The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Tony71c10

Electrical issue/help

So I installed an electrical fan on my 84 swap and used the pink wire to supply the 12v key power to the relay from the bulkhead. Fan turn on and off with the key. The issue im having is if I turn on the lights and flip the turn signal to the right the fan turns on without the key. If I unplug the column connector its back normal. I been trying to figure the wire diagrams but electrical is not my strong area. I also noticed that emergency flasher won't work with the lights on. Thinking it is all related.
Tony71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
Tony71c10

Re: Electrical issue/help

So I have a test light and tested for current. When I turn on lights the grey wire that goes to the cluster has power which is normal because is the lights 12v. But the dark blue cable (right turn) also has power. So it getting 12v from somewhere.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Headlight switch is what changes the power to the lights. Not sure about your fan issue. Are you running the fans thru a relay and just using the pink lead as exciter lead?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Tony71c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony71c10 View Post
So I installed an electrical fan on my 84 swap and used the pink wire to supply the 12v key power to the relay from the bulkhead. Fan turn on and off with the key. The issue im having is if I turn on the lights and flip the turn signal to the right the fan turns on without the key. If I unplug the column connector its back normal. I been trying to figure the wire diagrams but electrical is not my strong area. I also noticed that emergency flasher won't work with the lights on. Thinking it is all related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Headlight switch is what changes the power to the lights. Not sure about your fan issue. Are you running the fans thru a relay and just using the pink lead as exciter lead?
Running a relay. Might be 2 seperate issues. I have 12v to both the grey and blue wire when the lights are on. My right turn signal and emergency lights won't work with the lights on. But every thing works with lights off. I disconnected the turn signal plug but still have 12v to the blue (right) wire. I'm taking the 12v reading and the cluster plug. Without the gauges installed. I also un pin the blue wire from the plug just to eliminate the possibility of it being the plug. The left turn light blue wire doesn't have any current.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

This may help some. It appears the pink lead feeds the fuse box and one of theose feeds goes to the dark blue wire which feed the flasher and eventually ends up thru headlight switch and up to your right turn/park lights.

Maybe you should get your fan pwr from one of the open switched connectors on the fuse box. Your fan wiring I think Is just giving another path for the blue wire to go to to get a ground.

Just a guess, but all I can think of at the moment.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
Tony71c10

I disconnected the pink wire from the relays. But the right turn signal and emergency flasher still don't work with the lights on
Old 01-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #7
Dead Parrot

Rule 1 for weird automotive electrical issues is verify that all grounds are good.
Rule 2 is check for corrosion.

After 30+ years, it is a rare turn signal or head light that doesn't have one or more corrosion issues. Especially for wires ran to ground screws. Most grounds involve bare metal and star washers that often react poorly to years of salt and moisture.

A lot of automotive circuits share wires and if a ground is bad, the current will back feed though a 2nd device to find a ground.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote