The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Repairing the Generation II armrest

This is perhaps the most simple straightforward repair ive done yet. I used the kit sold on ebay through S10 warehouse and did my repair. The first couple of pictures show you the armrest ( the seats are out of the truck in my report, but it doest matter if they are in the truck or not as all you need to do is remove the armtest or console cover and then do the work in your shop, garage, tailgate or living room like i did) and the single tin piece that one could probably make themselves if they have access to a bender. The piece I bought was very well designed to fit the contours of the armrest and did not require any kind of shaping or trimming.
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 02-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Repairing the Generation II armrest

The kit does not come with any kind of mounting hardware so I had a couple of phillips head trim screws and a couple of small pan head screws with washers and nuts that I would use to secure the plate in there.
I set the piece of broken plastic in place then i set the patch in there and about equal distance from each side I marked with a sharpie where i thought holes should be and marked them. I then proceeded to drill the holes through the metal patch panel. I placed the patch into the armrest lid then applied pressure to the patch so I could determine where the holes were needed for the two screws and nuts that go through the thin plastic wall of the cover between the front and rear sections.
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I then made the holes in between the front and rear sections of the armrest cover. Once these holes were made i took the dremel and cleaned off the burrs made by the drill.
I took the patch panel and painted it up with some rustoleum spray paint matte black
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I took black silicone and made a design on the inside of the lid then placed the patch panel in the lid. I attached the front section first using the nuts and bolts. I put the heads of the bolts towards the smaller section or front of the lid. I also used a flat washer on the patch panel side of the lid and tightended them down hand tight. I took the trim screws which would self thread in the other side and pushed down hard ont he patch panel and screwed them in.
Once this was done I took the silicone and caulked around the edges of the patch to make it look more finished.

Once this was done , I reinstalled the lid on the armrest and its done,
I may try to find a piece of black vynal or the sticky anti friction tape stuff and install that to give a more finished and original look. Im also going to go back and touch up the paint on the screw heads.

Now if i could get a break from the weather, I could install the seats in my truck
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks for this rusty! I never even thought to repair my broken armrest...just alway kept cd cases in there so I could use it.

I have a horrible habit of using my elbow off the armrest to get out of my s10 (which is my daily driver)...do you think this piece alone will be enough to support that?

Do you also think the price of the peice was worth it, or would making your own be a better route?