The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
rfmaster

New rag joint issues

I had a day off today and tackled swapping out old steering box for a completely rebuild one. Along the way a front end brake and bearing repack job. Not bad for an afternoon.

The swap was straight forward except after flashing and priming power steering system I have strange binding when I turn steering wheel. I have replaced rag joint with a brand new one - is it possible that new rag joint could be causing binding when I turn steering wheel??? Is this temporary - due to new rag joint stiffness???

New and old steering boxes side by side:

Old box before being removed

I could not complete job due to small leak - high pressure hose fitting was leaking at inlet port - annoying little things.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
SS Delux

Re: New rag joint issues

is it possible you connected the lines backwards ? are you able to get any steering out of it ?
SS Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
datguysaL

what exactly do u mean by "binding". what does it feel like? it wont turn, its hard to turn, it turns one way and not the other???
datguysaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by datguysaL View Post
what exactly do u mean by "binding". what does it feel like? it wont turn, its hard to turn, it turns one way and not the other???
Power steering is working fine - I have boost to turn wheels standing still without too much effort. The 'binding problem' manifest itself only over a small portion of the steering wheel turning 360 degree ~ say about about 5 degrees out 360. Amount of effort to turn steering wheel increases and then it drops off - this what I am calling binding. It is also present in both directions - L to R and R to L in about the same spots. Tomorrow, I'll check if occurs once every 360 and number of times between full left to full right.

It is physically not possible to connect PS lines backwards - line fittings are different.

//RF

Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

RF, did it do this before the swap out? Physical positioning of the boxes is the same, so the likelyhood of the rag being defective in some way is remote. I would disconnect the joint and pull it back and then try to turn the wheels and see if it still has a binding condition. If at that point it does, and it didn't before, the overcenter adjustment is wrong (the nut\bolt assembly on top of the steering gear) loosen the nut just a touch while holding the stud still with an allen wrench, then back the stud out 1\8 to 1\4 turn and tighten the nut and recheck. There should be a slight drag or tightness when the box is centered (vehicle going straight ahead) Of course I am assuming you have checked ALL the other joints\connections in the front end. I might add, if it's 4WD, take a look at the front drive axel "U" loints. I don't know how many of those I replaced over the years, and they will cause all sorts of funny symptoms with the steering system. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
RF, did it do this before the swap out? Physical positioning of the boxes is the same, so the likelyhood of the rag being defective in some way is remote. I would disconnect the joint and pull it back and then try to turn the wheels and see if it still has a binding condition. If at that point it does, and it didn't before, the overcenter adjustment is wrong (the nut\bolt assembly on top of the steering gear) loosen the nut just a touch while holding the stud still with an allen wrench, then back the stud out 1\8 to 1\4 turn and tighten the nut and recheck. There should be a slight drag or tightness when the box is centered (vehicle going straight ahead) Of course I am assuming you have checked ALL the other joints\connections in the front end. I might add, if it's 4WD, take a look at the front drive axel "U" loints. I don't know how many of those I replaced over the years, and they will cause all sorts of funny symptoms with the steering system. Jim
Thanks Jim

My truck is 2 wheel drive so I do not have front U joints to worry about. The two steering boxes are identical (same casting number) and the new unit was mounted in the same mounting location. Steering with the old unit did not bind, but it felt very loose - lots of free play in the steering wheel. Yesterday, after completing swap I went for a short test drive - truck runs straight and steering looseness was gone, but now I have a bind when I turn (L or R).

I'll check if binding is rag joint related by disconnecting steering shaft (easy), jacking front end and moving wheels by hand from L to R and back. My steering box re-builder specifically advised me against touching that adjustment nut. The unit was fully tested before shipped out. I'll give him a call see what he has to say about it. Oh yea, my rag joint was made by Dorman Part # 31015.

//RF

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
DaSchlange

I have the same problem right now and I plan on trying to get it fixed by the end of the week or so. Gotta give the woman a ride in the new truck sometime. The new steering rag joint I got tooka little work to get on, but I think it was due to maybe a slightly wrong assembly or it is too far against the gear box causing it to rub...
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
joe231

From ybe pic the angle of your steering column looks pretty steep, ie: not in line with the box. I'm guessing the binding is happening at a certain spot in the rotation and is noticeable due to the new stiff rag joint...
You could try swapping the old joint back on to see if it goes away. The bolts on the new rag aren't hitting on the gear box, are they?
I'm not sure if you can change the steering column angle, maybe it's normal? I'll look at mine...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I was just thinking that about the angle of the column because of the body lift and the new rag joint.

cheapest simplest thing to do would be to try the old joint and see what happens like joe said.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote