The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2021, 12:45 AM   #576
Asshat

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
He is going to get back to me on the part number of the lower ball joint. No he did not buy a kit. There is no need for that when you can simply buy all the parts at your local auto parts store except for the spindles. As far as I know it is just a '73-'87 C20 lower ball joint........they are all the same.
Where do you get the spindles? Wrecking yard?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #577
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
Where do you get the spindles? Wrecking yard?
It will probably be fairly easy to get them from a junkyard type place. Maybe you'll get lucky and get some with good calipers and rotors

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #578
SCOTI

When you get the spindle assemblies, get the Center-Link/Drag-Link in case you need it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 PM   #579
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Whether you find the donor truck in a wrecking yard or from a private party, that is the easiest, simplest and most cost effective way to upgrade to power steering and brakes. There is no need to make it more difficult than it is. Unless you just have to have that $$$ aftermarket conversion kit.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #580
Asshat

Quote:
Whether you find the donor truck in a wrecking yard or from a private party, that is the easiest, simplest and most cost effective way to upgrade to power steering and brakes. There is no need to make it more difficult than it is. Unless you just have to have that $$$ aftermarket conversion kit.
Curious abut the bracket for the power steering pump - is there one available for the 292?
Old 01-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #581
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Curious abut the bracket for the power steering pump - is there one available for the 292?
Look here:

https://davisspeedequipment.com/prod...y/1975-89-292/

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #582
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That link to Davis speed was posted a couple weeks ago in your own thread you started

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Old 01-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #583
Asshat

The truck shop has these spindles for a C20, $279.
That’s not too expensive, right?
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2021, 10:42 PM   #584
Asshat

I also noticed they have conversion spindles, but only for C10.

A C20 rotor will not fit on a C10 spindle?
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2021, 01:07 AM   #585
cwcarpenter98

Those stock height spindles are the same as ones you can find from a junkyard truck. You can probably get junkyard spindles for $50-$100 depending on what all you purchase along with. IMO, there's no need to buy new, stock height spindles. If the bearing surface of the spindle looks good and clean, it will last a long time as long as you keep the bearings nice and greasy

No, a c20 rotor will not fit on a c10 spindle

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #586
Asshat

I’m starting to re-think this, maybe I should convert my rear end to 5 lug (it is currently a 1983 C20 14 bolt 8 lug). Then change the front to the spindles for 5 lug.
This would be easily, right?
Old 02-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #587
SCOTI

Quote:
I’m starting to re-think this, maybe I should convert my rear end to 5 lug (it is currently a 1983 C20 14 bolt 8 lug). Then change the front to the spindles for 5 lug.
This would be easily, right?
It's just as easy as leaving it 8-lug. It all depends on what you ultimately want and/or need.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #588
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It's just as easy as leaving it 8-lug. It all depends on what you ultimately want and/or need.
It doesn’t matter to me, in the end, if the truck was 5 lug or 8 lug. It just seems that there are so many more parts available for the 5 lug setups. Such as wheels, etc.

The goal is to have disc brakes and power steering.
Really trying to find the least expensive and simplest way to do a disc brake conversion and power steering upgrade. Want to look at the big picture rather than just one aspect of the goal.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #589
SCOTI

Quote:
It doesn’t matter to me, in the end, if the truck was 5 lug or 8 lug. It just seems that there are so many more parts available for the 5 lug setups. Such as wheels, etc.

Really trying to find the least expensive and simplest way to do a disc brake conversion and power steering upgrade. Want to look at the big picture rather than just one aspect of the goal.
Definitely more choices for 5-lug setups if you don't need the heavier-duty capability of a 3/4 ton truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #590
Asshat

Quote:

I am estimating to convert my 63 C20 to FRONT disc brakes, it would cost about $550, if I purchased new spindles.
$300 Spindles (NEW from the truck shop)
$100 Rotors (NEW Rock Auto)
$60 Calipers (NEW Rock Auto)
$25 Brake Pads (NEW Rock Auto)
$50 Misc tie rods, ball joints

I guess I may as well keep it all 8-lug, since it would probably cost a lot more to convert to the 5 lug. And, i could keep the rear setup as drums for a while.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #591
SCOTI

Quote:
I am estimating to convert my 63 C20 to FRONT disc brakes, it would cost about $550, if I purchased new spindles.
$300 Spindles (NEW from the truck shop)
$100 Rotors (NEW Rock Auto)
$60 Calipers (NEW Rock Auto)
$25 Brake Pads (NEW Rock Auto)
$50 Misc tie rods, ball joints

I guess I may as well keep it all 8-lug, since it would probably cost a lot more to convert to the 5 lug. And, i could keep the rear setup as drums for a while.
An 8-lug disc swap should be fairly easy to do from a wrecking yard donor or other used sources. That being said, sometimes time is money & new stuff can ultimately get you to the goal-line faster.

I usually try the used/dismantlers as my first option if it's an upgrade requiring 'supporting' pieces (clips, backing plates, hardware) that you usually can't get with 'new' aftermarket parts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #592
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

To change the rear to 5 lug you will either have to find a different rear end and change that AGAIN, or spend about $400-500 on a set of custom axles for your 9.5" 14 bolt.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #593
Asshat

Regarding the PS gear, I was considering one from Rock Auto, like this one. It is 3 to 3-1/4 turns. Would this be ok to use? Special idler arm required? My front cross member is from a 1974 C20, so I am planning on ordering tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm and steering gear from a 1974 pickup.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=908&jsn=908

Regarding the PS pump - there seems to be pumps that had a reservoir and others that did not. Can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of both?
Also, that PS bracket for the 292 seems to have a lot of different configurations; the website from Davis Speed Equipment shows different water pump options from 75-89. Can I run a different waterpump on my 292? Is that the only advanctage/requirement, capability of runnig the PS pump?

And, do I need a PS control valve?
Old 02-22-2021, 11:13 PM   #594
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What is the application for that steering box? In 1980 the fitting style changed from SAE to Metric with an o-ring. If you want to use the entire '74 steering linkage, you must locate, drill holes and bolt up the '74 C20 idler arm. I do not have a template for the C20 idler arm, only the C10 idler arm. Just get ps pump with an integral reservoir. Does Davis Speed Equip not have the PS pump brackets for the early 292 like you have?
Old 02-23-2021, 04:40 AM   #595
Asshat

Quote:
What is the application for that steering box? In 1980 the fitting style changed from SAE to Metric with an o-ring. If you want to use the entire '74 steering linkage, you must locate, drill holes and bolt up the '74 C20 idler arm. I do not have a template for the C20 idler arm, only the C10 idler arm. Just get ps pump with an integral reservoir. Does Davis Speed Equip not have the PS pump brackets for the early 292 like you have?
That PS pump that I pasted is for a 74 C20, with a 292.
I don’t think Davis has what I need - I just want the stock PS pump bracket. They have some strange configurations and it looks like I would have to change my water pump.

I have the front frame section that the C20 front clip came from, so I should be able to make a template for the idler arm.

I’m just trying to confirm, if I buy all the PS pump, gear and hoses for a 74 C20, it will work. Is this a pretty safe conclusion?
Old 02-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #596
Asshat

Quote:
So, if I am correct, it seems this bracket from Davis will work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10004-PS-PO....m46890.l49292

Saw this on eBay, seems like the best option.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #597
lowroder

What's everyone using on 62 c10s.
I'm looking to upgrade mine an not sure to go dropped spindle an disc brakes or go with a swap.
Keeping original 6cyl.
An wanting to lower it all around. Keeping it all 6 lug.
lowroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #598
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowroder View Post
What's everyone using on 62 c10s.
I'm looking to upgrade mine an not sure to go dropped spindle an disc brakes or go with a swap.
Keeping original 6cyl.
An wanting to lower it all around. Keeping it all 6 lug.
If you want it lower & want to upgrade to disc brakes, drop spindles are a good choice. Drop from the raised spindle pin height doesn't negatively impact spring travel & they're disc brake ready. Just search for a 'kit' for your model & go from there.

Check out the disc brake conversion posts in the FAQ --> Suspension section of the web site.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #599
Asshat

Does anyone know the tolerance for C20 brake rotor thickness? One of my rotors is gouged.
Hope I don’t have to buy new rotors - these are expensive!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #600
Asshat

For your reading enjoyment...

Is a Master Cylinder Change Required in Drum to Disk Conversion?
We have been asked a number of times if there is such a thing as a manual disk brake conversion kit? The simple answer is yes. The power booster component almost exclusively affects how your brake pedal "feels" to you under foot.

In a situation where your classic car has multiple drivers, some of whom are used to the "foot feel" of power brakes - maybe they spend most of their time driving a newer car or light truck - a power-assisted brake pedal can makes it easier to go between vehicles. The power booster allows you to maintain relative consistency with how much pressure to apply when stopping either of the two vehicles.

You DO NOT NEED to upgrade or convert to a power assisted apply system, however, when making the upgrade to disc from drum brakes. Recently, we got an email from a customer planning on making that drum to disc brake conversion but interested in sticking with a manual set-up.

"Dave" has a '66 GTO he uses as a daily driver and wanted the enhanced performance and stopping ability of disc brakes. But as the sole driver of the car, Dave was comfortable with the pedal effort the manual brakes currently required and wanted to keep that same level of brake feel.

His question centered around the fact that he had bought a master cylinder approximately five years ago in an effort to make the car safer by getting rid of the single bowl master cylinder. At that point, he was only concerned with that safety factor of the master cylinder. Things change and now he is interested in converting over the last step of safer brakes and going with a disc brake conversion kit. We were able to go back and look at his previous purchases and did find out that we had in fact sold him the proper master cylinder that will allow him to keep the same master cylinder while doing the disc brake conversion.

Let's assume for a minute though that we didn't have access to Dave's previous purchase. How can you tell if your master is appropriately sized to operate a new (disc brake) system? The bore size is critical when selecting a master cylinder for use in either a power or manual apply brake system. The wrong size master cylinder added to a power assist set-up could actually provide for a pedal feel that is even harder than what a well working manual system would ever provide. Measuring a master cylinder bore size is actually quite easy for most folks. A quality ruler is generally all that is needed. After pulling the master cylinder forward on the studs, measure the inside of the bore on the back of the master cylinder. In general - the smaller the bore size, the more line pressure you will have in the system at a particular pedal effort. Conversely, larger bore size gives less movement of calipers for the same foot pressure and therefore almost always translates into what most would consider a hard pedal.

Here comes a pitch for calling in an expert to ask the question. With your measurement in hand, call us at 1-800-382-9772 and ask the question: “will this be appropriately sized for my vehicle?” We're here to help you appropriately size brake components.

https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/master...isk-conversion