The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
72-k20-burb

Help! Suburban seat covers unavailable

LMC advertises a suburban seat cover, see photo for what they sent me.

The rear material stops about 6" down from the top of the seat. This is for a truck, double checked the part number and after two phone calls and an hour they apparently do not make suburban seat covers. My original cover goes all the way to the floor, as do the next two rows.

Classic industries doesn't have one that I can find.

Brothers Trucks has them on their website but they are 'back ordered' without any ETA. Two phone calls to Brothers has not yielded much, they will not give me any time reference for how quickly I will get these back ordered covers. When I asked someone at brothers if they could call the vendor to get an idea of lead time that was apparently too difficult for them to do, however they really thought I should just go ahead and buy the seats without any knowledge if I will get them this month or next. The guy on the phone said it 'could be two weeks or a few months'.

The local upholstery shop (with a superb reputation) will custom make them for about $700 each, which is a bit more than I was hoping to pay after seeing the $300 prices most places.

Anyone have a good place to buy them? The K5 has got to have the same problem right?

This is not to blame LMC or Brothers, I have multiple orders at each place with nothing but good results. This is the first time I have been stuck on parts.
Attached Images

72-k20-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Help! Suburban seat covers unavailable

I had all of mine made...

I purchased all of the OE correct materials from SMS fabric, then gathered my research of how the seat cover should be done and visited my local guy and had them all made.

You are just south of me, and I used Franks Hot Rods in Temecula.
I paid 500 a bench for all of his work, not including materials... So, yea it stung. There was a reason why my seat re do was the last project on my burb.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
72-k20-burb

I gave up with pre-fabbed seat covers. I also had to give up on a return to LMC. Several phone calls and emails with no real help or response on a straight return.

I ended up taking the LMC cover to MTM Upholstery in Vista, CA. I heard good feedback from other truck guys about them, see photo of the quality. They replaced the old short piece with a long one, so I am still using the majority of the material from LMC. All in all, including the original cover I am in this about $490. So I guess that's a good way to end after all.

They were unable to get the pleated look in the correct color, but I still think it looks pretty good.

As a side note, I now have a gap between the upper and lower parts of the seat. That was not there with the old cover, I think the new ones are tight enough that with the hog rings applied they pull tight and create a nice path for crap to slide off the seat and fall behind it. Not sure if anyone else has seen that with new covers.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
vectorit
What?

Looks good.
Did you use new foam?
I had that gap with a recent seat rebuild using the foam that everyone sells, and it seems to be settling in but overall I am not happy with the foam since it is very rigid. Praying that it softens up, but until then it sucks for me.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Looks good.
Did you use new foam?
I had that gap with a recent seat rebuild using the foam that everyone sells, and it seems to be settling in but overall I am not happy with the foam since it is very rigid. Praying that it softens up, but until then it sucks for me.
Gather up all of your largest buddies, fill up the Burb with them and take em off road. That should soften those seats up =)
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:31 AM   #6
GMCPaul

This is because the Suburban & Blazer front & rear bench seat covers are only made by Truck World who will tell a vendor they ship orders within 3-4 weeks then take 6 months to well over a year to do so. This then causes issues between vendor that sold it and the customer which quite often ends up with the customer no longer doing business with the vendor that sold it. They make a great upholstery but there fulfillment of orders causes so many headaches for those that attempt to carry them that most every truck vendor no longer wants to sell them.
We currently still have 1 Brite Blue 71-72 Suburban / Blazer scroll pattern rear seat cover ( for Suburban models with middle & rear seats, upholstery fits either seat ) from Truck World and 1 set of 69-70 Brite Blue bucket from Truck World available. If anyone's interested in 1 of those 2 covers email us at
robbinspd1199@yahoo.com
because we no longer advertise them on our website.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Last edited by GMCPaul; 08-13-2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Black is sold
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
72-k20-burb

Interesting. I get the problem, the demand can't be that high. I would appreciate, however, more honesty from vendors in general.

Vectorit-
I bought two pieces of foam. one 20x20x3" piece of pretty dense stuff that I used to supplement the drivers side a little. I only used a 4" wide piece though. Climbing down on that side always wears out faster. I also bought a 1" much much softer piece the full height and width of the seat back to pad it. I'm pretty glad I did, mostly because I was able to shove it up higher under the seat cover so the metal frame isn't sticking up and pushing the cover up.

I also noticed some of the springs were broken, so I just welded those back together. They won't flex as well, but the broken bolster springs on both sides made a massive difference once I tacked and painted them.
Attached Images