whole dang thing in the picture or catch a good piece of background if it's good and go for the lighted side whenever possible...as well as with the light source from behind you. Just following those simple steps results in decent pictures for general viewing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
prairewolf

clarity is a good thing, .... I learned something today. thanks,kent
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Another suggestion for those trying to take close-up shots is to use the "macro" setting. This is the setting that looks like a flower. Sorry, don't have an example but most point-and-shoot cameras have a scenic setting that looks like a couple mountains and a flower for close-up or macro. Macro usually works in less than 3-5 feet. And with digital, you can see which works best.

I used macro to get this pic for test-grinding for a brake pedal bolt and I was about 1-2 feet from the subjects.

Name:  IMG_2500.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  27.8 KB

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

That's a very useful tip. Most of us are point and clickers and never even take the setting off of auto. I've noticed many close upshots trying to show a detail failing to help due to lack of such clarity.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote