The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
msg

Radio mounting strap and AC clearance question

I have a 66 and no radio or speaker. Im looking to get this Custom Audio Sound radio

https://customautosoundmfg.com/produ...t=cam-chtk-740

and a speaker under the dash like this

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/ki...t-speaker.html

I have no idea about what kind of room I will have in between the two devices and if it will have clearance for the AC center vent. Anyone had an installation done with these type devices? The instructions that Ive seen say it comes with a mounting strap that needs to be mounted to an existing bolt or screw on the firewall or dash. I get the feeling I will have to modify the strap or fabricate a bracket from the speaker to the back of the radio.

I had seen this bracket in a pic posted by Woogeroo some time ago. This made me wonder if this is the shape to the bracket/mounting strap I would need to work past the AC vent box and hoses and such.

Last edited by msg; 08-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: Radio mounting strap and AC clearance question

Here are a couple of shots of the Vent box for after market AC that I make I don’t have one showing the radio or the speaker but The speaker and the radio support bracket were made to clear the original AC and the one I make Has plenty of room hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
msg

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how things hook up to the AC under the dash. Mine never had it so I am going to use covettejims center vent assembly
with the vintage air sure fit..and the plan was to order your part. From your pic though Im wondering how I would hook it up? That longer portion of the unit you make looks to connect to what I dont have as part of my firewall.

here is my under dash currently
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how things hook up to the AC under the dash. Mine never had it so I am going to use covettejims center vent assembly
with the vintage air sure fit..and the plan was to order your part. From your pic though Im wondering how I would hook it up? That longer portion of the unit you make looks to connect to what I dont have as part of my firewall.

here is my under dash currently
That logger part that you’re referring to hooks to the hose that goes to your AC unit it is a little longer So you have clearance if running Deluxe controls it does not connect to anything on the firewall it’s just the angle of the picture
Old 08-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
That logger part that you’re referring to hooks to the hose that goes to your AC unit it is a little longer So you have clearance if running Deluxe controls it does not connect to anything on the firewall it’s just the angle of the picture
Whew! Thought I had to rethink the whole thing. I do have a deluxe control unit Im restoring now and plan to use with the vintage air. Order will be coming your way soon, thanks.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Whew! Thought I had to rethink the whole thing. I do have a deluxe control unit Im restoring now and plan to use with the vintage air. Order will be coming your way soon, thanks.
Vintage air uses cables Converters slide switches That take the place of the cables
Name:  26178BFC-1C67-45F4-AD9E-074DFA26D2F6.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  36.4 KB
Old 08-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Vintage air uses cables Converters slide switches That take the place of the cables
Attachment 2043695
Thanks for that, should help with less cables to route.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
msg

Hey nsb29, the instructions in your kit I had a few questions about. I had previously drilled 4 holes to for CorvetteJims faceplate on the dash before I purchased your box. It looks like I only need to drill 2 more holes at the top to mount your box to the back of the dash. Is this right?

Do you have any step by step pics of how to do an install? The jnuts in the kit I assume clip onto edge of the plastic box you have and then the screws that I am putting through the front faceplate are meant to thread into the jnuts of your box I think.

Is there a length of screws to use? The ones I had in the vent assembly kit may be a bit long. You can see the top on in the pic Im attaching.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
nsb29

Yes the J nuts clipped onto the edge of the box in alignment with the holes a one inch # 6 screw Use the template that I sent you for the two additional holes after you have installed the box using those two additional screws install the face plate you got from Jim to the other four holes the reason for the additional screws is the help take the wait off the face plate I also recommend installing your vent hose to the box before installing it is a tight fit it difficult to do once installed have found some of the hose varies in size
Old 09-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #10
msg

Thanks for the info, I have ordered the vintage air kit and I think it will take a few weeks for them to have it delivered. Ill wait to do the final install once I have it all, good to know about the hoses being installed first. Until then Im trying to get the radio, speaker and vent assembly fitted to see how I can add support to the radio.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #11
msg

Having some trouble with the 2" vent hose in the Vintage air kit and the AC vent box. Is there a trick to expanding the hose? This is the closest Ive gotten.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
nsb29

Here’s a picture of mine with the hoses on I bought a foot of 2 1/2 inch duct hose from the part store back when I made the mold and it went on OK but when I got my vintage air kit it was a real fight I have asked other people that have bought my box and said yes it was tight but they were able to get it on and of course you want a snug fit so that the house stays on I sent you a p.m. with my phone number

Last edited by nsb29; 01-24-2021 at 01:31 PM.
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #13
nsb29

[Name:  82160988-B43F-48CC-8702-92B4E6C23672.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  25.4 KB
Forgot the picture