The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Ctimrun

Looking for a truck - Where do I look

I owned a C10 a long time ago back before I was on the forums, was a nice driver quality truck, but sold it when kids came along. Now that the kids are (almost) gone I'm looking for another one. Still debating if I want to get a clean stock truck and mod it myself or drop the (extra) cash up front to buy one that's done or nearly done how I would like it.

I have looked at a lot of local trucks in SoCal, but haven't found anything that was interesting enough to buy yet.

On a recent trip to the Midwest I stopped by one of the large classic car dealers to check it out and I was embarrassed for them because the trucks they had were garbage for the prices they were asking. They also didn't know anything about the trucks, where they came from, who did the work on them, or have an documentation for them etc etc. I guess buying a classic car has changed over the years.

Anyone know anything about this truck? It's more than I was planning on spending, but not out of the question. Before I call on it was wondering if anyone here has looked at it or called on it or knows of a build thread here or anywhere else for it. Or maybe knows to just not waste my time with it.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...0/1896985.html

Does anyone know where quality trucks can be found? Maybe you have looked at one but passed on it for some reason.

Looking for a clean (preferably) shortbed 1967 or 1968 truck I can modernize with drivetrain, brakes, and suspension Am also open to 69-72 if it's the right truck. Ok - send me in the right direction. Thanks

Last edited by 70cst; 12-08-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Looking for a truck

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ndex.php?cat=8

Here s place where you can look

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
70cst

Re: Looking for a truck - Where do I look

Hey Ctimrun ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

Good luck on where to find a truck.

I have listed the Truck For Sale thread for you to check out ...

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 12-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Nice rig... but the day I spend $33,000 bucks on a truck... is, well... never. lol. For that much I'd be looking at '64-'67 GTO's or a 1961 Impala.

The prices for "classic" trucks nowadays is bonkers. I don't see anything special about that rig except the LS "Corvette" engine and Porterbuilt stuff. Seller is probably trying to recoup the cost of that engine and tranny in this sale.

You could yard a 1968 C10 out of a field, if not a short box, make it a short box, do the rust repair and body work, find a sweet deal on a 5.3L LS and tranny combo, Do some work to the interior and replace some suspension and brake parts, and have a REALLY nice paint job for under $15,000 bucks.

But that's me...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
LongBox

While the one on Hemmings is a nice truck, I'm not sure it is worth the asking price. Hate to talk about it on the forum, might be a member's truck? For that price, I think you can find one with factory air, and not modified, which apparently makes them worth more in the market.

I wonder why a person would buy a truck like this one, go to all the trouble to make it just the way they want it, then sell it? Could be lots of good reasons, I guess, but it still is a question I'd ask the seller.

These 67-72s are out there, just follow the "Craigslist Finds" thread, and keep your eyes open where you live and hang out.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
TXBoudy

I purchased mine this year from Craigslist. I followed my area and the surrounding areas for months until something popped up in the next state to me. They come and go, usually quickly for the good ones but they do show up consistently.

Boudy
TXBoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Ctimrun

Thanks for the warm welcome! Have been looking at the classifieds here for a while, but just recently registered to the site. I should have put more info in my post. Living in SoCal pretty much eliminates the possibility of picking up a "barn find" truck for a decent deal, then fixing it up in my garage with a nice paint job for $15K. Just not going to happen in SoCal for a number of reasons.

It would probably cost me $15K for a truck I would even want to bother with, then the costs to make it what I want would go up from there since everything around here costs more. Body and paint work here is outrageous, most all the shops think they are doing Foose quality work and charge accordingly. One more reason I want out of California, but the timing is not right for us yet.

The ONLY good thing about SoCal is I am able to make a lot more money here than anywhere else I would want to live, so when the time comes for us to bug out of here my money will take us a lot farther elsewhere. Well, that and the weather.

Back to the truck. Any truck would definitely have to be something special for me to spend that much, and that price would have to be negotiable for it to be a possibility. If it was the right truck, and I guess the right circumstances, I would pay a few thousand more.

I guess like everyone else I am looking for the right truck so my family and I can enjoy it together.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
Ctimrun

Should have also added, I do not have any body work skills, or equipment, or place here in SoCal to do this type of work without the EPA hall monitors (my neighbors) calling the authorities because of the dust I would be making or the police because I would be disturbing their "peace" with power equipment running.

Did I mention I want out of SoCal?! I do have a plan in place that I am currently working on but will be a few years in the works.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
jocko

Buy the truck before you leave - pickins get slimmer as you head east.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
clay68c10

I'd start looking in the Rocky Mountain west and south west.
I'm up in Wyoming a lot and I still see fairly clean stockers up there.
You could buy one that's decent looking and make it pretty after you move out of Cali. I know a couple of paint and body guys locally that can do a nice paint job with quality body work for 4-6k
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Welcome and not sure what you are looking for but everyone seems to want short boxes these days so here is a reasonably priced decent truck.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5854961686.html

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 12-08-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
Overdriven

I'd avoid Hemmings, it's mostly dealers and either way the prices are on the higher end. That one you posted is still a dealer. Sounds like you have some change to play with if you're considering that truck. If I was in your situation I'd keep an eye on eBay, Craigslist (use searchtempest.com to search larger areas/nationally) and plan to visit an auction.

My dad watches Mecum and the other one, there are deals to be had. Visit their websites, check what the inventory and if you see something you like make the trip. They hold auctions in various places and it could be a vacation/truck shopping trip.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
blue 72 gmc 4x4

For these trucks...everywhere! Out west that is...
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
raggedjim

Maybe contact C/10 King on here, he seems to find nice trucks and may be able to help you.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #15
demian5

Drive around and look in older neighborhoods. I picked mine up from my Dads neighbor.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
70cst

http://mikesrebuildables.com/car/view/1/894

I was searching through "Truck Trader" The truck was located in Celina Tn. - At Mike Rebuidables Auto Sales -

There are still similar magazines which advertises used collectable cars and trucks.

I will show the before and after of my 70 C10- Good luck with your search.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #17
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctimrun View Post
Should have also added, I do not have any body work skills, or equipment, or place here in SoCal to do this type of work without the EPA hall monitors (my neighbors) calling the authorities because of the dust I would be making or the police because I would be disturbing their "peace" with power equipment running.

Did I mention I want out of SoCal?! I do have a plan in place that I am currently working on but will be a few years in the works.
Ctimrun, are you looking to buy one done the way you want? It sounds like you will have a lot of resistance to building one.
And it can be less expensive to buy one finished than building one. Plus you have instant gratification with enjoying the finished truck.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
Ctimrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Ctimrun, are you looking to buy one done the way you want? It sounds like you will have a lot of resistance to building one.
And it can be less expensive to buy one finished than building one. Plus you have instant gratification with enjoying the finished truck.
Yes that's basically where I am at right now in life. As mentioned above don't have a place to do it plus I currently don't have the time either, working too much to take on a major project. Small projects like swapping to discs and the like would be fine and something I could tackle where I'm at.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #19
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctimrun View Post
Yes that's basically where I am at right now in life. As mentioned above don't have a place to do it plus I currently don't have the time either, working too much to take on a major project. Small projects like swapping to discs and the like would be fine and something I could tackle where I'm at.
I went through the same last year, though I was looking for a 67 - 72 Suburban done the way I wanted. It took 6 months and I found the one I was looking for for my wife. A friend through this forum knew I was looking for one and found it for me before it was listed for sale.

As mentioned above, use search tempest. Put the word out to your car buddies. Make friends here and they can help look. If you have a smart phone load the Craigspro app and set search notifies for what you are looking for. It will search and alert when something is listed.

I would think you are in a good place for finding a truck. All the Suburbans I found that interested me were in California or Texas...pretty far from IL.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #20
ufbugman

I'll sell you mine, I'm about to retire and travel don't need it anymore
ufbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #21
DarkFlounder

If you're willing to travel a few states over, check out Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada listings. Bargains can be found in California, I picked up my daily driver in the SF Bay. Project (destroyed bed and driver door, but repairable rust and solid running gear).
Old 12-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
HO455
Post Whore

Check out the Craigs list posting thread and post some photos here of what your looking for and I'm sure folks will keep a eye open. And let us know how far your willing to travel. I'm in Portland and see lots of these trucks on C/L here. Barely a day goes by I don't see one driving around town.
Good luck and tell us how you do.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote