The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #51
msgross

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

bigtime score on those seats and console!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #52
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
bigtime score on those seats and console!
I couldn't agree more!!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #53
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Is it yours yet? I hope so!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #54
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Is it yours yet? I hope so!
I hope so too, but I wasn't able to get ahold of the guy today. Just wasn't answering the phone. This score will be the score that beats all other scores.

Anyway, machine shop got the parts today for the short block, so I should be able to pick it up later this week.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #55
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Man I hope you can save it
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #56
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It's mine! $450 for the whole deal. He even knows the history on it, partially. A guy he knows locally bought it some years back because it was straight and clean. It sat a while because the engine was bad, then he replaced it. Looked like a typical GM crate motor, 2 barrel carb and had HEI. He drove it a while, but then it sat for a few years. By the time the junkyard guy looked at it, the engine wouldn't turn over. He thought it may be from sitting nose down on an incline and got some water in the carb, but in any case, the owner said it ran and drove good before it was parked. So with my short block transferred in, the front end missing parts from my current wreck and some maintenance items, I may have myself a pretty dam good start for a K5.

Whatever I can't use between the two rigs will be sold. I think both tops are very good and hopefully the windshield frame is good on both. If you guys have seen parts from the green Jimmy that you want, and I don't think I'll need, PM me. I don't want this thread to become a for sale posting. When I'm ready, I'll post stuff on the parts board and ebay, but not here.

Now I need to make a few calls on how to get a salvage title.

Signiture updated,
Mike

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-26-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #57
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Congrats!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #58
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Thats Sweet Not A Bad Deal At All
Old 06-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #59
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Picked up the crank and block from the machine shop today. I was very lucky. The cylinders measured out OK, so I got by with a cleaning, honing, new cam bearings & freeze plugs installed. The crank was OK with just a polish. Total bill was $145, for total spent so far at $535.00.

If this was going to be any kind of performance, rock solid rebuild, this just wouldn't be adequate. But for this project, it's just right. I've thought about this project alot and I am truly surprised that it is coming together like it has. I mean, what are the odds that I find one yard truck needing so much, then another of the same year and make, that basically needs the exact parts that I have on hand.

I have a date set to pick up the other Jimmy on 7/9. I think I'm going to pull the wheels off the current truck and save another $50 on the new truck. They are just steel wheels with small rubber. Not really worth selling or the hassle.

I will probably not do any wrenching until after the new truck is home. I have 2 of the 3 honey do's completed and need to get the 3rd done to keep the wife happy. If momma ain't happy, nobodies happy. After that point though, watch the rust, dust, mold, hunks of carpet, and broken bolts fly.

HG
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #60
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I picked up the second Jimmy today. It was easier to look it over being out of the weeds. Found a few troubling things, like rusted windshield frame, a few parts missing that I didn't notice (exhaust manifolds, alternator), a bit rustier than I had hoped, but overall I'm happy with it. It rolled around nice and smooth, the tranny shifted and the parking brake worked. Even the regular brakes worked ok. My total spent so far is at $935.00 for two 72 Jimmys and a short block that is ready for rebuild.

I will not spend another dime until I get some parts sold, which means I need to start stripping them off, which means I need to finish the last two home
projects for the wife. It might be a couple weeks before I get to wrenching again.

Wish me luck,
Mike
Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #61
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Heres the pics.

Anyone know if this tank is anything other than home made?

The engine, lacking a few pieces. There is a distributor in the cab, not sure if it's useable.

The body, such that it is:

Old 07-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #62
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

More pics:

And the new score, no replacement for displacement:

I'll still use the 350 in this, but the 400, if useable could be what I use in my C-10 later on, or sold for parts.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-07-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #63
02_GMC_97_FIII

Definite score on the 400 , sits on my wanted list of a future engine for my '72... Nice they had it listed on the glovebox, more thorough than even I would have been.

-Matt

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SS 6.0L AWD 400HP
02_GMC_97_FIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #64
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Here are some pictures of the NWMP 37-gallon tank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...QQcmdZViewItem

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1067...44776425bvKfMj

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1067...44776425whXEtx

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=nwmp
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #65
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not a lot has happened lately as far as making a Jimmy go. I've been either working or chasing after kids with softball. What I have done is work on getting parts I need from the green jimmy and parts for selling. So far, sold about $90 worth and currently listing somemore (see the parts board).

Parts I'm keeping: I got the main part of the grill out, all but 2 bolts holding the front bumper (dam rust), about half the bolts holding the core support. Got the front carpet strip too.

To sell: black front seats, door parts, gas sending unit, seat belts. Working on getting the top off. Again, rusty,stuck bolts. I may need to get an impact out there to loosen a few screws.

Plans continued: I need to see if it's possible to get the 400 turning over. If I get it to spin, I'll try and make it run and use it. If not, I'll order the rebuild kit for the 350 block I have. Still need to pull the side grill pieces and finish pulling the core support and bumper. After the top is off, I plan on cutting off the windshield frame. The black one is rusted. I don't think there is hardly anything else from the green truck I plan to use.

I'm getting a few parts from vtblazer (carb and mirrors) and still need to crawl around the local yard for a distributor or at least a cap and coil, exhaust manifolds, tranny cooler and an alternator.

Total spent now down to $845
Later, Mike
Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #66
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Spent the weekend stripping parts from the green jimmy. Sold so far: top, power brake set up, blazer specific door pieces, glove box door for total of $315.00 cleared. I also am doing a trade and sell with badpeanut, I get an alternator and rear seat holdown bracket and $10, he gets some floor mats, rear hatch bump stops and deluxe foot pedal trim. We both get things we need, thanks for the help badpeanut.

I also bought some needed pieces from board members, Bamm sold me exhaust manifolds for $50. VTblazer is sending me a carb, mirrors and a fan for this project. I also bought seat belts from him for my truck.

So I knocked the total spent down to $570 and still have a lot of parts to get rid of.

The only parts I'm really looking for right now are an HEI coil, battery and I might have those available where the jimmys are stored. I have to look through the guys parts stash. Once my parts are here and the green jimmy is parted out, I'll start working on getting the black one running and post pictures of the progress.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #67
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Sounds like it's really coming along.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #68
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm still just chipping away at selling parts from the green one and taking what I need. I got the exhaust manifolds yesterday thanks to Bamm, I also found the HEI distributor with coil and wires (free).

I got the radiator support out tonight, just need to get the fender eyebrows for the grill and I think I'm about done pulling the parts I'm keeping. This week I sold some little tailgate seal holder plates, horn button, sun visors and some other blazer door parts I found. I should clear about $75.00 after shipping. Total payout so far is down to $495.00.

I have a few other things listed on the parts board. If they don't sell soon, off to ebay with them.

I went to the license dept the other day and showed them the bill of sale and asked for the form to get a new title for the black Jimmy. Turns out that the signatures on the bill are nice, but they want the form signed also. So I need to send the form out to the junkyard for him to sign and return. Then I can apply for a new title and pay the state the required pint of blood.

I'm enjoying the teardown, but don't really like the hassle of selling stuff, but it's part of the deal. I'm just looking forward to when that part is done and out of the way so I can work on the black one. I'm constantly day-dreaming while I'm driving the highways (working) about what steps to take to get it running, thinking about the parts yet to find or get rid of, looking over the pastures and cruising through junkyards all over the area looking for the next donar, etc. It has really filled my days this summer and even if the wife was not exactly thrilled with it, she understands and knows what it means to me.

I hope I've been able to help out a few members here by supplying things they could use. I've also contacted a few about finds I've come across that I just don't have the funds or time for right now. I know I appreciate the help I've gotten here.

Anywho, thanks for reading my little summer Jimmy diary.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #69
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Talked to the guy I bought the black Jimmy from and he'll sign the required papers for a new title. Got that out in the mail.

Got the green jimmy just about completely stripped now. The only things yet to keep are the front axle and the speedo cable. I'm also going to cut some pieces out of the bed floor to use as patches. The tub will go to the scrap yard, maybe later this week.

The guy who owns the place I'm keeping these at is interested in the frame for a project he's working on. If it works for him, I told him he could have it. I owe him for the use of his property and he's been generous with his tools and even let me use his trailer when I bought the Black Jimmy.

Here is what it looked like the other day. Now the top is off, and the fenders and tailgate are going to the scrapyard tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 AM   #70
71jimmy

Sent you a PM!

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #71
mkundo

It looks like you were born under the right sign. That is a great junk yard find.
Dan

Last edited by mkundo; 08-14-2007 at 10:25 PM.
mkundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #72
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally done parting out the green beasty. It went to the scrapyard this morning. Now it's time to look forward. I got a box of stuff from VTblazer yesterday. Can't thank him enough. I also got new license plates yesterday, it's legal and everything. I sent a check out to another member for rocker boxes. I really haven't decided yet what I'll do with them. A lot will depend on the coming weeks work on the truck. Sold some parts, etc and I'll have to do some math, or cipherin' to figure out where I'm at money wise.

Here are the parting shots. The only thing I think I messed up on for stripping this was cutting through the seat bracket under the floor, live and learn. I kept the axles so afr for parts, cut out some patch panels, the windshield fram has some rust, but I think it may be repairable. I know it's in better shape than what is on the black one now.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #73
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I know it was in poor shape but it's still sad to see it like that

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #74
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
I know it was in poor shape but it's still sad to see it like that
I prefer to see the bright side. I got a lot of parts I need to bring back another truck. I also helped a lot of other people find the parts they needed for a project. Virtually nothing was wasted. And this good old steel will now be recycled, possibly for a new car. It's that much more steel not being imported and not wasting away to iron oxide in a junkyard or some field somewhere. To me, it's all good.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #75
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Its In A Better Place Now Rip!!!