The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
Strider

LMC truck front brake line set 1971 -1972 part # 34-5412

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has tried the brake line kits from LMC.

Bought a set of the front lines for a power disc set up for 1971-1972 Chevy 1/2 ton. Part # 34-5412.

Each line is capped with a coloured rubber cap. Lines come off the prop valve - back of prop valve goes to the front as it has 3 lines in total with brown caps and they are all 1/4" line. Front line comes off prop valve and has only 1 other line to match it - both with grey caps suggesting that they go together. They are 3/16" lines.

I'm using this system on my 57 GMC truck that I am building. I have a CPP master and prop valve hanging off the firewall. A few gentle bends and its all good so far. Discs up front, drums in the rear.

|My questions are - everywhere I read, 3/16" line is used for discs and the 1/4" line is used for drums. Why would the LMC truck kit have 1/4" line running to feed the front discs? Can you use 1/4" line for discs?
And does the rear port on the prop valve feed the front breaks of the rear?

Thanks in advance!
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes
"Deeds will not be less valliant because they are unpraised." ~ Aragorn
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
Strider

Re: LMC truck front brake line set 1971 -1972 part # 34-5412

One more thing,

The LMC truck brass tee that they advertise and sell that goes with this front brake line kit part #30-1408 does not fit the 1/4" brake lines that are clearly meant for the front. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
MDPotter

A moderator can move this post to the main message board, you will get more exposure there.

But I'll answer what I can in the meantime and there are lots of other members that know more than I do. The rear port on the prop valve serves the rear brakes. The line coming from the prop valve for the front brakes should be 3/16" and it will run down to the tee and split into (2) 3/16" lines. Are you using a prop valve meant for a disc/drum combination? If so, you should just have one line from the prop valve for the front and one line for the rear.

Here's a link to a thread with a picture and some info: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640142

If you don't have the right parts, I would call LMC and have them walk you through it. They're most likely Inline Tube brake lines. I got a full brake line set from GMCPauls (distributor for Inline Tube) and they sent the wrong front to rear line, so it's not uncommon for the wrong lines to be sent out.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Strider

Did you ever sleep on something and then realize that maybe you were looking at it the wrong way? Yeah - shoulda looked at it different before posting this. I actually am intelligent, I promise.

Gonna flip flop the lines and see if it all goes together after work. Kinda jumped the gun on this one.

If anyone has any thoughts on LMC products please share and I'll update my progress asap.

Total face palm.

I'll blame it on watching too many Shakira videos.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
MDPotter

It happens. Maybe not the Shakira video watching, but the sleeping on it part.

In general, LMC's pricing is higher than most places. But LMC's catalogs are unmatched by anyone else. They have great diagrams that are helpful in assembly and figuring out what to order. But they aren't always accurate, so take it with a grain of salt. I only order from LMC if I can't find the part anywhere else or if their pricing is lowest. Like most retailers though, they're just resellers of the same parts.

I usually buy from Rock Auto, GMCPauls, or SOKY. There is also Classic Parts, Classic Industries, Brothers, and CPP to name a few. CPP tends to be on the high side too.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
A moderator can move this post to the main message board, you will get more exposure there.

But I'll answer what I can in the meantime and there are lots of other members that know more than I do. The rear port on the prop valve serves the rear brakes. The line coming from the prop valve for the front brakes should be 3/16" and it will run down to the tee and split into (2) 3/16" lines. Are you using a prop valve meant for a disc/drum combination? If so, you should just have one line from the prop valve for the front and one line for the rear.

Here's a link to a thread with a picture and some info: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640142

If you don't have the right parts, I would call LMC and have them walk you through it. They're most likely Inline Tube brake lines. I got a full brake line set from GMCPauls (distributor for Inline Tube) and they sent the wrong front to rear line, so it's not uncommon for the wrong lines to be sent out.
Thanks MDPotter for your reply and for getting this organized!

I have a disc/drum prop valve - and based on what you said and some more thought I believe I have this solved. Again I think I jumped the gun on the posting.
However your information about the line size and the front and back lines off the prop valve helps immensely!

Thanks again! If I have anymore questions I will post on here. And thanks for the links! Just a huge credit to why this forum is so amazing.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
It happens. Maybe not the Shakira video watching, but the sleeping on it part.

In general, LMC's pricing is higher than most places. But LMC's catalogs are unmatched by anyone else. They have great diagrams that are helpful in assembly and figuring out what to order. But they aren't always accurate, so take it with a grain of salt. I only order from LMC if I can't find the part anywhere else or if their pricing is lowest. Like most retailers though, they're just resellers of the same parts.

I usually buy from Rock Auto, GMCPauls, or SOKY. There is also Classic Parts, Classic Industries, Brothers, and CPP to name a few. CPP tends to be on the high side too.
I would agree on the sleeping on it part - gotta love Shakira too lol.

But seriously - LMC does have good diagrams - would be good if more places included some instructions sometimes. I've purchased from CPP, Rock Auto, Classic Industries, Brothers - not SOKY or GMC Pauls but I hear good things for sure. And yes it seems that LMC is just a reseller. I'll have to look around more next time and try out some of these other retailers.

Again thanks for this info. I sincerely appreciate it and your time.