The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #751
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

pics of the hood.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #752
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I've almost completed all the mechanical and wiring of the truck. I have been working heavily on body work right now. I've been working on stripping the outsides of the door panels. I've also repatched the gas fill hole after a complete fail with the aftermarket patch I wasted $10 on. I cut it out and made my own patch. It worked out much better.
Looking good! What method are you using to strip the doors? It looks even and clean.
The gas fill repair 2.0 looks better, too!

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #753
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
Looking good! What method are you using to strip the doors? It looks even and clean.
The gas fill repair 2.0 looks better, too!
Thanks. I used my 5" random orbit disk sander with 80 grit. Then did a little sanding by blocks and 120 grit. These doors are in extremely good condition on the outside. I will be media blasting the insides and after I cut the bottom inside rust out I will media blast the insides before patching things back up. I really prefer to large panels by hand rather than media blasting. I can get a better feel for any problem areas as I strip them. As for the gas fill, I had some left over steel from my cab corner patch that I was able to form the bends with a little tweaking here and there and a light skim coat of filler.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #754
pdxhall

I have given up on the hood patch for now. I have tried several times to patch it and I just can't get a pesky warp out. I have covered it up so I won't keep obsessing about it. If anybody has a scrap hood laying around that has a good passenger rear corner piece I will pay a fair price for it.
So I am moving ahead for now. I decided to start on the doors. passenger side first. I removed the door, inspected what was needed on the bottom, and cut it out and fitted up the patch. it seems to fit fairly well with a small amount of adjustment. So now it's time to media blast the rest of the door inside and out, and epoxy prime before welding in the patch. I have to go out and pick up more crushed glass media before I start. We're having some wind and rain moving through so I'm also waiting for better weather.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #755
roll_the_dice

Sometimes you just have to step back and take a break! I have many times hit my head against the wall...stopped waiting and then it all made sense and I got done what I needed.

Door looks good...that is about the only thing I still need to do to mine...but I am enjoying driving it too much to take the door off. haha
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #756
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Sometimes you just have to step back and take a break! I have many times hit my head against the wall...stopped waiting and then it all made sense and I got done what I needed.

Door looks good...that is about the only thing I still need to do to mine...but I am enjoying driving it too much to take the door off. haha
Thanks. This was supposed to be my last body work and I was going to wait until I got on the road before starting them. But now I have this hood thing going on I decided to go ahead with the doors.
Yesterday I decided to cut up the driver door bottom and prep it for blasting. It's such a messy job I figure I will do both doors while I'm at it. I'll post some progress pics later.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #757
pdxhall

I've got the driver door bottom cut out. It is not as bad as the pass. side. I'm still working on it but as soon as our winter weather here in Tucson improves I'll be media blasting both doors. I got my LED tail light and front turn signal lights a couple of days ago. I installed and tested the front lights even though I haven't got them installed and they are real nice. The tail lights are another story, first try after installing the LEDs and I have no power going to the rear. I need to trouble shoot but I don't anticipate anything serious.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #758
SkinnyG

Nice to see drains in those patches. Mine didn't come with drains; I had to put them in.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #759
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Nice to see drains in those patches. Mine didn't come with drains; I had to put them in.
I noticed that on your build page. These are tri-plus pieces and the fit is very nice. Not perfect but an easy adjustment. Right now I'm waiting for nicer weather so I can do some blasting and move ahead with this project.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #760
pdxhall

Here are a few more pics of the pass. door. I blasted the entire inside and then coated the inside with rust reformer and then a coat of Eastwood rust encapsulater the patch has been tack welded on. test fitted to make sure it fit. Now I will finish welding it up and then the outside gets epoxy. I'm also at the same point with the drivers door. pics to follow.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #761
Android04

Looking good!
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #762
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
Looking good!
Thanks for compliment.
Here are the pics of the drivers door. There is much less surface rust on the inside and the corners are better. Same procedure as the other door. The one shot shows the pie cuts and manipulation to make the sides match up. The corners on the original are sharper than the patch so I had to get them to blend together. I had to do this on both doors. Now that I've checked the fit I get to finish weld the whole thing.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2021, 11:07 PM   #763
cwcarpenter98

Your repairs are lookin' great! Having doors without giant holes in the bottom is so nice. There's considerably less road noise even without adding any sound deadening

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #764
roll_the_dice

I've got to repair the bottom of my doors...I just got my welding setup...time to start practicing before I do the doors. What adjustments did you have to do to the bottom patch panel to make it work better? Love the drain holes!
Old 02-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #765
pdxhall

Quote:
I've got to repair the bottom of my doors...I just got my welding setup...time to start practicing before I do the doors. What adjustments did you have to do to the bottom patch panel to make it work better? Love the drain holes!
The patches on the sides had a more rounded edges where it joined the side of the doors which have a sharper 90 deg edge . I had to make a few pie cuts to blend things together. the rest fit together very well and they came with drain holes.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #766
pdxhall

I've got the welding and grinding done on the inner patches of both doors. I am going to get some epoxy primer on both sides of them before before continuing. So I'm working on setting them up to spray today. I'm also trying to set up scaffolding of sorts so I can get to the front of the roof to start installation of the roof lights.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #767
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Looking good!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #768
pdxhall

Well, I've been real lazy about posting my progress but I have made a lot of progress and I've tried to check in on others work almost daily. By the way. thanks Karl. I have the doors epoxy primed and ready to continue with some more bodywork, I made a redneck scaffolding and got my roof lights wired, and I revisited my attempt to fix the passenger side rear corner of the hood that I totally botched the first attempt. It was so bad I'm embarrassed to show pics so I covered it up with a rag so I would quit being obsessed about it and let it go. My biggest dilemma was finding a patch. Trying to find a decent hood patch was not working out. I decided to cut out the bad patching job while looking for a solution. There are a lot of complex curves involved so I just didn't want to tackle fabricating what I needed.
So I'm sitting looking at the hole in the hood and I had an idea. If you take the cowl extension from the opposite side that you are working on, you can drill a few spot welds out (this gives you a perfect back lip) and then carefully cut the rest of the brackets including the extension. This gave me an almost perfect 12"x12" patch for the corner. I'd be surprised if nobody has thought of this but it worked out great. I had a bigger area that I needed to replace. I still had pieces of my donor hood to extend the patch another 3" or so. I welded the patches together and also used a piece to extend the bottom lip(the cowl extension has about a half inch lip so I welded a piece in to extend the lip to match the rest of the lip). I am very happy with the fit and I started to tack things in place. Here are some pics of the project.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #769
roll_the_dice

Brilliant idea about the cowls! How did you wire the lights? Are they wired to your regular lighting or do you have a separate switch?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:33 PM   #770
cwcarpenter98

Necessity is the mother of invention right?

The new patch looks great! Once it's done, no one will know that it was from the cowl unless you tell them

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:20 AM   #771
pdxhall

Quote:
Brilliant idea about the cowls! How did you wire the lights? Are they wired to your regular lighting or do you have a separate switch?
I'm still amazed at how well it worked and I got the cowl free from my great neighbor James. He's the guy that gave me the donor hood. I spliced into the taillight wiring running down the frame rail below
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention right?

The new patch looks great! Once it's done, no one will know that it was from the cowl unless you tell them
Thanks Christian.
I finished the welding on the hood today except the bottom edge. Since I don't posses the ability to weld upside down. I'll take care of it when the hood comes off for paint.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #772
pdxhall

I've got the entire top of the hood to strip, bodywork, and epoxy.
Here are some pics of the wiring of the roof lights and my scaffolding (what a crazy setup but it worked) made with my extension ladder. One end on my workbench and the end held up by my overhead by my crane and various straps to stabilize that end. It worked fine to get to the front of the roof. I had totally given up on snaking the power wire from the roof down into the cab. I mean every possible way and with no luck. I made an executive decision to go ahead and drill the hole in the roof where the center light power wire is and work from there. After drilling the hole it took about 10 minutes of fishing around and I was able to run the wire down the rear driver corner where the courtesy light comes down. I was then able to to get the other two lights wired. I've got the connectors hooked up so all I have to do is plug in the pigtails when I mount the lights. I need to drill a few more holes to mount the lights. I've got LED bulbs and new pigtails for the lights and I've got some gasket material on order to go between the light assembly and the roof. I hope it works.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #773
ElReeso

One crazy thread with very helpful information! Subbed!
ElReeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #774
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReeso View Post
One crazy thread with very helpful information! Subbed!
Thanks for looking in.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #775
clemdaddy

Killer idea on using the cowl corners to fix the hood... consider it stolen.
Great work my friend, stay after it.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote