The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
msg

Assembly Manual referencing for a 1966?

I have the 1960-1966 Assembly manual PDF and when I have need to reference it I have looked for what looks close to what I am working with in the document since there arent any section dividers per year. Most of these models were pretty similar right? And when different it's obvious like the hood or dash? Just wanted to make sure Im referencing the manual right.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Assembly Manual referencing for a 1966?

Just be aware there are some pics in there of cab over engine compartments from what I can tell. Ya not referenced very well as far as a publication. That's because the pages were actually gathered from the assembly lines in various years/models and put together as a book, not by GM. Be aware of the year if it's obvious to you.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Ditto what The Rocknrod said.

I have a paper copy of that book, and from what I can see, it appears as though they tried to organize the pages somewhat in order of year.

The first third or so of the book covers the assembly of 1960 models. Then the remainder covers only the things that changed with each subsequent model year.

Throughout the book there are pages listing the RPO (regular production number) option codes. It appears as though they used those pages as dividers to separate the sections by year. And (at least in the book I have) there are hand written model years at/near the top of most of those RPO number pages.

So to look up something for a 1966, start near the end in the section that's after the 1966 RPO number page. If you don't find it there, work your way back through the earlier years until you find an illustration that matches. And since these pages were gathered after the fact, these publications aren't always 100% complete.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
msg

Thanks guys, its been helpful for sure to have but that organization is scattered-for a reason I can better understand now. I have noticed the handwritten Years on some pages as dividers like you mentioned Ray. I have written a directory of my own to reference and once Im ever done with this build and have time Ill better organize it and share if it helps another here.