The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
EVRLET

Secondary Air Injection Solenoid

I have a 98 Tahoe with a secondary air injection system. Can someone tell me where the vacuum source for the solenoid is coming from? My solenoid only has the vacuum line to the control valve. The other vacuum port on the solenoid is vented to atmosphere.

I do not have a vacuum leak or an open vacuum port. I think whoever worked on this last removed the solenoid vacuum source line and tee that it ran into for whatever reason. So without a vacuum source to the solenoid, the control valve won’t open to let pump air into the exhaust stream, thus triggering the 410 code. I can tee into any vacuum line, but I really wanted to know how the factory routed the vacuum line.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
b454rat

Re: Secondary Air Injection Solenoid

Where is it located? I have a 98 Tahoe, never heard of one before...
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
EVRLET

Air pumps, smog pumps, were used in vehicles that were bought and/or used in states with strict emission standards. My Tahoe was a California fleet vehicle, thus the air pump. The pump, solenoid and control valve sits behind the driver’s headlight. Most non-air pump trucks have a storage box there
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
b454rat

I thought NYS was 2nd to Cali for emissions. I've never seen one of those. My 08 Tundra had it. I got lucky and just one pump went bad, but it would trip the CEL and put it in limp mode. And good ol' NYS, anything 02 n newer can't have the CEL on to pass inspection. Cost me $200-something to get the bypass from Hewitt...been fine ever since...
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
EVRLET

I went to the dealership and they gave me this printout. While it doesn’t tell me where the long, skinny vacuum hose goes to, I hope this post helps someone in the future. I’m just going to tee in to a vacuum line and be done.
Attached Images