The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Factory Guy

Female Electrical Plug?

Anybody know where I can get the FEMALE side of this Squarebody back of the instrument cluster plug?
Attached Images

Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
chengny

Re: Female Electrical Plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
Anybody know where I can get the FEMALE side of this Squarebody back of the instrument cluster plug?
There is no female connector (i.e. a plastic body with internal contacts) for the harness to plug into. The instrument panel casing has an indentation - that is sized/shaped to accept the male plug on the harness - and the various terminals on the printed circuit are bent down into the hole. A picture might be better:
Attached Images

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Pine Bark Auto

Just wondering as I have no knowledge of such a plug, do the replacement gauge clusters offered by Dakota Digital and others use the factory harness and if so, how does it connect? I doubt they would use a printed circuit like factory.
Pine Bark Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Bark Auto View Post
Just wondering as I have no knowledge of such a plug, do the replacement gauge clusters offered by Dakota Digital and others use the factory harness and if so, how does it connect? I doubt they would use a printed circuit like factory.
EXCELLENT POINT! I had not thought of that but I am sure somebody here can answer it though.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Bark Auto View Post
They use the harness, but you have to separate the wires from the plug and then individually insert them into terminals on the module that comes with the gauges.

Bubbe
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Pontiac1976

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLp4-RrI-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4kh13e--6E
So True not your plug and easy play. lol some wiring needed.
But you could pay to have the some one to scan your plug and the back of the cluster and make a 3D print of it then the female end would be done for all the after market gauge packs. you still have to re-pin the new female connector for you set up to match your truck wiring. So in this case it save your wiring but more work money time. Because there is too many difference between 73-90 gauges option(motors too) you may want. So you still going to have to wiring pining 1 or 2 connectors.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLp4-RrI-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4kh13e--6E
So True not your plug and easy play. lol some wiring needed.
But you could pay to have the some one to scan your plug and the back of the cluster and make a 3D print of it then the female end would be done for all the after market gauge packs. you still have to re-pin the new female connector for you set up to match your truck wiring. So in this case it save your wiring but more work money time. Because there is too many difference between 73-90 gauges option(motors too) you may want. So you still going to have to wiring pining 1 or 2 connectors.
True